Bop Kits - Your Recommendations

Jonathan Curtis

Silver Member
I was looking quite seriously at a Gretsch New Classic until I found out that they're made in Asia, not the USA. I've read reviews which have said they lack "that Gretsch sound" because of this, and suddenly their pedigree seems compromised.

Can any recommend any top like (pro level) bop kits, preferably with pedigree/made in the states. I'm especially interested in Gretsch and Ludwig, bop sizes and set up.

Thanks

I have the New Classics... and yes they are made in Taiwan but the build quality is excellent in my opinion and they have a great sound to them with a wide tuning range. They don't choke out too soon at higher tunings which is what you want for jazz/bop.

I second that on the Gretsch New Classics. I love mine and yes the build quality is super. Johnathan, I don't know what reviews you read, but I'll say that is bs. I would suggest you go check them out for yourself. Peten is right on the money. The drums have a wide tuning range, don't choke at higher tensions, and again are very well built.

That's good to hear. Is the New Classic a pro level kit? Looking through the Gretsch catalogue, they seem to be the only pro level kit (if you exclude the USA custom), yet they are made in Asia. Why is that?

The New Classic and the Renowns are assembled in Asia and/or Mexico, but they use 99% of the same parts as the USA Customs. Same wood in the shells, same hardware, and most importantly, the same quality assurance process. "Made in Asia" doesn't have to mean "cheap and crappy build quality". Yamaha, Mapex, Pearl, etc... are all Asian companies and they make some of the best instruments in the world.

I have the Renowns and they sound great. Some day, I'll save up enough for a USA Custom set, but for me the Renowns hit the sweet spot for price, features, and build quality.

late last year i bought a Sonor Bop kit for my church / gig. the shells were $400 & i added hardware to bring it up to $750 out-the-door. overall the Sonor was bang for the buck...good BD sound, toms & floor pretty good. snare "ok" but got an passable sound. FUN to play & neat hardware. bass drum pedal was impressive for so cheap (400 series - about $50)

however, the Ludwig EPIC jazz kit in 18, 12, 14, 14 sounded SICK. i almost got it knowing it would break my hardware budget. i still think about this kit. just out of the box, the toms were AMAZING, world-class tone...snare was AMAZING, studio ready & kick was "ok" (i think not tuned up). other more expensive Ludwigs were equally bad-ass.

the Gretsch where i bought didnt really sway me. however, at other stores the Gretsch catalina in 18, 12, 14, 14, was very very good. just wan't fully ready to buy, still browsing. Yamaha in other stores didn't sway me & i spent some time trying tuning ranges. more of a rock sound.

Really? What differentiates a USA Custom from a New Classic then? A lug nut?

Different shell configuration, and the USA customs have tons of options for sizes, finishes, hardware, etc. New Classics are only available in a small number of standard configurations with only a couple component options.

If you wanna spring for a little more, I have the Brooklyn series and they are awesome. Made in the USA plant.
p.s. when you're looking, the satin finished kits are cheaper than the wrapped kits. fyi

STOP PRESS!

I've just found out that for us in Europe, we can buy the Gretsch USA Standard, which are stock USA Customs, essentially. They are exactly the same as a set of USA Customs, except not made to order. You buy set sizes and finishes. All the info here: http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/drums/usa-standard-kit-503719/review

They have those here, too. USA Customs in "pre-configured" shell packs.

To answer your other post, what differentiates the Renowns from the USA Customs is the same thing that differentiates the mass market mid-level kits from the top-tier kits from any manufacturer -- customization and shell composition.

Gretsch can lay out 2-3 configurations for a kit using a single shell type as a base, in 4-5 finishes, and tell their plant in Asia to crank out 10,000 units every 3 months. These kits look and feel like the "pro" kits, at 1/3 of the cost to manufacture. They then justify the price of a USA Custom kit by allowing choices in wood type, finish, sizes, etc. and these kits take 6 months each to build.

Are the shells exactly the same? No, but they are still North American Rock Maple (maybe with a ply or 2 of a cheaper maple mixed in there). Is that enough of a difference to keep costs down while maintaining "That Great Gretsch Sound"?? To my ears, yes, it's a good trade-off.

Are the die-cast hoops and the other mounting hardware the same?
Yes, probably. They use the same Gibraltar hardware made in Asia that they use on the USA Customs (probably from a factory in the same town).

Do they paint the interior with Gretsch Silver Sealer? Yes, although just like the 5-lug toms this is arguably a marketing thing. They claim that this is still part of "That Great Gretsch Sound". They know more about making drums than I do. I just know that my Renowns sound great and I love playing them.

You've been given all the same info I'd of shared.

I own a set of New Classics and USA Customs. Both are equally Gretsch and are equally incredible!

Saving the buck, I'd have no issue going with New Classics or Brooklyns (which I've never played but seen clips of).

Not sure if it matters or not to you but unless things have changed since I last looked, Brooklyn's do not have the traditional 14x18 Bop sized bass drum. New Classics & USA Customs do.

The is nothing wrong with the Gretsch kits made over seas. I have a Renown kit and previously owned a set of NC's. The Renowns kits use the identical hardware as the USA customs although you can't get an 18" kick in the US, only Europe. The New Classics are wonderful drums but getting up there in price, about the same as Brooklyns. I feel the NC's are one of the best sounding in the Gretsch line. The new Brooklyn series drums are US built and very fairly priced. Got to Justdrums.com and see their Gretsch pricing after you place a kit in your cart, Of course the USA Customs are top line and top dollar. Otherwise if you are hell bent on USA only drums. Ludwig Classic Maple and Legacy series are built to order right here in the USA. Download their build file from the website and design your kit. Then you send it to your dealer for pricing. I have a 20,12,14,14sn red glass glitter Legacy kit and have been very pleased.

Really? What differentiates a USA Custom from a New Classic then? A lug nut?

USA Customs are made in the US (obviously), the New Classics have shells with the same Maple/Gum formula, but they get thicker as the size increases, unlike USA Customs which are 6 ply. They also have more limited sizes and very different hardware. The Renown, as has been mentioned before, is 100% Maple. And the Brooklyn series is USA made and Maple/poplar shells (similar to Ludwig Legacy and the vintage 70's Ludwig kits).

NC-S483 14" x 18" 8" x 12" 14" x 14"

This configuration is available in the new Classic.

USA Customs are made in the US (obviously), the New Classics have shells with the same Maple/Gum formula, but they get thicker as the size increases, unlike USA Customs which are 6 ply. They also have more limited sizes and very different hardware. The Renown, as has been mentioned before, is 100% Maple. And the Brooklyn series is USA made and Maple/poplar shells (similar to Ludwig Legacy and the vintage 70's Ludwig kits).

I don't mean to cause confusion or controversy because I in know way claim to know the answer, but I have heard the New Classics are actually Maple/Poplar/Maple.

Does not matter to me either way because they are ridiculously fabulous drums to own, tune and play.

NC-S483 14" x 18" 8" x 12" 14" x 14"

This configuration is available in the new Classic.

This is the configuration of what I own.

Just thought I'd throw this out there, The Renown groove set comes with a 20" bass drum (great for jazz and more versatile than 18") and an "extra" tom than the bop kits. Way less expensive than the NC or Brooklyn with equal or close build quality.

Just thought I'd throw this out there, The Renown groove set comes with a 20" bass drum (great for jazz and more versatile than 18") and an "extra" tom than the bop kits. Way less expensive than the NC or Brooklyn with equal or close build quality.

That's probably the way I'd go if I just had to have Gretsch. I could always add an 18" kick later, if I still felt it necessary. Lots of flexibility that way.

Back