Scary music!

C

Christ-Hammer

Have any of you ever listened to something that just really made you scared about your environment or changed your mental state in a disturbing way? The reason I ask this is because I was thinking back to when I first discovered Behemoth and I was just listening to a track call Inner Sanctum off of The Apostasy and I was really scared, like I was thinking "why am I listening to this". Since then though it grew on me a lot and I came to love it, but I would like to see if others have ever had the same feeling.

Last edited:
Most "scary" music I know is Orchestral stuff, usually only scary in the context of something like a horror film. Mood pieces and the like.

Hey Rabbit can you give me some examples, because I love scary orchestra stuff in horror movies and things, I just don't know of any actual pieces that provide that within an actual song.

"Still"-Esbjorn Svennson Trio
"Climbing up the Walls"-Radiohead
"Adagio Ma Non Troppo"-Charles Mingus
Also, one time I took a nap and woke up with Penderecki playing really loud. That was moderately terrifying. Grogginess just sort of amplifies everything. I was really confused.

I do like the idea of scary music though. I think it's really difficult to make music that's truly scary on its own, so when it happens it's quite an accomplishment.

The title track on frank zappa's album Weasles Ripped My Flesh

I know some of my friends have been a little disturbed when they listened to a couple of tracks on my iPod...

try
Like Tooth Decay
Mismo Canibalismo
Parasitus
Miss Balaton
Szerencsétlen
Winnipeg is A Frozen ****hole

by Venetian Snares

Hmm... maybe not "scary" per se, but it's far from cheery, and I guess it really depends what you normally listen to.... scary music is all about the contrasts, man. If you're into pretty intense and avant garde electronic music, then that stuff probably wont do much...

I know some of my friends have been a little disturbed when they listened to a couple of tracks on my iPod...

try
Like Tooth Decay
Mismo Canibalismo
Parasitus
Miss Balaton
Szerencsétlen
Winnipeg is A Frozen ****hole

by Venetian Snares

Hmm... maybe not "scary" per se, but it's far from cheery, and I guess it really depends what you normally listen to.... scary music is all about the contrasts, man. If you're into pretty intense and avant garde electronic music, then that stuff probably wont do much...

True to an extent, because I am really into all kinds of metal, black/death/deathcore/melodic/symphonic, w/e you wanna call all of it, and I listen to some crazy bands, but even at times the bands I love listening to scare the hell out of me, I see where you are coming from though. It all depends on my mood. For instance I just got in my car to go somewhere and it was like midnight, Whitechapel was in the player on the first track of their first album, and it was really creepy just because of my environment on top of the music. I was at a point in my life after hearing all of this crazy music that scared me, that I though life was pointless and I had no idea and no reason to live. I still think I have no reason to live, but I have a motive that drives me to live and it's music, but this just shows that after listening to so much crazy music, you will go crazy yourself hahahaha. Probably not true, but I like to think so. Anyway scary music, I still haven't heard anything from you guys that really scared the urine out of me. Keep the tunes comin, I really want to see what everyone else finds to be terrifying, or maybe I just listen to some really messed up music.

When I was in my teens I was reading The Exorcist. One night I went into my rumpus room, smoked a scoob, turned the lights down, put on Black Sabbath's first album starting with the eponymous first track and got reading.

There was Ozzy growling out:

What is this that stands before me
Figure in black that points at me
Turn round quick and start to run
Find out I'm the chosen one - OH LORD YEAH!

That was pretty scary! :D

Had I known more at the time I might have put on King Crimson's Larks Tongies in Aspic (Parts I and II) or maybe Fracture or Devil's Triangle. If I was born later it might have been Level Five.

György Ligeti's Requiem. (You've probably heard it in Kubrick's 2001).

Very little to grasp onto, it's probably the most reliably unsettling piece of music I've ever heard.

György Ligeti's Requiem. (You've probably heard it in Kubrick's 2001).

Very little to grasp onto, it's probably the most reliably unsettling piece of music I've ever heard.

This is EXACTLY the song I had in mind when reading the thread title. Listing to that song in the middle of the night with headphones on makes my testicles want to shrivel up into my stomach!!

Penderecki is another master of dissonance. Kubrick used some of his works in the Shining and other films as well, I believe.

Back