Evans Onyx...anyone tried them?

I just got a set for my Starclassic Performers. I went all in and bought the bass batter and reso along with batters for my 12"x10" & 14"x14" toms. I'm using clear G1s on the bottom of my toms. I tune my batters as low as I can get them with the resos slightly higher.

To be brief, they sound exactly how they are marketed. I usually use coated G2s; these are just a bit darker and punchier. I loooove 'em, but if you're into a brighter full spectrum sound stay away! They have a really crisp attack and growly but smooth decay, and want to be tuned very low. They don't decay as smoothly as the EC2s, but I think they'll be much more durable (clear heads just don't hold up long enough for me). I like the punch of smaller toms tuned really low, and these absolutely deliver.

On the kick drum, just go buy a set. The coating gives the kick a nice thwack, and the resonance is nice, clean, and huge. If the EMAD retainer ring doesn't disintegrate (it looks like they've put a layer of foam under the ring to prevent this) this will be the best kick head I've ever tried.

Again, I prefer a very low, punchy sound. If that's what you're after, I think you'll love 'em.

Also: they look absolutely kick-ass with my black rims.

By the way, I've tried basically every batter Evans makes, and most of Remo's as well. For my money, I think these are an awesome balance of sound, durability, and aesthetics.

Hi, short-time reader, first-time poster. Anyway, I have the onyx EMAD head and I love it. I followed Bob Gatzens tuning tutorial on youtube and my bass sounds beautiful. I'm glad to hear that the toms sound like hydraulics, because that's what I have now, and I was thinking about using hydraulics on the top and bottom (is that a good idea?) and if I did that, I would definatly want the onyx ones on top because they look awesome.

I may try the g-plus clear one of these days.

So far any drumhead I put on my Trick kit sounds good in it's own way. I am after the round and slightly dark sound like Mike Portnoy's kit.

I currently have resonant glass on bottom and pinstripes on top. (Emad on the kick and reverse pc on snare over hazy 300)

bear in mind my kit is tonally neutral, it has no peaky overtones.

I tried the following with the following results on my kit:
- G plus coated--- too dry and a touch flat on my drums
- G2 coated- sounded pretty good, but I was after a "wetter" tone
- Ec-2 clears: these tended to flatten the tone of the smallest toms and get a touch slappy on the larger toms.
- G2 clears: pretty good with a dab of moongel, but they favored attack, and were a bit brighter than I was after.

It may sound picky, but so far, the pinstripes have not been as flattening as the ec's, and don't have that bright slap of the clear g2/ec2's.

That is why I am guessing the g plus clears might be right on the money as well.

There's a huge difference between G plus and Onyx. They're on opposite sides of the spectrum.

Have you tried EC1? If it feels too thick, why not try the thinner EC resonant as a batter.

Instead of going 2 ply on the top, change the reso to G2, especially on floor toms. Keep the batter reasonably subdued. The more muffled the batter, the more attack you get.

Did G plus work out for you? How's the G+ coating? My guess is that G+ must be close in sound to Fiberskyns.

Last edited:
I use the black onyx over genera res heads on everything on my set and am very pleased with the sound. On my bass I use an emad2. I had no problem tuning them for the sound I like. I get a sharp attack and just the right amount of sustaine for most of the venues I play. I tune the batter and res to the same pitch to get the most sustain without overtones. I am not using mics so this works well. So far this is the best combo I have found for me.

how does the onyx sound on a snare cranked up?
im still indecisive, i will either go power center recerse dot, g2, or onyx on snare, opinions??

Bumpin' this. I'm looking put all Onyx heads on my new kit, right down to the EMAD on the kick. Seems like a good set, but I'm curious what anyone here thinks.

I wouldn't have a clue how the heads sound, but they look pretty damn good. Especially the EMAD head. Looks smexy =D

They look good, and they sound AMAZING. I am in AWE of these things.

@ mike or Rick, I prefer for my sound a low punchy tone that still rings out for a while, mainly because i play in a death metal and a jazz band(weird combo i know) and dont like to have to change tunings and heads at every practice/gig, what would you reccomend for this sound?

Death metal and Jazz? I would get G2s. You really want resonance for Jazz and attack for death metal. Clear G2s are probably in the middle between, like EC2s and Coated G1s or something

Back