Yamaha Recording cutom

chapster

I'm trying to get a price range for this setup. The kit is in great condition, some small scrapes and dints from studio work but nothing major. The kit is white. I have read that white kits are limited edition from 2011 on wikipedia but this kit is 1998 - 2000 range, so not sure what thats about.
Anyone got andy ideas of price range. Im thinking $2,400 for the lot would this be too much or too little.

Yamaha White 5 piece

12” rack tom
13” rack tom
16” floor tom
22” base drum

14x6.5 Pearl CZX Studio model birch snare 112841

Stands
Yamaha snare stand
Yamaha boom stand
Ludwig straight stand
Yamaha stool
Tama hi hat stand
Tama boom stand
Tama extended short boom stand
Yamaha Kick pedal double chain
DW USA kick pedal

Cases
Impact hard stands case with wheels
All drums have soft Beato carrier bags except snare and 13’’ rack tom

Cymbals
Sabian B8 20”” ride
Sabian B8 18” crash
Sabian B8 16” crash
Paish 14” sound edge Hi hats
Z 12” splash

Dude...do you mean Stage Custom?

White was a common color for Recording Customs through much of it's history.

But what makes no sense is why you would be selling low end Sabian B8s with a such a high end kit like a recording custom.

So like drumkat said, are you you don't mean Stage Customs?

drumbeat what do you mean by stage custom?

DrumEatDrum the symbols were purchase separately a few years back.

Here is an image of the kit
drums.jpg

That is a recording custom.

And it's from the mid-80's-early 90's.

But a buyer for that kit isn't going to want the Sabian B8 cymbals, and a kid who thinks Sabian B8's are Ok, isn't going to be able to afford a RC.

So you be better off splitting up the cymbals and drums.

You could ask $2400 US dollars, but until the economy gets better, I doubt you'll get it.
$1800-$1900 is more realistic these days.
And even then, that might be pushing it as the 12-13-16 set up isn't the popular sizes for a RC kit.

Wow Xero Talent I didn't ask for you to insult me with the word retarded. People like you make me sick I have a son with special needs so please don't be so obnoxious.
The question I posted said "Anyone got andy ideas of price range"

Thanks DrumEatDrum for the details you added. I will take your advice and remove the symbols from it and try sell it on its own for $1800-$2000.

Thanks again.

Wow Xero Talent I didn't ask for you to insult me with the word retarded. People like you make me sick I have a son with special needs so please don't be so obnoxious.
The question I posted said "Anyone got andy ideas of price range"

Thanks DrumEatDrum for the details you added. I will take your advice and remove the symbols from it and try sell it on its own for $1800-$2000.

Thanks again.

Sorry mate, I didn't mean to come off like that. It was meant as sarcastic, not insulting. My apologies, I've removed the comment.

Either way, they're not Stage Customs, so you're not retarded ;)

I picked up a 22, 12, 13, 16 Yamaha Recording Custom, for $995. You can always check eBay, to see what these drums are selling for. And, as the case may be, what they're not selling for.​
Buyers for these drums typically already have cymbals and hardware ... so ... I'd sell the drums separate. The cymbals, another lot. And the hardware, another lot. To maximize your sale, selling each item "individually" is the way to go.​

Last edited:
That is a recording custom.

And it's from the mid-80's-early 90's.

But a buyer for that kit isn't going to want the Sabian B8 cymbals, and a kid who thinks Sabian B8's are Ok, isn't going to be able to afford a RC.

So you be better off splitting up the cymbals and drums.

You could ask $2400 US dollars, but until the economy gets better, I doubt you'll get it.
$1800-$1900 is more realistic these days.
And even then, that might be pushing it as the 12-13-16 set up isn't the popular sizes for a RC kit.

I agree, also a lot of the people looking at a kit like this won't want the hardware either.

It's hard to price. I've seen them all over the place. I've even seen Yamaha RCs with 10-12-14-16 Toms and 22 Kick go for $1500 for just shells. I've also seen 12-13-16 RCs go for $700. The other difficulty is I think the white might actually make it a harder sell.

What your finding about the 2011-2012 newer ones is that Yamaha reintroduced recently the Recording Custom limited edition series in 80s colors.

A good way to check prices is check ebay... but don't check what people are asking, check the completed listings for what things have sold for. I know on craigslist here people try to sell things all the time for a ton more than it's worth (e.g. PDP $200 set with cheap cymbals for $1200)

I picked up a 22, 12, 13, 16 Yamaha Recording Custom, for $995. You can always check eBay, to see what these drums are selling for. And, as the case may be, what they're not selling for.​
Buyers for these drums typically already have cymbals and hardware ... so ... I'd sell the drums separate. The cymbals, another lot. And the hardware, another lot. To maximize your sale, selling each item "individually" is the way to go.​

Agreed.

I normally don't do 'research monkey', but in this case I was interested, so I checked Ebay's completed listings.
The highest price paid for a kit that actually sold recently was $1,526 for a 6 piece shell pack in very good shape.

There's a 4 piece shell pack available locally from a store that's been sitting for a couple months that's just had its priced reduced to around $1K, but it doesn't look to be as in such good shape as the OP's.

Not meaning to discourage the OP, you can try to get whatever you want for it. It may take quite a while at that price though. On the other hand, all it takes is one person who's looking for exactly what you've got for sale.
I also think that anyone looking for that type of set probably won't be interested in the cymbals, and probably not most of the extra hardware either.
But - good luck with the sale.

I bought my six piece rc's for $1500, but they're also in a less common color. I don't think would have paid that much for white/black/cherry...then again maybe I would have, they are amazing drums.

If it were me I'd start at $2000 but be willing to take $1300ish for the shells.

I've even seen Yamaha RCs with 10-12-14-16 Toms and 22 Kick go for $1500 for just shells.

yes, I've two of those recently for $1600 in my area.

So I was thinking at most $1300 for the Yamaha drums, $200-ish for the snare, a few hundred for the stands, DW pedal and bags, Maybe $100 for all the cymbals sold as a separate package. = around $1800 total.

But also why I said "And even then, that might be pushing it" because I had a feeling my number still might be high for just a 12-13-16, which apparently it is.

The Pearl CZX snare was pretty expensive in it's time, but also sold poorly and was quickly discontinued.

To get the most money out of it you should probably sell it in the following bundles.... the problem is some things may sit longer.

1) Yamaha Shells
2) Pearl Snare
3) Stands (Probably sell them all separate from each other)
or combine the Yamaha together and sell the rest separately.
4) Cases
Impact hard stands case with wheels
All drums have soft Beato carrier bags except snare and 13’’ rack tom
5) Cymbals (Separate them all or sell the B8s together and separate the other two).

I can say I've also been looking at this as I just now am pondering whether or not to sell my set of RC's I purchased new around 1986 in the Cherry Wood finish. It's 4 toms and a bass drum - I never purchased the RC snare.

What I've seen from my research is only about $1500.00. They are such a beautiful sounding instrument, I'm not sure that sort of cash fairly compensates losing such a set.

I also agree in splitting up the set.

If it were me:

- Sell the cases with the drums (assume the cases are a freebie to sweeten the deal) + perhaps a couple stands.
- Sell snare with case
- Sell cymbals separately or priced as a package including the bag if there is one
- Sell remaining stands

Very nice set of RC's you have. To maybe give you idea of current price range I recently purchased an RC set, cherry wood, 12, 13, 16, 22, with matching 6.5 snare, yess mounts, in perfect shape for $1200 shipped, and I was very happy to pay that, the prices seem really good right now. Without the snare you are likely to get somewhere between $1000-1300 in today's economy. I think the prices were a bit higher just a few years ago as my other, early 80's set, 10,12,14,16,22 went for $1800 shipped.

That being said, I think the prices on the RC's are a bit low lately and I personally think they will continue to steadily rise in price the older they get. RC's have a very respected reputation that they earned for many reasons. These are beautiful, high quality drums that sound great and that's why I got them. Wrapped drums are more durable but I find myself blankly staring at my RC's because the lacquered wood is so pretty. I feel like I am playing on a piece of art work. I am a sucker for beautiful women(my wife) & drums.

It was mentioned that RC's had been re-introduced in 80's colors. Yamaha made only 15 kits in Red, White and Yellow (45 in total) as Limited Edition sets in 2010 and announced them at the 2011 NAMM. I have one one in white. They are currently available in 4 finishes (black, cherrywood, sunburst and blue).

Back