Where's Magenta?

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
I don't mean to be prying or sound stupid, but for some reason Madge came to mind today and I realized I haven't heard from her in a while?

Anyone know what's up?

no idea but i noticed this an hour ago and sent her a message. But 3 days ago she was posting about amedia cymbals so she is still drumming if this helps :)

Hmmm? I must be having a Brain fart. Maybe it's just an aneurysm. I could swear I haven't seen anything from her for more than a month.

Hmmm? I must be having a Brain fart. Maybe it's just an aneurysm. I could swear I haven't seen anything from her for more than a month.

You are indeed correct, not since Dec 22 2014 (view her profile 'stats'). I also noticed her absence. To be honest, I presumed she got offended by one of those threads or exchnaganes that went off the rails about women drumming. Have to admit as soon as any thread goes sexist I stop reading.

Well, I haven't killed anybody else or myself yet, and miraculously nobody has killed me either.

I'm just tired of feeling like a freak because when I see things so differently from every other sane person on the planet, there comes a point where I realise it must be me. This is IRL, not just on the internets.

I had a major blip with my drumming recently, sold one of my kits and gave all my nice gear to Liam. Alex "menopausal old bats are my speciality" Amedia convinced me to get the stuff back and to get on board again, but when I did I found that I simply didn't care.

So I've found a comfy spot at the beige end of the spectrum (thank you, James!) where for once in my life I'm keeping my head down, and I'm hoping that the demons will soon lose interest in me because I'm sick of battling with them, especially when they always win.

Sorry to hear you're suffering Madge.

I'm a bit of a loner myself. There's no hiding from people and there's no hiding what you are, but it's great to find something you're good at and just go for it. Maybe drums aren't your calling, but there's gotta be something you can get hooked on. Drugs? Ha, just joking. Keep searching.

So I've found a comfy spot at the beige end of the spectrum (thank you, James!) where for once in my life I'm keeping my head down, and I'm hoping that the demons will soon lose interest in me because I'm sick of battling with them, especially when they always win.
They win if you let them, or even acknowledge their existence as a cohesive enemy in the first place. You & I need to talk.

In the public arena, perhaps someone who knows a little bit about the subject should remind you just how far your playing progressed in a remarkably short period of time. You might not see it, or necessarily appreciate it, but I do. Contrary to your own belief, you have a talent. Releasing that talent becomes a much bigger journey the older we get & the later we start, but it doesn't diminish it's existence. A lifetime of habit forming & default self doubt are the demons (if you want to call them that). Mountains created by ourselves along with the well intentioned help of others, that somehow seem so much less of a deal when you've crossed over the summit & strolling down the other side.

I'm just tired of feeling like a freak because when I see things so differently from every other sane person on the planet, there comes a point where I realise it must be me. This is IRL, not just on the internets.

In my experience, that's a good thing. I'm convinced that the average person is either nuts or clueless so seeing things differently means you're the sane one.

Madge, I get where you're coming from. I recently left a band I had been in for 10 years and a mate and I started another. It all went very slowly at first. I had been playing the same stuff for years, the muscle memory was good and I thought little about playing and played for the most part on automatic pilot. When I left the band, having been in that groove for so long, it has taken me 4 months to get back to listening and playing consciously again. I was, like you, on the brink of giving up (the stuff we're playing is a deal more challenging than I have been used to) and it began to feel as if I was past it and would never get it. It didn't help that the singer plays a bit too, so there was a level of intimidation as well as me feeling a bit useless. Then we had another rehearsal last night and we all just clicked. It came to me that it has taken that long to feel comfortable in front of a new group of musicians.

I don't know what your musical or personal situation is Madge, but don't give it up on the premise of what might be a passing phase. I'm sure it will all come right in the end...

Don't think your absense has gone unnoticed. We miss you, Madge. Giving up drumming doesn't really compute with me. Although there have been times in my life where it just wasn't possible to play. It's been a joy to see you develop as a player. Hope things get better with yourself.

Well, I haven't killed anybody else or myself yet, and miraculously nobody has killed me either.

I had a major blip with my drumming recently, sold one of my kits and gave all my nice gear to Liam. Alex "menopausal old bats are my speciality" Amedia convinced me to get the stuff back and to get on board again, but when I did I found that I simply didn't care.

I'm with Andy Madge.Don't let the bastards win.I remember my mom,sitting at the kitchen table,in summer,wiping the sweat from her face,and saying to me " f'in menopause sucks.This is when I was in my early twenties,and till that point,all I ever heard her say ,was sh*t on rare occasions.

Stick with it.Yeah I know I'm a guy,and what the F, do guys know about menopause.Having gone throught it with one wife,my mom,and a lady friend......a little.

We kind of like having you around here.You give the place color,humor and perspective..kick those damn demons to the curb where they belong.......you're WAY better than they are.

You've worked at your craft too hard to just chuck it.....just give it some time,and give Andy a call.

This ......will pass.:)

Steve B

Back