Your legacy

He's my living CD!

Beautiful story, beautifully put, Andy.

To pass on the joy of playing or the joy of listening to music, to children, to strangers, is a credo I'd like to live by.

My home has always had music on almost all the time. All over my house. Looking back, I now see that over the years it seems to have seeped into many people- friends, aqaintances, family etc... that have come by my home and have been turned on by or discovered something they heard.

That my 2 boys are musicians, and that too, sort of by accident since I never actively encouraged them to play, says that I did something meaningful and lasting with my love for music. I did good.

As we all see in parts of our lives, there is so much jadedness and disappointment surrounding the world of music as well, what with so many more shattered dreams and unfulfilled promises, that often, its just great to tell someone " Hey! Listen to this" and to see the smile unfold as the music seeps in, makes it so totally a legacy, I'd like to have.

Beautiful story, beautifully put, Andy.

To pass on the joy of playing or the joy of listening to music, to children, to strangers, is a credo I'd like to live by.

My home has always had music on almost all the time. All over my house. Looking back, I now see that over the years it seems to have seeped into many people- friends, aqaintances, family etc... that have come by my home and have been turned on by or discovered something they heard.

That my 2 boys are musicians, and that too, sort of by accident since I never actively encouraged them to play, says that I did something meaningful and lasting with my love for music. I did good.

As we all see in parts of our lives, there is so much jadedness and disappointment surrounding the world of music as well, what with so many more shattered dreams and unfulfilled promises, that often, its just great to tell someone " Hey! Listen to this" and to see the smile unfold as the music seeps in, makes it so totally a legacy, I'd like to have.

I like to think the same of my teaching. You never know the positive affect that you can have on somebody, with my teaching, I hope to have a positive affect and minor ripple in the world at large.

You may never know the affect that you are having. After I graduated university this woman came up to me one day yelling, "Ken, Ken how are you doing. You are the most important person in my life." I barely remembered her and thought that a paternity test may soon be in order. Turned out, I had introduced her to her now husband. I barely remembered her and her husband was a guy I had just met. But I took to the time to introduce them and became matchmaker.

The threads often have an affect on one and the other day after reading Lutz's thread, I was really depressed. He told a story of disappointment that we all could relate to and we've all been there. this thread had me thinking about my grandfather. When I was nine i got a tape recorder for my birthday and a few black cassettes. My grandfather recorded a couple of tunes on them. I would play them at family gatherings and he would laugh until he cried. But for me, they were the best thing in the world. After he passed, I went to find the recordings and found I had rerecorded over them. I wish I still had them as a remembrance. One of the tunes was I'm forever Blowing Bubbles which was big back in 1919. I was listening to it yesterday and someone on youtube shared a similar story about her grandmother.

I often wondered about the future of the internet and what it would be like to have all this recorded material from a bygone time two three hundred or a thousand years hence. Well whose really going to go through it all. Sooner or later a lot of it will be lost. You just cannot preserve every moment of history, although we are doing a good job. I was at a concert the other day and you see everyone one their Iphones. I went home and I looked at FB and my two idiot friends were texting back and forth, are you here, where are you and of course they were both sitting next to me. I joined in by writing were you guys at that show, where were you guys.

My friend's son was saying on FB that he was in a restaurant and a family of five were all sitting there engrossed in their electronics. I had to remind him that he was bugging his dad about a tv hook-up while he was at that concert.it's funny how people want to be at the concert but they really don't enjoy the music. We lose the moment in today's society.

As far as youtube, I really doubt that most of what goes on there will be around in 100 years and if it is, it won't be that great show you and your band had. It will be the recording of the belly flop you fat ass took as your grandson got every moment on his iphone. Now that's something for posterity.

I know what you mean, Larry. I like to have tangible output for my efforts. It feels more solid and real to me ... all my interests before, during and since my music making have had solid outputs - origami, jewellery making, writing, art, cartooning ...

I have a website which is a repository for my creative output - the good, the bad and the ugly. Family and friends can check it out when I fall off the perch, although I doubt they'd bother.

I think releasing a CD is best for this kind of thing. Sure, they degrade. Everything degrades. The earth will one day be swallowed up by the sun and it seems that humans are breeding at such a rate we won't last anywhere near that long anyway. We are microscopic specks living on a microscopic speck of a planet in a vast universe. And we will all die - every one of us. We do not matter. None of it matters. There is no hope. No future. No salvation. There is only death and nothingness ...

Oops, sorry ... got a bit carried away there :)

Maybe what people want is some peace of mind...nothing is eternal...

You only missed attaching this to your overall summary Polly :}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk

strangely, this makes me feel better about being the result of some fart in the universe.

...and remember...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHnnGHgeyC0&feature=related

...that different people take (way) different perspectives.

Back