MOVING (HELP!) Shipping drums cymbals hardware

StupidRockDrummer

Hey guys, great forum. I've known about this site for years, but only just ran into the forum section after a google search lead me to a thread on cymbal pads/sleeves/spacers. I've done a little searching around so I know this topic has been addressed, but perhaps it can be renewed and adapted for my specific situation. I'm confident I've found the best place to ask for guidance, and I look forward to when I can discuss funner topics with you guys. Your time and assistance is greatly appreciated.

OK, here we go.
I'm moving from New Jersey to Seattle ASAP (2 weeks? 10 days?). Please help me with the safest and most affordable way to get my drums, cymbals, and hardware over there too. At the moment I'm thinking of checking my cymbals (I'm going to get a hard case and either buy or make spacers). I know for one thing there are newish restrictions with luggage and stuff on airlines and I'm not certain what they are for each, but hopefully this should be underweight and cheaper than shipping.

Drums (and hardware) are going to have to be shipped. So, we're talking a Pearl SRX: 22 bass, 14x5 snare, 13x11 rack, 16x18, and 18x18 floor toms, (if I recall correctly). Standard sizes (although 2 floor toms & rack has bulky mounting that I may have to remove). The bass also has wood hoops although if it's an issue, I suppose I'll swap them with my old bass drum. Do, let me know...
So, in box #1: Snare inside 18x18 inside Bass. Two remaining toms go in box #2
(Won't this damage heads? or do I pack the drums so tight inside each other that they don't budge? and I'm assuming you just ship the bottom heads in a 3rd box.)

Here's where I need perhaps the most help....................
I don't have any boxes (guitar center is an hour away), or packing material at all. What is best, most affordable etc. Again, I know I need to protect the shells, but how tight should I pack inside the drums etc... ? Where to get the best boxes. How sturdy do they need/What's overboard?

Thanks for all your help guys. PLEASE BE AS SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE. Every little tip/suggestion helps. I'm happy to clarify anything on my end, just ask. Sincerest thanks for your time. - Andrew

if you want to pack drums inside each other you want to be careful. i rember a member on this forum bought a new sonor s classix and the person packed the drums in each toher but didnt put any bubble wrap or anything with them and they got damaged. if your gonna pack them with eachother putting bubble wrap around each would would be a good idea.

before i came over here i had to move my drums from upstate new york to southern illinois for my cousin to hang onto for me. its a 1000 mile trip, about 15 to 18 hours one way. i threw my drums into the back of my 4dr. honda accord inside each other wra in sheets, then wrapped everything else in a few blankets. i had absolutely no issues with them breaking or being damaged in any way whatsoever. now, traveling that way there could have obviously been serious issues, say like if i were to have gotten into a crash, ugh! don't even want to think about what would have happened to my drums, much less me. but yeah, thats how i did it with no issues.

Alright, so 1 vote for bubble wrap and 1 vote for blankets and sheets. Blankets and sheets sound ideal for traveling by car, but might add a bunch of weight to shipping. And I would probably want to pack the drums tight because they could be thrown around. But then again, I could "use" the packing material once it arrived. Maybe I can do this with a whole bunch of shirts and safe clothing, although I wasn't planning on taking much to begin with.

Any votes for packing with cardboard? And what kind of boxes would I want to use to begin with? 1 head on all drums? How best to protect exposed bearing edge on the opposite side? Thanks to Khaine88 and SGT for taking their time to help. If anyone else has a suggestion or can elaborate on something, please do. Appreciated!

Any votes for packing with cardboard? And what kind of boxes would I want to use to begin with? 1 head on all drums? How best to protect exposed bearing edge on the opposite side? Thanks to Khaine88 and SGT for taking their time to help. If anyone else has a suggestion or can elaborate on something, please do. Appreciated!

I don't really think cardbord alone will be enough protection. Maybe use some bubble wrap and cardboard for added protection?

do you want to have them sent to seattle by plane or courier/truck?

I wouldnt suggest plane. so i'll assume truck.
Okay what you want to do is contact a courier company or post office and see if you can play your hands on 2 extra large boxes(may have to ask them for 2 boxes 56cm square.

If going to put the drums inside each other, wrap them all in atleast 1 layer of bubble wrap or foam, each. if you want to maximise your space and maximise saftey for the shells, remove all lugs and such, this will allow you to put the 13" inside the 16", then put the 16" inside the 18" and the 18" in the 22" bass. snare will have to go on its own, in another box. If you choose to take the hardware off, you may only need 1 56cm square box, and 1 15" x 6" box(allowing room for padding and such).

See if you can lay your hands on some packing foam and stick it down the sides/corners of the bass drum, to reduce the chance of the bass drum moving around alot.

You must pack the drums tight, so get some blankets or sheets or maybe some jumpers(nothing with zippers on them) and stuff them in the drums and between them, Wrap EVERYTHING up so that they could survive a meteor hitting them (joking ofcouse).

Also, remove all skins, protect the bearing edged with bubble wrap. pack skins up in a seperate box, that Will NOT get crushed or anything, as to keep the skins in perfect conditon(assuming they are in perfect condition).

If you cant lay your hands on enough bubble wrap to cover everything, use it for the bearing edges and where ever else you want, then use scrunched up newspaper to fill in the rest, or what ever else you can find thats soft and wont damage them.

Hope this helped :).
Good luck mate!

Daphfz

Daphfz!!!! Great advice! Thanks! It never even occurred to me to take all the hardware off and just pack the shells! I guess, just because I never have had the need to before. I'm almost nervous about it, but it's simple enough and I have no need to be. Can any serious harm be done putting them back on too tight?

not really, but when you put the hardware back on, make it tight, but dont crush the shells lol :). And you're welcome, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask me. I've done this a few times, when i went 300km away to gig :)

Oh and by the way, put the hardware for each drum in a seperate labelled bag, so you know what hardware is for which drum :). you may want to pack this inside the drum box aswell, perhaps in the middle of the 13" tom if you pack it how i said to.

I used the same material used on election signs. Its very light and very strong and bendable. You can buy sheets of it for cheap, line the boxes/ cases and works like a charm. I bought cheap cardboard cases and lined them with this stuff, used good tape, and they are as tough now as a hard case.

If you go to a place like office depot or staples, I am pretty sure you can get a whole roll of bubble wrap there (and more if you need it). By doing that you will get the most protection for your drums that way.

Also if you put a box of lucky charms inside all of your boxes, you might get the luck of the Irish and your drums will come out as good as when you packaged them inside their boxes (joking).

Also if you put a box of lucky charms inside all of your boxes, you might get the luck of the Irish and your drums will come out as good as when you packaged them inside their boxes (joking).

haha! :p nice.........

I shipped an entire kit to Italy from California, including shells and hardware.

I used several boxes, removed the heads, wrapped every shell in bubble-wrap (wrapping the sides, but not closing off the top or bottom, so I could nest if possible. I used plastic popcorn to pad the bottom of each box and then set the shells inside. I was able to nest some of them, and I filled the spaces inbetween with more plastic popcorn.

Sometimes I would insert flat pieces of cardboard between bubble-wrapped shells and hardware to insure that there would be no damage

Each piece of hardware was folded as small as possible and completely wrapped in bubble wrap. then the pieces were fit inside the boxes with the shells. A final fill of plastic popcorn was put in the box to make sure nothing moved. I had a total of 5 boxes ranging from 10-35 lbs. Cost to Italy by UPS was about $1500.

Good Luck!

If you need boxes you can go to your local U-haul (or similar). They have a couple different sizes. A small can probably work for our hardware, a large will probably work for your bass drum.

Oh and by the way, put the hardware for each drum in a seperate labelled bag, so you know what hardware is for which drum :). you may want to pack this inside the drum box aswell, perhaps in the middle of the 13" tom if you pack it how i said to.
I was thinking this as well. The lugs are the same on all the drums but I'm one of those just in case kind of people.

I used the same material used on election signs. Its very light and very strong and bendable. You can buy sheets of it for cheap, line the boxes/ cases and works like a charm. I bought cheap cardboard cases and lined them with this stuff, used good tape, and they are as tough now as a hard case.
Good idea, I'll see if I can get my hands on some.

With the hardware off, my biggest concern is definitely protecting the bearing edges. So, I'll bubble wrap the poop out of them, especially the bass drum (assuming the other drums are packed tight and don't have the opportunity to move). The lucky charms are going to help I know, especially if I can get a high marshmallow ratio. I think I'll line the ends of the box with towels to help protect the edges. I know I have a slew of old towels that I'll probably cut up and use almost exclusively for packing the shells. In fact, maybe I'll use them to wrap the shells too and just bubble wrap the edges. I'm also considering leaving the hardware on the bass drum (and adding extra protection to the largest tom). Let me know if that might not be wise. Perhaps the weight would be too much on the lugs if rested on its side, (or maybe even the drum itself).

The suggestions keep getting better. Thanks again and feel free to add if you have more.

what kinda lugs are they? if they are full length ones like my BLX, then i would leave em on the bass drum, coz they give alot of protection, but if they are single small ones, i wouldnt leave em on, coz theres a chance they could stab the side of the box n make a hole(im talking ofcourse, in the case that something heavy is put on them when they are on their side).

what kinda lugs are they? if they are full length ones like my BLX, then i would leave em on the bass drum, coz they give alot of protection, but if they are single small ones, i wouldnt leave em on, coz theres a chance they could stab the side of the box n make a hole(im talking ofcourse, in the case that something heavy is put on them when they are on their side).

The lugs on SRX bass drum appear short.

attachment.php

I think this somewhat along the lines is your model.

attachment.php

oh ok i dont see how much protection these short lugs will provide in transit. But if you feel that it will protect your bass drum more, then go right ahead and keep the lugs on the bass:).

Good info here. One thing I'd advise is to not skimp on the boxes. Get some with good burst test and edge crush test specs. Also don't exceed the weight limit printed on the box.

Back