Using a 10'' tom as main rack

rjshankle

Does anyone here use 10'' tom as main rack tom? I experimented with it last night and I do like it a lot. I think it sounds great with a 10, 14, 16 combo. The only hang up I have is the fact that I'm 6'3 and it looks tiny in front of me. What do you guys think?

Does anyone here use 10'' tom as main rack tom? I experimented with it last night and I do like it a lot. I think it sounds great with a 10, 14, 16 combo. The only hang up I have is the fact that I'm 6'3 and it looks tiny in front of me. What do you guys think?

I use the 10" as my main. 10 and 14"...often with a 16" as well. I love the sound of 10" toms.

120611drums.jpg

I have a 10" rack for the last 20 years and I love it, alongside 12" & 14" floor toms with a 22" bass drum and a 14"x5" snare.

Many pro-drummers have a 10" rack tom, Benny Greb, Jost Nickel, just to name a couple...

Attachments

• Benny Greb 5.jpg
    Benny Greb 5.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 4,561
Jojo Mayer and Zoro have also used 10" toms as their only rack. I tried it, and I like it. When I take my Pearl's out for a gig, I use the 10" as the rack and a 14" floor when I go small. You shouldn't be concerned with how big you'll look. If you like it and it sounds great, that should be what matters.

For my rock bands I prefer the larger toms (usually 12, 14 and 16), but when I'm just jamming I love having the 10" on top, often with just a 14" floor.

I used a 10" for a long time and liked it.

Then I used a 12" for a long time after wanting to try something different, and I liked it.

I liked them both so well, I couldn't make up my mind which I liked the best so I went with both!

a 10 makes a nice sound, it just rules out doing a lot of Zep covers.

A 9x10 finetone Eames was my main and only rack time for many years. I like the extra depth for more projection and it offers more bottom naturally. I don't care what things look like I care about sound, comfort and playing ability. Why are so many drummers concerned about the looks of their set up? I just don't get it. if your a good looking man behind an ugly kit your still good looking if your a dog your a dog regardless whats around hahahaha!!! I have basicly used a 9x10//14x14//a 22' or 20" or 18" for my kick even a 24" way back in the mid sixties. If it sounds good play it, if weighs less all the better! Doc

I have done it in the past, and have been considering doing it again. This thread has made me decide to do it. My floor toms are both 14x14. Peace and goodwill.

Playing just a 10" rack tom with a 14" or 16" floor tom would be like looking at a beautiful woman with a front tooth missing. It could certainly be done, but I would much rather have the gap filled in.

Dennis

Sure why not?

I've ran 8,10,12 for some very funky small gigs. It does look a bit silly but it's still funky as heck sounding and it fit the music set just fine.

real question is, how are you tuning it?

...in general, I love the 9" -12" range for hitting the sweet spot of my hearing live....but in processed cans I find 11" - 14" carrying wider freq better than the smaller shells...I think the mikes Im used to hearing cut high freq more than low...will investigate that...thanks for getting me thinking!

Playing just a 10" rack tom with a 14" or 16" floor tom would be like looking at a beautiful woman with a front tooth missing. It could certainly be done, but I would much rather have the gap filled in.

Dennis

Less teeth can be a good th....nevermind.

If runs down the toms are important to you, then yes you might need another tom to fill the gap. Personally I don't mind a smaller rack if it is more defined, but my floor should be big, deep and throaty, something you can really feel when you hit it.

Danny Carey goes small up top but big down bottom. Some people just like their wom- I mean their kit to be that way.

Last edited:
Back