Isolation Ear Monitors

Witterings

Silver Member
Hi all,
I'm currently using these http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/PersonalMonitorSystems/us_pro_SCL2_content
as ear monitors for playing to CD's at home and whilst they're great I have always had a problem with with ipod type earphones as they always fall out of my ears and so do these especially as I move whilst I play. Someone looked at the shape of my ears once and thought they looked different to other peoples and hence probably why I have such a problem.
I need something that has sound isolation as when these are in properly I've found them absolutely brilliant and means I can play the volume through the phones very low as I've hurt my ears playing too lound in the past.
Does anybody know of anything similar but that's held into the ear in anyway or good headphones that would offer the same level of sound isolation ????
Many thanks in advance !!!

I've been using SCL3s myself. I had to try different sleeves to get them to stay in longer than 15 minutes. But even with that, they don't make it longer than 30.

So, I took the leap at NAMM and picked up a pair of custom fitted Westone ES3X's. They fit better, they sound better (by miles!) and they stay in. Expensive, but still less than I've paid, hoping about from brand to brand over the years, looking for non-custom plugs that work.

From a pure isolation POV, I think these phones beat the snot out of the Shures. Combo them with your plugs and you can turn the volume WAY down.

I use sennheiser IE-6 in-ear monitors and I have to tape them into my ear. I have a couple of rolls of medical tape in my bag that keep the monitors in my ear. I know several people who have the same problem and tape seems to by the common solution for most of them. It looks kind of weird because I have short hair, but sometimes you have to go with function over form

I use Shure in ear phones for practicing also... but I use the foam plugs with them as opposed to the rubber / silicone ones... they seem to stay put much better. Mine never fall out or move at all really. You can order replacement foam plugs in diff sizes as well...

The key though is to squeeze the foam prior to inserting the phone into your ear so you can get it in far enough... then let the foam expand to keep it in place.

I like most musicians started out using ear buds from several different company's, but had the same problems everybody has. Not to mention they're not cheap. I recently started using the new drmearz drm-1 custom fitted in ear monitors for drummers. The isolation @ 26 db allows me to hear myself clearly while keeping out all the loud stage volume. Because they are custom fit for my ears only, they never fall out no matter how much head banging I do. I put my whole drum mix + my vocals + sequence & click. Depending on the size of the stage I will also mix in some bass & guitar. They are & actually designed by a real drummer for us drummers. I was skeptical @ first because the price is so inexpensive compared to most custom iem company's, but I noticed they sponsor "Nick Rich" (Buddy Rich's Grandson) & that gave them enough street credit for me to try them. Its worth atleast checking them out. I hope this helps with your decision.......

I went the expensive route, I bought (and it was the best investment I have made since buying my drums) Ultimate Ears in-ear monitors. however, there are cheaper alternatives. those http://drmearz.com/custom-fitted-in-ear-monitors-products-order-online.php look AWESOME too!!!

you can go old school, and use over-ear headphones and a headband like Stewart Copeland and Rick Allen did in the 80's lol!

as far as keeping ear buds in your ear, I have no idea on how to do that other than some kind of headband or something that goes over your ears. hmmmm

I strongly recommend m-audio IE 10's. They are affordable and built tough. Have had mine for 2.5 years and they perform as new.
I use them for practice along with the vic firth headphones for extra protection.
It works great and blocks out over 90% of outside noise.

Hey I use UE10's with custom moulds, they work great for me but budget is a major consideration.
If you need a more reasonably priced monitor, find one that you think sounds good in your budget, and just get it put in a custom mould.

Remold service with Alien Ears (www.AlienEars.com).... they took my i.e. 40's and turned them into custom molds. Cracked them apart and remolded them into custom shells.
I use them as a backup for my new triple drivers.

Hey I use UE10's with custom moulds, they work great for me but budget is a major consideration.
If you need a more reasonably priced monitor, find one that you think sounds good in your budget, and just get it put in a custom mould.

This guy is not very good at hiding that he is from this company trying to push single drivers on drummers.....pleeeze.

And his "only" endorsee is buddy richs grandson!!!! lol
Nick.....Who?

I like most musicians started out using ear buds from several different company's, but had the same problems everybody has. Not to mention they're not cheap. I recently started using the new drmearz drm-1 custom fitted in ear monitors for drummers. The isolation @ 26 db allows me to hear myself clearly while keeping out all the loud stage volume. Because they are custom fit for my ears only, they never fall out no matter how much head banging I do. I put my whole drum mix + my vocals + sequence & click. Depending on the size of the stage I will also mix in some bass & guitar. They are & actually designed by a real drummer for us drummers. I was skeptical @ first because the price is so inexpensive compared to most custom iem company's, but I noticed they sponsor "Nick Rich" (Buddy Rich's Grandson) & that gave them enough street credit for me to try them. Its worth atleast checking them out. I hope this helps with your decision.......

Well I did it, I bit the bullet for all of you out there. I did it mostly because I'm tired of the shills on this forum trying to say that drummers don't use single driver monitors. I also did it because the price was so friggin reasonable. I bought a pair of drm earz drm-1 custom fitted iem's. So here's my review: First off, I emailed them to ask a few general questions. Got a detailed email back from mitch marcum, the designer, within 1 hour. That was unexpected considering I waited a week to get a response back when I bought my westones. Don't get me wrong my westones kik butt, but don't sound any better than these & were alot more expensive. So the customer service gets an a+. Next, I ordered the monitors. I went with a clear red for my right ear & clear blue for my left. it's not on the drmearz website, but they make them in any color now at no extra cost. Within 30 mins I received an order form from them. I already had my ear impressions so I mailed them to the lab as soon as i got the form. I was surprised to get a follow up email a week later to update me on the progress of my monitors. Again, I have to say the customer service was excellent & to me thats almost the most important thing since you just don't find that anymore. I was told in the beginning it would take up to 15 business days for completion once they received my impressions, but actually got them back in 12. I will admit out of the box single driver iems don't give you the big kick drum sound, but with a little eq help these put out plenty of lows to give you a huge bottom. The sound quality is excellent just like my dual driver westones. I'm not sure they actually go down to 30hz like it says on the site, because my ears aren't even capable of hearing those frequencies, but the kick drum is nice & full. I did notice one big difference from my duals. These single driver monitors have a much more true sound. I imagine thats because of the crossover free technology. Sometimes less is more. Look around, but I don't think you will find a less expensive professional grade custom fitted iem with detachable cables anywhere. I hope this puts to rest the idea that drummers don't use single driver iems. Most drummers prefer that flat true sound you can only get with singles. Lastly, the fit was perfect just like my westones. Oh yeah, you don't have to take my word, just check them out for yourself at drmearz.com. All in all they did an excellent job & I'm happy to leave a review for them. .... Murdock the Drummer

I use Etymotics 6i (http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx) with the FOAM eartips. Great price (~$60), isolate very well (much better than the vic firths phones I replaced), and they don't fall out of my ears like all other earbuds. They come with 3-4 different type/size ear tips so you should be able to find something that fits YOU well. Plus you can order different size eartips from their website; like they come with one set of foam tips (medium), but if you look on the website they have 3 different sized foam tips available.

I went the expensive route, I bought (and it was the best investment I have made since buying my drums) Ultimate Ears in-ear monitors. however, there are cheaper alternatives. those http://drmearz.com/custom-fitted-in-ear-monitors-products-order-online.php look AWESOME too!!!

you can go old school, and use over-ear headphones and a headband like Stewart Copeland and Rick Allen did in the 80's lol!

as far as keeping ear buds in your ear, I have no idea on how to do that other than some kind of headband or something that goes over your ears. hmmmm

LoL, Chad Szeliga still uses these

Im using JH Audio JH-16s....absolutely perfect!

F

Back