Hearing a crack while tuning

jwildman

Whenever I'm tuning my snare drums or if I'm trying some snare drums out in the store I always hear this crack that makes me think the shell is breaking. What is this sound and is it bad for the drum? All the drums I'm talking about are metal shells.

I believe the sound is generated from the head to shell contact as the head is stretching as you crank down on the tuning lugs. Similar to that of your car door opening and creeking when the hinge isn't lubed.

Yep, normal sound of the head seating.

More specifically, it's the glue used to attach the Mylar film to the hoop cracking and flexing as strain is put on it. It is entirely normal.

This is particularly prone when using Remo heads, but I have heard it on other brands as well.

Dennis

It's your shell cracking! Oh No! You're screwing it all up man!

JK ;)

Whenever I'm tuning my snare drums or if I'm trying some snare drums out in the store I always hear this crack that makes me think the shell is breaking. What is this sound and is it bad for the drum? All the drums I'm talking about are metal shells.

Unless it's a Remo head, that sound is the head slipping suddenly as you tune, nothing to worry about, totally normal.

Back