This a good deal/kit?

I would go for the 7 piece just for the tom options.

I would try 500 and see if you can meet in the middle.

Personally I love the Renowns. I don't think either one is a steal by any means. However, it looks like they are willing to negotiate the price so either one is a great kit.

IMO the Renowns are a great (better) deal with the SKB cases. Don't be shy of a 20 inch kick, they have great definition and punch.

IMO the Renowns are a great (better) deal with the SKB cases. .

Totally.

Personally, I'd lament no 16" floor tom. But including cases, it's a better deal than the Cats .....Renowns are just way more "Gretsch" and cases don't come much better than SKB. $700 is way too much for a used Cat shell pack though.

But the sizes really should be a consideration for you too. Do you prefer a 22" bass drum and the added rumble of a 16" floor tom? Or will the 20" kick and 14" floor be enough for your needs? Worth thinking about.

By way of comparison, check this out:
Well, you can ask for "the sky" .... doesn't mean you're gonna get it.​
I think the Renown kit, is the better choice. If I was gonna pick Catalina or Renown, I'd go Renown. If the sizes didn't work, I'd wait for Renown sizes that would work. Catalina's are what, $800 new. And Renown's, $1400.​

I emailed the guy!!!!

""Drums are actually 1000 and cymbals 2500. They are all Top of the line cymbals and in very good condition.""

They are all Top of the line cymbals and in very good condition.""
And they're still "used". He's asking full retail, plus. That birch Catalina, new, goes for $838.96 (with free shipping). Hope he likes his kit, 'cause he's gonna have it for quite a while.​

Back