Chad Smith

Re: Chad Smith signature steel snare

Anyone have his signature pearl snare? Its steel and pingy and it has a real crisp pop. Just curious as I might invest.

If it were not for Chad Smith I would be a completely different drummer. The number of hours I spent in my bedroom as a teenager jamming along to BloodSugarSexMagic has had a lasting influence on the way I play. He taught me to play with my heart.

Man this guy is up there on my favorite drummers list. He's got some of the best groove I've heard in rock music, it's pretty incredible, and he's stays deep in the pocket in any song I've heard him drum in. But he's actually got some crazy chops when he needs them. Ridiculous drummer. And a hilarious guy to boot.

I have never seen Chad Smith. The other day someone told me that he's more impressive than Billy Cobham.

I really doubt that. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I saw Billy Cobham at London's Ronnie Scott's club 2-3 months ago.
(I timed that flight ok:)

Sitting front of stage about 15 feet from his B/d.
Fantastic playing....it's a v.small club anyway.

Cobham & Smith.
Can't compare. Tea & coffee. Both drinks....very different.

Of course Cobhan is technically better I guess..the music he plays demands it...
Smith does a great job with his type of music.

I swore I wouldn't respond to a "who is best" question....I just wanted to make some of you envious that I saw Billy Cobhan.
Sorry...couldn't resist.
One of those unforgettable gigs.

I think the things Chad has going for him in my book that makes him an incredible drummer are the little nuances he does while playing. Things like tasteful ghost notes on the snare, ghosting on the bass drum, and the stuff he does with his left foot. Always keeping time with that left, even during hat patterns, opening the hats a small bit on the 2 and 4 rather often..

He's just good.

I'm trying as hard as I can to find the video again, but it's hard...
Anyway, he did a solo in front of tons of people where he just played a very simple beat for about 4 minutes.. Then stopped. He then talked about groove and being "in the pocket".. great video.
I'll keep looking.

Man.I had the opportunity to see him play at the RHCP gig in Istanbul.I was a big fan,but now a bigger fan.He just plays with feel,i have been practicing his funky drumming and feel for 1.5 years,and i am so glad to see that i can play almost the exact ghost notes,rhythms in the exact speed.I can jam with Flea's solos.I love playing drums.That's all because of Chad Smith.If i could meet him some day,i would tell a huge thanks to him.That's for sure...

Man.I had the opportunity to see him play at the RHCP gig in Istanbul.I was a big fan,but now a bigger fan.He just plays with feel,i have been practicing his funky drumming and feel for 1.5 years,and i am so glad to see that i can play almost the exact ghost notes,rhythms in the exact speed.I can jam with Flea's solos.I love playing drums.That's all because of Chad Smith.If i could meet him some day,i would tell a huge thanks to him.That's for sure...

You've probably seen this, but just in case you haven't :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwt9dvhkglU

I saw Chickenfoot last Monday in Beantown and Chad rocked that kit! He throw out a ton of live energy and kicked some major booty.

True, it wasn't a drum clinic on display, and no drum solo either. But overall I give Chad's output two thumbs up.

He also threw out about 100 drumsticks into the audience. I don't think I'm exaggerating, either. Some songs he was throwing a stick every measure! All without missing the groove.

I just hope I can d/l a boot of that show somewhere!
Chad's in this new documentary film Ferocious Drummers. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ferocious-Drummers-The-Documentary/464315123603334 A bunch of guys are!

I think Chad is amazing, his groove is rock-solid, he has a really deep pocket and the guy plays so musically. He's my biggest inspiration as well. I grew up on RHCP, and I learned to play the drums along to Blood Sugar Sex Magic.

He's is no technical master, but do not underestimate his skills, his single stroke roll is super fast. He's got a wicked right foot technique too.

Next to that, he's such a nice guy. Even with his high profile, he maintains a down-to-earth image and personality ... I've met him on a few occasions, and he will sign every autograph until every fan is satisfied, even if it takes him 2 or more hours.

Chad Smith's hand technique is very natural, flowing and will last him a life time. Watch his fulcrum grip in his "Red Hot Method" VHS/DVD. His thumbs are off the stick, touching first knuckle of middle finger, and the fulcrum is in the middle to ring finger. I assume he plays with the last 2 fingers of the stick gripping the stick as well--very Tony Williams like.

He also uses a very Moeller-like arm whipping technique when playing full-bore. Thats how (along with his very long arms) gets such a loud and great sound behind the kit.

Again, don't under estimate Chad. A great player and ambassador to the drumming community. His performance on Blood Sugar Sex Magik, and "Deep Kick" on One Hot Minute is amazing.

I love him and RHCP in general. He has a sound and style that I've never heard anywhere else. He's great to study both technique and groove wise. Plus he looks like Will Ferrell haha

Well, he's a rock drummer. He's done lots of good things with RHCP, laid down tons of nice grooves, and his foot technique seems pretty cool. Overall, I think of him in the same light as Peart, Barker, Keith Moon (go ahead and hate me for that one) and others, who fit well in the context of the mega-popular bands they're in. Like them, he doesn't really blow me away as much as guys like Weckl, Vinnie, Gadd, and of course tons of jazz drummers and the like. But he's good at what he does. Plus, he seems like a funny guy.

Well, he's a rock drummer. He's done lots of good things with RHCP, laid down tons of nice grooves, and his foot technique seems pretty cool. Overall, I think of him in the same light as Peart, Barker, Keith Moon (go ahead and hate me for that one) and others, who fit well in the context of the mega-popular bands they're in. Like them, he doesn't really blow me away as much as guys like Weckl, Vinnie, Gadd, and of course tons of jazz drummers and the like. But he's good at what he does. Plus, he seems like a funny guy.

He looks like Will Ferrell.

Steve Gadd is one of my all time favorites.

"Fit well in the context" is not doing him justice imho. If you take him out of the RHCP the whole thing collapses. I think he's awesome and inspiring.

Back