Stick Preferences and why

Formless Method

I like my stick to be fatter so I don't have to tighten my grip to much to hold it. If I use a stick with slightly less girth than my hand makes when it is relaxed I barely have to use any muscle to grip it which makes everything looser and feel better. I guess it's why I like fat pens to write with. Using all those tiny muscles to write and grip a skinny pen or pencil hurts after a while.

I like my stick to have a long taper so when the stick strikes an object the stick gives slightly (maybe a millimeter or so) which takes any extra vibration out of it and also makes the stick bounce back off of the drum very fast because in theory it should give a little then straighten back out throwing itself back off the drum. Feels very nice and aids a drummer who uses rebound. Short tapered sticks are so rigid feeling that when I use them I feel like my hand is being electrocuted. Long tapered feels like a nice ride in a cadiliac.

Nylon tips for their response and sound on cymbals (don't have to work as hard to get the ride sounds out of cymbals).

I like them to be around 16 inches or shorter. Very long sticks feel unbalanced and awkward.

My stick at this moment which fits what I explained is Regal Tip 5A. They are similar to Joe Morrelos Pro Mark sig sticks which is what I played before I moved to Regal

Anybody else a stick nut like me?

Last edited:
Re: Your stick preferences and why.

I've never analysed my stick choice so much. It'd be nice to have enough cash to try everything to find out what I like. I think I like a long 5A, as far as I know. Maybe I would like something better for some unknown reason. Am I looking for something? Hard to say... Maybe there is something unknown to me that I haven't even considered yet.

I am kinda going back and forth on the ProMark 747 hickory and the VF 5AN extreme. I like that extra length. I even hold the sticks at the very ends sometimes, all loosey-goosey at times. I like nylon tips for the same reason as you. They are a little different on these two stick styles. The VF has a shorter taper and a smaller tip, and the PM has a long taper and a bigger tip. It's hard to say which sticks suit me better.

Forgot to mention that on the practice pad I just use the standard Vic Firth 5A wood tip sticks. They feel just fine in my hand. I guess I've been playing 5A diameter for so long that anything else just feels weird. I played 5B for awhile, but I switched to 5A about 20 years ago when I started playing faster. There are a few reasons: 1. they're always available no matter where you go 2. I don't break cymbals anymore 3. the sticks are heavy enough to play anything I've ever needed to play - fast, slow, heavy, light 4. I don't ever get blisters anymore even using just bare sticks with no grip stuff 5. The stores sell these VF sticks in the $5 bargain bucket with the store name branded onto them. The ones I have are branded with Professional Drum Shop on them, but I saw the exact same sticks in Sam Ash too that obviously say Sam Ash on it. I'm sure quite a few stores buy these 5A sticks from Vic Firth and have their company name put on them.

Last edited:

Vic Firth 8D.
In the past I always used 5Bs but I found that as I relaxed more, and used less arm movement, the 5Bs felt dead and rigid.

To me the 8Ds feel light and almost whippy. I feel the heads and cymbals more, and my wrists don't get tired after a long session. An added bonus is they are slightly quieter, as I am a hard hitter so in this volume sensitive era I can still play hard.

I don't really have a single specific preference. I have a whole bunch of different sticks that I use depending on the volume required and I often change between songs. If I'm playing a heavier number I tend to use a 5b, but my only problem with 5b sticks is the weight they can throw into your cymbals if your not careful, plus they present a challenge with regards to dynamics. I really do like the vic firth extreme 5a as they do not present the same problems of a 5b, but have more meat to them than the 5a, so they're great live.

Having said all that I don't think that as an all-round stick there is one better than the vic firth 5a, which I always seem to go back to.

Vic Firth Maple SD2. It's fatter than a 2B; nice thick shoulder and short taper, but as light as a 5A. Great for my big hands. Nice balance too, I use it for pad work. It's my only stick, really. It has a nice small ball tip that plays down into a cone and it sounds sweet on cymbals from the first stroke through the end of its life. I've only broken it a few times, but it doesn't chip apart like hickory. It looks more and more ragged and suddenly breaks in half very cleanly. Usually I play the tips down to a nub before the stick breaks. I love this stick.

/warm and fuzzies

Last edited:

Colaiuta signature sticks.

When I first started drumming I got some signature sticks from my favourite drummers as well as an assorted hickory and maple selection froom several brands. Some frinds also gave me some of their slightly used sticks to try. The Vinnie sticks are what I ended up with, though I have a few other lighter sticks in my bag as well.

It's very close to an American Classic 5B, but I just like it better.

Vater Punisher Nylon Tip.

Hard player, like me some fat sticks, these are right between 5B and 2B. 2Bs slow me down just ever so slightly, but 5Bs could use some more power.

Nylon ball tip is nice and bright on my ride cymbals

I'm pretty comfy with a few stick models. Vater's 5B sticks. I also dig Zildjian's 5B sticks, and Brooks Wackerman signature models. I liked the Matt Sorum signatures also. But I think Vater's 5B are my favorite models.

I like a lot of sticks in and around the size of 5As, but nothing heavier than a 5B. The sticks have to feel great in my hands and sound particularly good on my ride cymbals, most of the barrel tip sticks fit this criteria. Some of my favorites are the Steve Gadd and Evolution and I just got a bunch of ProMark 727 wooden tip sticks to also try out. For the past several years I'm exclusively into wooden tips, but still have my nylon tip sticks in bags of their own just in case I find myself in the land of the lost, lol.

I also play 7As pretty regularly depending on the style of music.

Dennis

I have played every major brand of stick over the years.
I like Vic Firth AH5A wood tip maple, AS5A wood tip hickory. (round tips)
Maple for jazz and light Rock. Hickory for harder music.
Vick's sticks are well made, matched and balanced.
The wood tips last a long time, even the maple.

I also like Vater Manhattan 7A nylon tips. They are thin and heavy.

I love playing with SD1's. Gives the snare a fat chunky sound, and also lets me be lazy and pull double stroke rolls easily. Also sounds good on the bell.

The Vater (or Promark?) Fatbacks are sweet too. I used them more before my current hard-hitting loud band.

Vick Firth 5bn. 5b because it fits me perfect, any thinner I seem to drop them any thicker and they feel too big, nylon because they are more durable, they are crisper on the hats and rides plus there is greater definition in sound when alternating between shoulder and tip. Vic's because they last me longer than any other brand I have tried.

Vick Firth 5bn. 5b because it fits me perfect, any thinner I seem to drop them any thicker and they feel too big, nylon because they are more durable, they are crisper on the hats and rides plus there is greater definition in sound when alternating between shoulder and tip. Vic's because they last me longer than any other brand I have tried.

Very true about the nylon tips. The nylon really makes my cymbals sing with a lot less effort plus it never chips. I use to play wood tips but when I started playing a lot of low key dynamic stuff at weddings, private parties etc the nylon let me drop the volume real low while still making the cymbals sing just as good.

I use 5a sticks. Right now it is Vic firth. I like vater fusions sticks though.

Also i have never understood why drummers switch sticks all through gigs. I am not knocking that if you do that but to me sticking with one stick allows your body and mind to fine tune itself and make the little adjustments subconciously while playing if you stick to one stick long enough. Granted that it is the right stick for you. I am open to having my mind changed. At one point I played with a hard rock band and went to marching sticks. Destroyed my cymbals and heads etc. I was younger and dumber :)

Another thing is my sticks are super slim near the tips because they are long tapered. I have been playing with the same sticks for 4 months and they are fine. I play soft and hard when the music calls for it. here is an example,itsnot long http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BqIUqRCdfQ never had one break on me. Maybe its the way I play who knows

Last edited:

I prefer a stick in between a 5A and a 5B. With Vater that includes the Fusion and H220 models (and others). With Vic Firth that includes the 55A, which seems to be the easiest one for me to find in local stores. I also prefer a short taper, 16 inch length, and hickory. I do not know why, except that those are the sticks that feel the best in my hands. Peace and goodwill.

Last edited:

Also i have never understood why drummers switch sticks all through gigs. I am not knocking that if you do that but to me sticking with one stick allows your body and mind to fine tune itself and make the little adjustments subconciously while playing if you stick to one stick long enough.

I tend to stick with one type of stick for a gig (apart from brushes and mallets) but I can understand players using a different feel and sound for different songs, though if everything's going through a PA I can't imagine any difference being noticeable to anyone but the drummer and bass.

played many sticks over the years .......many

this is the best stick I have ever picked up and I will use them for as long as they are in production

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM6xhnCitqw

I have the Erskine Zildjian sticks with the tiny round bead (as opposed to the Ride Stick's larger acorn bead) and I don't find them comfortable or nice on the rebound. Have you tried both, Ant? Comparison?

I like very light sticks and recently fell in love with the Firth American Jazz AJ2 sticks, which is heavier than anything I've used for years but is so well balanced that playing quietly is easy. They are as thick as a 5A in the hands which is very comfortable, but the pronounced taper and small bead makes them far lighter and more articulate than 5As.

For an extra light stick I very much like the Zildjian Billy Stewart sticks.

None of these would survive a rock gig with everything cranked to 11.

Back