Gig Recording

buzzbuzz

I am totally ignorant when it comes to this stuff so bear w/ me.

We play a lot of clubs. Is there a way to get a decent recording of our gig? Our guitar player (I believe) has a Tascam recorder that he has used at practices that is not too bad. But, we just put it in the middle of the room. Just wondering if there was such a thing as sticking a CD in the soundboard during the gig.

Recording is good, but its now 2011, video is so cheap and way more fun, its also allows you to peep and work on your stage presence. The band can see what it looks like, who's acknowledging mistakes, who could move more, etc.

You can get in for less than $300, take it home and plug into your TV watch the gig and get to bed at 5 am

plug into the sound board OR as mentioned above, have someone shoot your gig on vid.

F

Recording the gig (and listening back) is the very best thing you can do to improve yourself. I'm glad you're wanting to record. Sometimes it's hard to video the gig...(unless someone is willing to do it for you) the room is too shallow, people dancing obstructing the view, people bumping the camera, but audio is easy to do anywhere. I agree video is great, but if you can't video it, audio it any way you can.

The audio on my Sony video camera is kinda cheesy, I never liked Sony's audio, and there is no external input to use a good mic with, so I always audio it even if I video it.

I like to set (and hide) my audio recorder (Olympus LS10) on something up high like a TV over peoples heads, that way peoples conversations aren't prominent, and it less likeley to get lifted.

I get a good capture that way too, you can hear the music really clear.

Get a Zoom H2 or an Olympus LS10. Those things are worth their weight in gold if you want to know what you REALLY sound like lol.

Agree with Larry. If you can only record audio, the H2 will do it. In fact, if you have both the H2 and a video camera, it's not hard to record the audio through the console and have someone run the video camera, then you can sync the two files in the computer so then you have the best of both worlds. The person running the video camera has to know not to start or stop or anything so the files will be somewhat together to begin with.

Get a Zoom H2 or an Olympus LS10. Those things are worth their weight in gold if you want to know what you REALLY sound like lol.

Maybe if you got one as gift, but to buy them?

H2 is $150 the LS10 $200+ neither have video.

Again its 2011... for $250-300 you can have (ZOOM) H4 quality audio and video with a ZOOM Q3

Q3 will also just record (hours and hours) of audio too.

You need need video to make a sex tape after the gig.

Killer audio with video, Q3 is a no brainer.

OK Les, I hear that. Video is better, as long as the audio it makes is good quality.

Back