DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:43 AM

Default Ever have band mates tell you your kit is too big?

This hasn't happened to me yet, I only have a 5 piece set with 3 cymbals and hi-hat. But seen it happen to someone else. I'm always impressed when I see huge stacks of speaker cabinets and heads. Also impressed when I see Large drum kits but I was surprised to learn some people in bands don't like it when drummers have big kits. Anyone know why?
Old 11-20-2012, 04:55 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Ever have band mates tell you your kit is too big?

They are obviously jealous or feel inadequate in their presence.

If not, they probably have visions of Animal on the kit.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun2021 View Post
They are obviously jealous or feel inadequate in their presence.
Yes haha I use a 4 piece 2 crashes an ozone and a ride and they make fun of me for having to take all this stuff. They say all they need is a guitar (multiple)... and amp... and pedals and cables... and to try and project as much as my obnoxious size kit :P
Old 11-20-2012, 05:06 AM
Platinum Member

Only when it came time to load the van.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Only when it came time to load the van.
+1

yes, playing the flute would have been easier but they don't have to rub it in
Old 11-20-2012, 07:12 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I've received those comments. I like it when they say, the stage is small, can you bring a smaller kit? I (used to) have a kick, 3 toms, 3 crashes, hats and ride. The toms and one crash are on top of the bass footprint, negating them, the 2 remaining crash cymbals are in the space created by my hats and ride negating them. So even if I had a 2 piece kit I would take up the same footprint. I think they think that we take up too much stage space, but hey if you want drums it takes what it takes. Last time I checked I wasn't able to shrink myself and my drums.

Guitarists most definitely, at least in my world, prefer it when drummers have minimal kits. I think they think that it's an indication that we won't play a lot. Guy comes walking in, like me for instance, with literally 14 different things to hit, (5 drums, 4 crashes, ride, hats, 2 cowbells and a tambourine, which btw takes up the same space as a kick, snare hats and ride) and they think "OK here we go...lead drummer..."
Old 11-20-2012, 07:52 AM

I had a bass player once tell me that all drummers need is hats, kick, snare and a ride.

I was playing a four piece at the time with 2 crash/rides, crash and hats. So its not like it was a monster kit.

My pet peeve is when they setup the stage before me and dont leave enough room for me to setup.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

Whatever floats your boat, big small, many pieces, few.
I actually am not impressed by loads of amps, stacks etc. I like an open stage with few smaller powerful amps. Also amps are far worse for loading in/out than drums. Those heavy magnets!
As for drums, i find many band members don't understand the footprint of a 4 and 6 piece or 2 versus 4 cymbals are pretty much the same.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenu View Post
I had a bass player once tell me a drummer only needs......
which is why he should stay quiet and be the bass player
Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I had a bass player once tell me that all drummers need is hats, kick, snare and a ride.
Technically, I agree with him. Give me those 4 bare essentials and I could get my way through any gig I'm ever likely to be found in. I've actually played gigs many times with exactly that minimalist set up.

But if he's suggesting that's all we should be using as a matter of course, then yeah, he can shove that for an idea.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Uh, never a band-mate... But several of the ladies have mentioned that my kit was just too big.

Giggity.

And for those of you with small kits... Don't worry. It's really not the size of your kit that counts.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
He's bass he has no room to talk haha I'll use just that stuff if it really called for it but even a rack tom wouldn't take up more space, neither would a floor
Old 11-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member

I actually have the opposite problem... I almost always play with a 1 up 1 down setup and my band regularly jokes about it being small. lol
Old 11-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

Most people who say that fall into two categories:

1) They don't understand drums.
2) They think anyone with more than two toms or two cymbals is trying to "show off" (also, see #1).

Now, if you bring five toms and nine cymbals to something like a Waylon Jennings tribute band setting, you probably will be laughed at a bit. But then, so would you if you showed up to a Rush tribute gig with a four-piece with two cymbals.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
My pet peeve is when they setup the stage before me and dont leave enough room for me to setup.
Me too. That is why I always get there first. Peace and goodwill.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:04 PM

As a guitar player, let me say: There are more bad drummers with large kits than good drummers with small kits. I think the problem is guilt by association. Past experience has told us that the quality of drumming is inversely proportional to kit size.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

I got that comment (again) from my bass player at the start of last night's practice. I was so rushed, I brought a 4 piece + a couple of cymbals. I told him I bring what's (IMO) appropriate for the gig, & asked if he'd be happy converting 2 octave passages with 3 strings on his plank!

When I use my 6 piece, it's mainly for melodic expression. I don't care what anyone says, melodic rock stuff on a 4 piece just doesn't have the requisite breadth of range. If I was grooving all the time, with the occasional in groove fill, I'd probably be using a 3 piece, in fact, a 3 piece is my next kit :)
Old 11-20-2012, 05:56 PM

Try this- when someone tells you to get rid of some drums because they don't like the way it looks....suggest they remove some of their guitar strings or get rid of some effects pedals because you don't like the way it looks.

This type of crap irritates me. People think they can just push drummers around. I had one guy telling me he would never get onstage with me if I was on a riser. Apparently he was a big WHO fan and Keith Moon didn't use risers, so I wasn't "allowed" to use one either. Whatever.

Right now I am running a pretty big kit- five acoustic drums, five pads, five cymbals and a hi-hat. And on a big old rack too.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Generally, my experience is that people find a biggish kit impressive.

It's quite popular to bring a 4-piece for logistical reasons, but even those players often would like to bring more if it was less of a hassle. If you're willing to carry it, you can bring what you want.

Offcourse it would look a little out of place if someone brought it just for looks, like 11 toms and alla sorts of cymbals to play Eagles and Creedence tunes, but then again I don't know anyone who whould.

The common thing is still a 5-piece, crash + ride and eventually a splash and/or a cowbell.

My kit is a 6-piece 3 splashes, 3 crashes, ride and china. I don't need all those cymbals, and I hardly bring the full kit to local things, because it's inappropriate, but bringing all the cymbals if I took the whole kit would be much more work and the only thing that actually changes the footprint a little bit is the china. Everything else doesn't make a difference and has to be in it's respective place.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:16 PM

So many drummers today are going with smaller kits. A lot of drummers around here are buying the four piece kits with two crash ride, or thin ride cymbals. My bassist is in two bands, and in the apposing band, the drummer plays with a 20x18 kick. And I mean 20 deep, 18' wide. The high tom is super small, and the floor tom is like 14x14. It's the same brand of drums Travis Barker uses.

I use a four piece kit myself, but I have 3 cymbals and some hats. I have an 30 year old 18" Zildjian A Medium crash (I put a bit of gaffe tape on the bottom, so it functions as a crash ride, a 20" Sabian Pro rock ride taped up to dry out. Then I have a very old 18" ride of unknown brand. It's nice and dry, but also very crashable. I just have to be able to get a lot of colors out of each cymbal I use.

I prefer a big kick drum - 24" or 26", but my current kick is 22x18. I never get complaints that my setup is too big, because... obviously it isn't. But I'm able to use the equipment I have to its maximum potential. I've never been called an awesome drummer, but I've had many come up to me after a show say "Hey man, you're a really solid drummer." For me, That's a MUCH bigger compliment.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:20 PM

I've had comments on how small my kit is - 4 piece, 2 crashes, hats, ride, china, splash and bell.

It's not that small cymbal-wise but I have it all on two stands, doesn't look as cluttered or take as much lugging as if there was one stand per cymbal.

Stand 1 - High tom on a gibralter L-arm clamp, 16" crash on the boom, splash on a lightweight clamp with the bell inverted on top.

Stand 2 - 14" crash on a boom, ride on a heavy clamp and china on a heavy clamp.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

If it did happen to me ,I would just ignore the comment.But one guy most of have heard of DID take it seriously.Bonzo's first Ludwig kit was double bass,and he did play it for a while till Jonsey and Page told him to lose the other bass drum.

I would have loved to hear what Bonzo would have done with double bass a few years down the line.

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 11-20-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shild View Post
This hasn't happened to me yet, I only have a 5 piece set with 3 cymbals and hi-hat. But seen it happen to someone else. I'm always impressed when I see huge stacks of speaker cabinets and heads. Also impressed when I see Large drum kits but I was surprised to learn some people in bands don't like it when drummers have big kits. Anyone know why?
It's a way to keep the drummer in his place, I think. Such bandmates have bought into the "less is more so therefore less is better" approach. Perhaps they don't want the drummer stealing too much attention. In some settings, a huge kit is clearly inappropriate or goofy, as is a small one when a big one is called for.

I think at least two thirds of drummers play on mid-sized kits of 5 to 8 pieces, so this obsession over big vs. small kits is amusing. It's the fringes arguing against each other.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoom View Post
As a guitar player, let me say: There are more bad drummers with large kits than good drummers with small kits. I think the problem is guilt by association. Past experience has told us that the quality of drumming is inversely proportional to kit size.
Past experience has taught me that people who play small kits secretly wish to be mistaken for jazz drummers.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:30 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I got that comment (again) from my bass player at the start of last night's practice. I was so rushed, I brought a 4 piece + a couple of cymbals. I told him I bring what's (IMO) appropriate for the gig, & asked if he'd be happy converting 2 octave passages with 3 strings on his plank!

When I use my 6 piece, it's mainly for melodic expression. I don't care what anyone says, melodic rock stuff on a 4 piece just doesn't have the requisite breadth of range. If I was grooving all the time, with the occasional in groove fill, I'd probably be using a 3 piece, in fact, a 3 piece is my next kit :)
I'm with you on this Andy. I get constant grief from our lead singer/ rhythm guitarist about my kit (same set up as yours, 3 racks, 1 floor, ocasionally 2, pearl rack to make the footprint as small as poss). So I turn up to a gig last month with a 4 piece, 2 crashes, 1 ride, no effects cymbals, just stands instead of the rack, set up in 10 min and then watched him faff about for an hour with guitars, mandolins, amps, pedal boards guitar synths etc. Then he complains that the little kit doesn't have enough visual impact! I don't carry anything with me even on the big kit that I don't use extensively in the set- he plays some synth on 2 tracks. Sometimes I just feel like giving him a good kicking... in a loving way, obviously. I console myself with the fact that I can at least play everything I carry...
Old 11-21-2012, 02:55 AM
Platinum Member

I was helping out a buddy on a last minute casual, playing guitar and he had called some guy who didn't play out much but he'd heard somewhere and played okay. This is in the afternoon at some little biker bar in the mountains playing some blues and maybe a bit of classic rock. The drummer shows up kind of late with a Suburban and starts pulling drums out of it. And keeps pulling drums out of it. I realize why he's late. He's taken down some monster kit set up in his garage and packed the whole thing into his truck. We are trying to tell him that there is no room or need for all that stuff and he looks wounded. Someone had finally called him for a gig and he wanted to impress everyone with his killer drum kit. Which was some older midrange stuff that wasn't particularly well tuned (even for the beat heads that were on it) and as suspected, played very well. He was kind of all over the place. I shudder to think what he would have done if there'd been time or room to set up his whole rig. Probably non-stop Inagaddadavida.

Since I don't play prog anymore, or arena rock, I'm kind of suspicious of someone bringing a 7-10 piece kit to a blues or r&b gig. My Renowns came as a 6 piece. I've never set up more than various combinations of 5 pieces at home to fool around. And for the kinds of gigs I do, I've never taken more than a 4 piece. Maybe there will be some gig where a 5 piece is justified (although before that I'd probably take a side snare for a funk gig) but I wouldn't know where to put all 6 and still be able to play comfortably. I can't justify reaching extra far for a ride or hat just to fit another tom in somewhere.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:27 AM

I am feeling pretty liberated these days with my kit. Its a 6 piece, 2 mandala pads a drumkat, Hats, 2 crash rides, crash and China. Triggering and mixing it all through ableton on a MB Pro. The band is Electro rock (think Depeche Mode) so I think it is not OTP for this band.

I share a rehearsal space with the ex bassist that I was in a band with. He said that out of all the drummers he knows that I have the craziest , biggest setup. Ha. Mind you he is playing Indie-folk-rock music.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 AM

just once, but it made me think outside the box, which is always cool; blues guy from nashville by the name of steve byam. I am lucky enough to have a fairly regular gig with him, and on the first one he saw what i had in the back of my truck. told me he hates rack toms, loves percussion toys, and preffers detuned snares. so i ended up leaving some stuff in my truck and bringing anything that shook, rattled, or produced a tone low enough to feel in the floor. Ended up feeling great. I know do that with every gig i have with him.

First band told me my set up was unusually small for what they were used to, but not too small; the drummer i was replacing had a 7 piece kit with something like 13 cymbals; i came in with a simple 2 crash, 2 tom, kick snare hat ride set up. they ended up loving it, as their last drummer always seemed to be worried more about justifying his big kit by hitting everything at least once in every song and i like to find a good pocket and then mess around with beat displacement, which really worked well as were kind of a deftones, glassjaw type hardcore group. Ahh, high school....
Old 11-21-2012, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

I like my 6-piece. In some ways it can be looked at as two 5-piece kits. It don't usually bring it all because I haven't done those types of gigs yet, but I love the idea of playing a kit that I just feel suits me, call it my instrument and my style and be done with it.

Simon Phillips gets away with it and his kit is like twice the size of mine.

This four piece kit for jazz thing is also a bit funny, because when I look at the kits of the well known jazz drummers that's not usually what I see.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:52 AM
Platinum Member

I've haven't had that problem about the size of my kit but a couple of guys did try to push me to use a bigger bass drum. When I told them I was actually considering going down to a 20" they seemed irritated. Whatever.

I get the "you only need kick/snare/hats/ride" thing but honestly there are not many situations where I would consider doing this. It would have to be a very stripped down groove oriented/unplugged set. Most gigs that I've done have required some tom work where a tom part was a prominent part of the song so I feel a 4 piece is ideal for most situations. A rack and floor doesn't take any room away from anyone else so why not have it?

If someone told me they didn't like a certain aspect of the drum set (like a rack tom? Really??) they could shove it. If you need me to add some specific effect then fine but I'll keep my core kit the way I like, thank you very much. Only exception is if it was a recording session for an artist that wanted something specific and I was getting paid to give them what they wanted.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:31 AM

I'm pretty sure that if you want me as the drummer, then you have to accept my tools.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member

Yes.

But whatever.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:46 AM

Chics tell me that all the time.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

Thank goodness for this phenomenon...

...it helps weed out the people you dont want to be trying to form a project with.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:52 PM

If someone told me they didn't like a certain aspect of the drum set (like a rack tom? Really??) they could shove it. If you need me to add some specific effect then fine but I'll keep my core kit the way I like, thank you very much. Only exception is if it was a recording session for an artist that wanted something specific and I was getting paid to give them what they wanted.[/quote]

I definately see what your saying; if im in a situation and not getting paid and someones trying to go all prima donna boss man on me, they can shove it. In this particular situation, i respected the player very much (steve's a hell of a musician and a nice guy), it pays well every time, and i enjoy opportunities to round out my playing, such as situations where im out of my element and asked to think outside the box; i feel it makes me more well rounded as a drummer, and being flexible keeps me pretty busy. But again, i can see where your coming from.