Spastic vs looking "in control"/Hearing with your eyes

Oh I definitely believe there is a universal well of music Jason, and a universal well of rhythms that are infinite. The bigger a conduit a musician can be....well, that's the goal. Hiromi taps it, she's got a straight pipeline to that higher mental plane. It's completely obvious the music is flowing through her, you can plainly see she is having a joyous experience.

I love it. And I'm actually going to see Hiromi in April. Simon Phillips on drums.

Oh and the size of the ship/motion of the ocean thing...only spoken by guys with modest tallywackers lol

*runs for cover*

Ah, isn't this what it always comes down to? A good old-fashioned prick waving contest. Well, I'll have you know good sir that it all tends to even out once vasocongestion takes place.
; -)

Last edited:
I love it. And I'm actually going to see Hiromi in April. Simon Phillips on drums.

Ah, isn't this what it always comes down to? A good old-fashioned prick waving contest. Well, I'll have you know good sir that it all tends to even out once vasocongestion takes place.
; -)

Envious! Where are you seeing Hiromi?

Yea, vasocongestion, damn straight. I can't believe you said that. I was just gonna mention that :\

Envious! Where are you seeing Hiromi?

S.P.A.C.E. in Evanston, IL (just north of Chicago). Small, intimate, best listening room I've ever been in. I usually sit right next to the stage--almost feels like you're on the gig with them. Seeing Brian Blade there next week. I would live there if I could. ;-)

INTERESTING! Are you really suggesting that the notion that each halve operates fundamentally differently is bogus! Rebel! :)

Einstein supposedly had a huge corpus callosum. That sounds overtly sexual lol. Drumming, 4 way independence specifically, is a great corpus callosum exerciser.

I don't like to see the tense drummers, but I can't not watch lol. I just shake my head at the thought that I looked just like that for way too many years ugh lol. What I really like seeing is honest musicians, who care about the things I care about lol. Like playing your instrument well. Or trying to tap into the universal well of music instead of trying to look cool. Honest.

So Jason you close your eyes and you get more enjoyment. I can totally see that. My point exactly, people hear with their eyes. I'm not sure if that's a good thing though.

Larry, you might like the McGurk Effect, which probably is influencing Spleen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0

I find it uncomfortable to watch live videos where the sound and visuals are out of sync. It affects how I hear the music because the distration of the conflicting info prevents me from getting lost in the music.

I look ungainly in some video footage but I figure it's like in sports where some players have funny homespun styles. Like me, they must have done some muddling through during their formative years.

A few weeks ago I was playing "I Saw Her Standing There", Beatles cover tune.
I tried to bob my head while playing, just like Ringo did. I got very dizzy (miss lizzy). I almost lost the tempo.
I don't understand how he did that head bob thing while he was playing............... ?

My point entirely. He didnt do it for effect he was being carried on the emotion and excitement of the song. His personality coming through.

Probably something in the middle.

Watching Keith Moon is more entertaining than impressive as it's not massively technical (which isn’t a knock as I love Moon) but watching someone like Peart who is amazing technically but hardly shows any emotion (straight faced...etc) gives me a different positive feeling.

I like to watch drummers look like they are having fun/enjoying themselves but I don’t think that I have a preference really.

At the other end of the spectrum, I hate it when the drummer looks bored, plays boring stuff, never smiles and never looks at the audience or the other players. Makes me winder why they bothered turning up... Might as well use a drum machine.

Dang Spleeeeen "Larry, you might like the McGurk Effect, which probably is influencing Spleen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0"
My hearing loss is most significant in the speaking range so I hear a voice but can't tell what they are saying-so I often read lips-didn't even know I was doing it till my ENT doc demonstrated it to me. Now I have hearing aids which really help but I still read lips apparently too, because this probably explains why I often "hear" people say things they didn't say. Between what I do hear and my reading lips I often think people say the strangest things or they are cursing-you wouldn't believe how many times I've embarrassed myself or get a huge laugh from my mistake.

Larry, you might like the McGurk Effect, which probably is influencing Spleen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0

I find it uncomfortable to watch live videos where the sound and visuals are out of sync. It affects how I hear the music because the distration of the conflicting info prevents me from getting lost in the music.

I look ungainly in some video footage but I figure it's like in sports where some players have funny homespun styles. Like me, they must have done some muddling through during their formative years.

See this is why I love you so much Anon. Very cool. Something I was not aware of. Eyes trump ears apparently.

I love watching a drummer have fun but be in control physically. That lean back appearance with a face that smelled a rancid fart. Just grooving and locking in with the band. Just wish I can look like that :( I tend to swing my neck around when I hit toms or accent with a crash.

See this is why I love you so much Anon. Very cool. Something I was not aware of. Eyes trump ears apparently.

That makes for a nice change :) Most just want me for my boobs.

Yes, there's some weird effects between ears and eyes. I am sure that back in the days of LPs the cover art affected the atmosphere with which I listened to the music. I seemed to like albums with dark covers more than light ones lol

It's a big reason why I used to like to close my eyes when listening and playing. These days I'm really sucked in by multimedia. When I have the choice of surfing live clips on YT or checking out Soundcloud recordings I always go for the live clips. Listening with my eyes.

I have a goofy drum style. I imagine it would turn some people off, maybe amuse some others. I'd love to be as loosey goosey when I play as Steve Gadd. He's so relaxed when he plays that he looks like jello in a sack wobbling around rhythmically. I aspire to be rhythmic jello in a bag one day ... (hopefully before becoming jello in a box!).

Back