Getting better at drums

Ikebongo

Im having trouble expressing how i feel the beat and it’s really frustrating. Im not sure what to do. Im talking like little embelishments like syncopation and accents nothing too complicated though.

I have been practicing with books but that is just like straight forward drum beats. I played with a guitar player today and it helped me feel it more but i got frustrated because i felt like i was holding myself back by just keeping time.

When i play guitar im very rythmic and can play any rythm i feel drums is so hard there’s so many options to go wrong or mess up i feel. I feel like its because i suck at kick drum idk

Is your problem getting what you hear in your head down to your limbs?

Is your problem getting what you hear in your head down to your limbs?

Yes but i also feel what i hear and want to do like a cool syncopated rythm just to feel the groove and then like i get all fucked up about it and frustrated, and then i loose it and end up just playing straight boring time with what feels like ‘no feel’ and i always end up not knowing whats wrog with my kick bc sometimes its good and other times i cant do it.

So yes i feel like its mostly on my kick drum and sncopating it or playing the beats where i want it to go, like 16ths

It will take practice to get to play “syncopated” kick rhythms. This is the old advice, I know, but true. If you feel the rhythms but can’t play them, you’re half way there! You still need to improve your stick use since sticking is closely tied to foot work. For practice start with the basic 1-3 beat (snare on 1 and 3), shift to back beat snare on 2 and 4 and back then add a simple shuffle for a couple measures. Repeat. Play 4 quarters with the kick for a couple measures then mix in with the mix. That should get you started, basically.
Good luck!

Yes but i also feel what i hear and want to do like a cool syncopated rythm just to feel the groove and then like i get all fucked up about it and frustrated, and then i loose it and end up just playing straight boring time with what feels like ‘no feel’ and i always end up not knowing whats wrog with my kick bc sometimes its good and other times i cant do it.

So yes i feel like its mostly on my kick drum and sncopating it or playing the beats where i want it to go, like 16ths

This is normal. We all go through or have been through it. The foots tendency, or want, to follow the hands is pretty common. Don't get discouraged, it is most likely a coordination issue. The more you practice, the easier it becomes. I know this is the default answer, but there is truth to it.

Here is an idea, try doing rudiments between one hand and your kick. An example with paradiddles: HFHH FHFF

Make sure you switch combinations of hands and feet too; right/right, right/left, left/left, left/right (hands/feet respectively, then do feet/hands).

Drumming is mostly coordination. Once you can unwire your limbs, your brain will communicate it's ideas better.

AGREED! I enjoy creating short patterns, dial in on the click at a slow bpm then increase bpm as I get comfortable. Creating groups of patterns in various signatures then switching though groups is what Ive found to increase my mental and physical dexterity.

This is coming from a guy that can't read sheet nor had instruction.

It took me years to realize that its all stick placement and time. If it is in you and you hear or feel it, with tenacity in time you may surprise yourself.

Cheers
-Ian

Try singing or verbalizing what you want to play-Jeff Hamilton and others suggest this- it works. Plenty of drummers vocalize the music- you’ll hear Bernard Purdie and some jazz cats.

If it's your time...it will affect your guitar playing too. Study time. Meaning work with a metronome. It will show you...in no uncertain terms...what good time is supposed to sound like. Cheers to you for recognizing it's not working. My first guess is the time needs work. Time is the hardest thing IMO.

Im giving up drums i suck at them. Guitar is my calling.

Don't give up. Keep them around even if they aren't your calling. I am this way with guitar. I have sucked at guitar for like 20 years now. Even though it pisses me off, I still get the urge to try and play the damn thing.

Back