The Real Uncle Larry...

ShadoWReX

About a month ago I was referred to a local drummer (thanks Keep It Simple) regarding an exciting new acquisition that the local drummer was getting and that I’m interested in. The name I was given looked familiar, but I couldn’t place it. How did I know this name? Over the past 15 years or so I was doing recording and wondered if he was someone that I recorded. -Nope!!
Larry called me a few days later. We had talked for about 30 minutes when it hit us both.
In 1980-1982 we were both in local bands that were doing a lot of touring on the East Coast Urban Cowboy Circuit. There were maybe 8-10 bands playing the same clubs and on a regular basis I would run into Larry and the other drummers. For the most part, the other drummers were too cool to talk, but not Larry. I recall someone who was very personable, excited about our craft and very willing to share tips, thoughts and insights to drums and drumming. For years I reversed my Zildjian New Beat Hats, putting the heavier one on top for greater stick articulation -an idea I got from Larry.
He impressed me as someone who had no chip or issue, he just wanted to play and share his love with other like-minded drummers. A drummer who’s really into his craft.
In 1982 I changed paths and one of the last times we talked I asked him to try out for the band I was leaving. Because of inner-band politics he didn’t get the gig, the bass players good friend did. Certainly no fault of Larry’s.
Over the years I wondered what happened to that great person that had a deep love for the drums & drumming...
Fast-forward to 2013 & over 30 years later!! I was shocked when I realized that out of the 100’s of NorthEast drummers, it was my old friend Larry that I contacted.
In looking over the numerous posts and replies it’s evident that Larry hasn’t changed, oh maybe a pound or two heavier, maybe some minor changes up top (some extra frost...), but the real Larry was still going strong!!
I know I don’t have to say this, but -I think it’s safe to say- as one of Larry’s oldest or longest known drummers all of us are better off for knowing such a great guy!! But I don’t need to say that, you all know it!!
Thanks Uncle Larry -God Bless You my friend, it’s been way too long since we sat down and shared a beer & drum tips, but I’m looking forward to hooking up in person real soon!!

Awesome post - just what I needed today. Thanks for sharing!

Larry, you da man.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. It's nice to know that our Uncle isn't just a figment of our collective minds.

Holy crap Jonathan, like wow man, OMG...I'm not worthy...you're the guy who is playing with Alan Parsons, clearly you went a lot further than I did. I remember a guy who was so humble, positive, and open minded. Needless to say I'm completely floored and flattered that you would say all those nice things. Right back at ya man, for real. I still have a zillion questions for you. You do music full time? Family? I'd love to hear your accomplishments. You still seem to have all the enthusiasm you always did too. I can't wait to have you over. You will be one of the rare few Americans who will get to try out a Guru Drum set in 2013. When I get it, you're coming over for dinner, bring the fam if you want, and we'll have a blast.
It was funny talking with you for like a half hour before realizing that we knew each other. Mind blown for sure. Thanks Andy, you are truly an amazing man It is ironic that it took Andy to put us back together.

Jonathan saw an ad for Guru in a magazine and I guess contacted Andy, Andy I guess told him to contact me for a demo. You have the magic touch my friend.

So this is pretty cool Jonathan, you joined DrummerWorld! You're gonna love this place. The people are awesome. Great to have you around man.

Uncle Larry...my hero :). Seriously though, an acknowledgment you deserve.

What an amazing story! I always knew you were a lovely man, Uncle Larry.

We're just wild about Larry
And Larry's wild about us
The heavenly heat of his
Beats fill us with ecstasy.

He's sweet just like a sugar daddy
And he's almost like old Gaddy.
And he's just wild about us.

And Larry's wild about us
The heavenly heat of his
Beats fill us with ecstasy.

He's sweet just like a sugar daddy
And he's almost like old Gaddy.
And he's just wild about us.

...um, you spelled "Caddy" wrong.

Yes, we ARE wild about Larry! Great story--thanks for sharing! I certainly hope to meet him in real life someday...

I certainly hope to meet him in real life someday...
and I'm looking forward very much to doing so in October, along with Grea & other members at LDS.

Jonathan, I knew you were a good man the first time we conversed. I'm so pleased that you managed to hook up with Larry. Being in the old fart category, I'm still surprised how chance contacts via the interweb thingy can lead to a re-establishment of old friendships once lost, & new friendships across huge distances. Jonathan, I also notice that we conversed on a thread about big companies vs. small companies back in 2011. How things spin around eh! Alan Parsons gig too - wow - not too shabby :)

Larry is indeed a class act. Not only as a drummer, but especially as the kind of guy you wish was your neighbour.

Larry called me a few days later. We had talked for about 30 minutes when it hit us both.
In 1980-1982 we were both on the East Coast Urban Cowboy Circuit. I’m looking forward to hooking up in person real soon!!

I've seen the film Urban Cowboy. Is it only me that is worried by this?

Are you sure it was just drumming? :-0

What a great story! Love hearing good-themed events like this occurring. I will say I for one am not surprised to hear all the good things about Larry. His enthusiasm and demeanor here reflects what you just stated.

I've seen the film Urban Cowboy. Is it only me that is worried by this?

Are you sure it was just drumming? :-0

We're talking Urban Cowboy not Brokeback Mountain lol

Great story!

I bought my Acro Classic from Larry, and we've had several nice messages back and forth.
Larry is for sure a guy you could sit and yak about drums and gear with for ages, and have a great time.

Thanks for the kind words everybody, Grea, Mary, Madge, Caddy, David, John, Karl, ID, Andy, Ian and especially Jonathan. I'm very very floored by all of this, my year is made. Karl I wear the Motor City Drum Club shirt you sent me a lot, it's badass. As well as the 108's checkered flag or crash shirts. Thank you for them.

Jonathan, (the real subject of this thread)...where can I see you play? I see you've been a member for 2 years now. This is too cool. I want to see you in action. Jonathan is one of the coolest guys you can meet. No ego, just enthusiasm. It's great that Andy put us back in touch with each other. Jonathan you have to tell me where I can catch you if you are still playing live.

See this is just another way Bernhard's baby has enriched my life. His name must be mentioned here. You've done a great thing by providing this great place in cyberspace. Thanks Bernhard, from the bottom of my heart.

Oh and BTW Jonathan, your 100 bucks is in the mail. Great job on the thread, we snowed em all lol. Shhh...

Nice post, and a great story. Happy to read how a common interest has helped you to
re-connect.

...and very envious of Larry as a soon to be Guru owner!

Urban Cowboy = John Travolta?
Midnight Cowboy = ??
Rhinestone Cowboy = Glen Campbell

Uncle Larry in a ten gallon hat? I gotta see that one...

Urban Cowboy = John Travolta?
Midnight Cowboy = ??
Rhinestone Cowboy = Glen Campbell

Uncle Larry in a ten gallon hat? I gotta see that one...

Midnight Cowboy- John Voight/ Dustin Hoffman- just for the sake of completeness!

Great story!

But now when I think of Larry, I'm going to think of this:

220px-Urban_Chipmunk_Cover.jpg

Haha

It's nice to know how some people get it right,and stick with it,instead of trying to be everything to everybody.

Larry,you strike me as the go to guy who's just being himself and not some jerk trying to be the popular guy in the popular crowd.You don't need to be on stage,you just enjoy it like a kid on Christmas morning.

Nice to know you my friend.:)

Steve B

Back