Playing with records to develop great feel.

i play along to songs all the time, mostly to learn them for my band. but if you want to learn to play a particular groove very well, it's probably better to work on it without playing along to anything. i sometimes play a particular groove, like the fool in the rain shuffle, for long periods to a metronome with no fills. i'm not trying to learn the grooves. i can already play them at least somewhat, but i'm focusing on making them feel really good. my drum teacher does that and he taught me to do it too.

i also second the advice about recording yourself. i do that a lot and like others have said, it can be a real eye opener, even shocking at times. you can hear all kinds of things that need improvement in a recording and it'll help you isolate exactly what needs to be worked on.

Charlie Daniel's "Devil went to Georgia", Bela Fleck's "BigFoot", Dave Weckl's "Softly as in morning sunrise", Cream's "Crossroads" (live version, of course), Smashing Pumpkin's "Zero", Sepultura's "Territory", ELP's "Hoedown", Genesis' "Cinema Show", Rage Against the Machine's "Freedom", the Police's "Miss Gradenko", Jimi Hendrix's "Machine Gun", Vampire Weekend's "A-Punk"

I believe that playing along to drumless tracks may be more valuable for a drummer. This defeats the idea that your playing along to an established groove or feel. You make it your own and your the only one drumming. Its helped me immensely, especially when I record it, it really helps you to find your right place in songs. Its been a fantastic tool for me and I recommend it to everyone especially to drummers that aren't out there gigging or jamming with live musicians.

Here are some of my "groovy little tunes" that I sometimes play to with varying degrees of success.

Let It Be - The Beatles
Thorn In My Pride - The Black Crowes
Wiser Time - TBC
Tied Up & Swallowed - TBC
Off The Wall - Little Walter
Peter Gunn Theme - The Blues Brothers
Broken Hearts - Living ColourFrosty - Albert Collins
Six Inch Heels - Duke Robillard
When The Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin
Hey You - Oz Noy

Ahh, love that song - neat little bass solo in there too!

Roxanne, Murder By Numbers - Police
Josie - Steely Dan
Rock With You - MJ
Just What I Needed - Cars
Badge - Clapton
Time - Pink Floyd
Jump - Van Halen
All My Love - Zep

Back