I found a set of Paiste 2002 15" hats at a Pawn Shop!

Dirtysticks

I went into a local pawn shop today, just to pass some time and I started looking around to see what they had. A little over a month ago I got a pristine condition Pearl Masters Studio BRX for $299 so I know they sometimes have some great deals in there. I've been looking for some Paiste hats to use on my set since I am playing mostly Paiste now and I'm missing some power and projection from my current set of hats (late 60's Zildjian New beat top with early 70's New Beat bottom). After looking around I found a set of hats on a cymbal tree. They were Paiste 2002 hats with a Red Label 2002 15" Sound Edge (edit: not Mastersound) top and a Black Label 2002 15" Rock bottom. I had been toying with the idea of using 15" inch hats already, so I was thrilled. I put them on a stand and they sounded superb (great chick, excellent projection, great stick definition, amazing sizzle). They had them priced at $199.00 which I thought was a good price, especially considering the great condition, but I got them down to $150. I put them on layaway so I could sell my current set and avoid the money coming out of my pocket right now. These will go perfectly with the rest of my Paiste cymbals in the stable. Pics to come once I bring them home.

Anyone have experience with these hats, or 15" hats. At first I was reluctant to go a little bigger, but now I think I'm in love.

Last edited:
Yep. I have a set of 15" 2002 Sound Edges. I got them about a year and a half ago and all my other sets of hats have struggled for any time on the kit since. Love 'em.

Fwiw, Paiste refer to their rippled bottom hats at "Sound Edge", whereas Zildjian call them "Mastersounds".......some useless trivia for you.

That is a huge score! I have 14 inch Alpha Metal sound edges and I love them. hhhmmmm wanna trade????

Yep. I have a set of 15" 2002 Sound Edges. I got them about a year and a half ago and all my other sets of hats have struggled for any time on the kit since. Love 'em.

Fwiw, Paiste refer to their rippled bottom hats at "Sound Edge", whereas Zildjian call them "Mastersounds".......some useless trivia for you.

These hats that I found felt and sounded perfect at the first strike. Great response, projection, articulation, and a little added meat due to the extra meat. I don't think I will use any other hats as well, because these seem pretty versatile. I may buy a 13" or 12" set to use as aux hats on my right side eventually, but these have the right sound for my main hats.

That is a huge score! I have 14 inch Alpha Metal sound edges and I love them. hhhmmmm wanna trade????

I looked up some prices for these online while at the pawn shop and the used ones were way more than these and the new ones... well you already know.

... not sure I ready to trade though lol

Great score!! Nice price too.

I got a set of 15" SE hats around the middle of last year, and no other set of hats has really been on my kit since! I can't put them away!

I used my set of 15" AA Sizzle hats for a gig doing my Cheap Trick Tribute, but other than that one time, I haven't used anything but those 15" SE's.

I got the 20-22-24" 2002 CRASHES, and a couple other Paiste's as well, and they haven't left my kit either. I use the 24" CRASH as my ride. A lot of the time I just use 2 cymbals, and the 20" and 24" 2002 Crash are perfect for me.
I have a sweet 24" AVH Big Ride too, and that has seen some use in one band, but mainly it's that 24" crash I use for my ride.
I love that dang thing!!

Enjoy your hats!!

Great score!! Nice price too.

I got a set of 15" SE hats around the middle of last year, and no other set of hats has really been on my kit since! I can't put them away!

I used my set of 15" AA Sizzle hats for a gig doing my Cheap Trick Tribute, but other than that one time, I haven't used anything but those 15" SE's.

I got the 20-22-24" 2002 CRASHES, and a couple other Paiste's as well, and they haven't left my kit either. I use the 24" CRASH as my ride. A lot of the time I just use 2 cymbals, and the 20" and 24" 2002 Crash are perfect for me.
I have a sweet 24" AVH Big Ride too, and that has seen some use in one band, but mainly it's that 24" crash I use for my ride.
I love that dang thing!!

Enjoy your hats!!

Thanks... I can't wait to get them home and on the kit! They sounded so nice! After being a Zildjian guy for many many years, I'm now mainly a Paiste guy and I'm loving that Paiste sound!

Thanks... I can't wait to get them home and on the kit! They sounded so nice! After being a Zildjian guy for many many years, I'm now mainly a Paiste guy and I'm loving that Paiste sound!

I used Zildjian and Sabian for eons too. Was really happy with them too. Yet, once the Paiste bug set in (because of that ride sound and crashability I had to have), it was all over for me.

Have fun, hope your wallet survives the "sicknes" :)

Back