Drum Instructor Podcast

GarrettTheDrummer

Hey everyone,

I've been teaching drum lessons privately for the last couple of years and have had a few friends ask me about how to get started teaching drum lessons. I figured since they all had questions maybe some of you would as well, and so I decided to put together a podcast on the subject of how to start teaching. In it I hope to go over things like how to find students, how to developing curriculum's, and how to go about teaching kids compared to adults. In the first episode I just go over some main things to think about before getting started. This is my first time putting a podcast together so there are some things that might need to get changed if I decide to keep making these. I would really appreciate any feedback I could get on this. Feel free to tell me if this is terrible because I had a lot of fun making it and would like to make future episodes better. Sorry if any of this stuff seems pretty obvious.

The first episode is on my website and I'm waiting for it to get reviewed by itunes. You can find it and listen here.

http://garrettthedrummer.com/podcasts/

Thank you!

Okay, I'll go first. I enjoyed this introductory episode and premiss of this podcast. I do think that a podcast about teaching drum lessons fills a gap in the drumming podcast market (as far as I know). Whether this is a gap worth filling, I guess we will find out.

I like what you said about how a highly educated drummer who may not be the greatest player can still be a great drum teacher. This sum me up quite a bit. I am who you are talking about. I hold several college degrees and have learned a lot about teaching drums while getting those degrees. Experience also is a underestimated factor. 15 years ago I was not the teacher I am today. There was a thread on this topic a few years ago. If I remember correctly, most others disagree with us.

While obvious, I'm glad you mentioned the importance of having the basics down including time, technique, styles, etc. This is something often overlooked by new teachers. They are really doing a disservice to the drumming community by teaching.

You are also correct to a certain extent when you say that teachers should teacher the styles they are familiar with. Quality teachers will soon become facial with styles so that they can teach a broad range of students.

Bottom line: I enjoyed it a lot and subscribed to your podcast. Disclaimer: I am a drum teacher who listens to A LOT of podcasts (drumming, education, and otherwise) so I ready am your target audience. I am looking forward to more complicated topics that you can get deeper into. Good luck!

Okay, I'll go first. I enjoyed this introductory episode and premiss of this podcast. I do think that a podcast about teaching drum lessons fills a gap in the drumming podcast market (as far as I know). Whether this is a gap worth filling, I guess we will find out.

I like what you said about how a highly educated drummer who may not be the greatest player can still be a great drum teacher. This sum me up quite a bit. I am who you are talking about. I hold several college degrees and have learned a lot about teaching drums while getting those degrees. Experience also is a underestimated factor. 15 years ago I was not the teacher I am today. There was a thread on this topic a few years ago. If I remember correctly, most others disagree with us.

While obvious, I'm glad you mentioned the importance of having the basics down including time, technique, styles, etc. This is something often overlooked by new teachers. They are really doing a disservice to the drumming community by teaching.

You are also correct to a certain extent when you say that teachers should teacher the styles they are familiar with. Quality teachers will soon become facial with styles so that they can teach a broad range of students.

Bottom line: I enjoyed it a lot and subscribed to your podcast. Disclaimer: I am a drum teacher who listens to A LOT of podcasts (drumming, education, and otherwise) so I ready am your target audience. I am looking forward to more complicated topics that you can get deeper into. Good luck!

Thank you so much for taking the time to listen, and for giving me such detailed feedback. You do seem to be exactly who my target audience is. I can understand why people on this forum may be skeptical about drummers like us teaching, but at the end of the day I think experience or education is enough to start off teaching kids basic rock beats. If you have any suggestions for future topics I would love to hear them.

Thanks!

Back