For dad

Tape a photograph on there or stick it between a lug. Sorry for your loss.

- Reggae Mangle

Will do. I need to contact the guy who sold me the set to see if he got them out for me ;)
If I play my cards right, everything will show up on the same day!

I'm getting antsy and can't wait to unveil them to the family.

Bo, that's cool, being able to go "full-circle", play something that you did in your youth and honor your Dad..................Good Stuff

Bo, that's cool, being able to go "full-circle", play something that you did in your youth and honor your Dad..................Good Stuff

Thanks. I'm kinda bummed because the seller contacted me and said he hopes to get them off to me by tomorrow (he took a trip and was delayed getting home due to bad weather - which I can understand). But I was expecting them tomorrow!

I received the Buddy Rich TDR COB snare last night and it is a thing of beauty! Once I put new heads on it, and give it a good cleaning myself, it will be awesome! The snare wires look good (they're Pearls and not stretched out), but I'll probably replace the string with aircraft cable. Then the drum will be ready to rock! Things are looking up!

I've never heard of using "aircraft cable"...................honestly, I don't even know what it is. Sounds like it would strong.

Back in the 80s, I was turned on to this thin steel cable insulated with a blue coating. I was told they called it aircraft cable (like what you would use to control things on a plane). Since then I think drum companies are now making stuff like this just for snare drum usage. It doesn't stretch and it doesn't break. Although the funny thing is, every time I change out my snares, I change the cable too. Go figure.

Anyway, if you were going to tie a knot with it, you would need pliers as your fingers won't be strong enough to hold it and pull it tight enough. But the butt plate is easy enough, you just clamp it down. I hate using regular snare string to mount the snares, it always breaks when you least expect it!

Back in the 80s, I was turned on to this thin steel cable insulated with a blue coating. I was told they called it aircraft cable (like what you would use to control things on a plane). Since then I think drum companies are now making stuff like this just for snare drum usage. It doesn't stretch and it doesn't break. Although the funny thing is, every time I change out my snares, I change the cable too. Go figure.

Anyway, if you were going to tie a knot with it, you would need pliers as your fingers won't be strong enough to hold it and pull it tight enough. But the butt plate is easy enough, you just clamp it down. I hate using regular snare string to mount the snares, it always breaks when you least expect it!

Interesting..........where do you get it from?

Interesting..........where do you get it from?

Trick percussion now sells the cable. For $8 you get four of them. Definitely a rip off as I think I was getting it for $1 each at Pro Drum, but that was a long time ago. But it's the stuff I I use and it never breaks or stretches.

Losing your parents sucks. My Dad passed away 18 years ago and I still miss him. Love the story. I have an old lazy boy my that was my Dads. I had it re-covered and will keep it forever. I like to sit in it when I miss him.

As for music and he and I, he used to march around the house with me to John Philip Sousa albums. I had pan lids playing cymbals and he imitated a trumpet. To this day if I hear a march I think of him fondly.

Thanks for taking me down this road today and enjoy your slingerlands!

Update: the drums were shipped. I should see them Thursday afternoon. It already feels likes its been too long ;)

I received some new logo stickers, so I spent some time replacing the Ludwig one on the zep kit because I thought the first one was just too big and gaudy. It now has a small one about 6" long and 1.5" tall. Looks good. I got a smooth white PowerStroke 3 for the incoming Slingerlands and put the logo on that head too. It's now waiting for the drum to put it on.

I also received all the Slingerland hoops today to replace the standard hoops the previous owner put on the kit. You can't have a Slingerland kit without those unitque hoops. So my parts are all waiting for the drums to show up!

It's been almost a year now since I lost my dad. In my man cave, I hung up a picture of me playing the crappy old first drum kit my parents helped my buy some 35 years ago. It's always good to keep remembering.

It's been almost a year now since I lost my dad. In my man cave, I hung up a picture of me playing the crappy old first drum kit my parents helped my buy some 35 years ago. It's always good to keep remembering.

You know, I have to find them, but I think there was only TWO pictures made with that first (actually, second) Slingerland kit. I'll post 'em up for comparison. But it's hard to believe I played them from 1978 to 1984 and there weren't more pictures of them. So at least you have the picture you have! I had started gigging when I was 15 dragging those Slingerlands around and I can't believe there aren't more pictures.

Seems like many people had Slingerlands as a first kit. My dad bought mine for me around 1970. It was a 1957 set (stamped inside the shell). I cannibalized it over the 5-6 years I played them. I think of my dad everyday, as I'm sure anyone who's lost a parent does. Good for you Bo! I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Attachments

• 1972 Era (2)_2.JPG
    1972 Era (2)_2.JPG
    331 KB · Views: 90
Back