Tesseract Polaris

Seen these guys a couple of times now. Not overly blown away to be honest but that's my opinion. Like watching a rock band with someone from X Factor singing, doesn't work live.

Saw them support Karnivool who were class and the second time I saw them they were with Animals as Leaders who were the mutts nutts. Animals as Leaders is music by maths but it's amazing to watch. Physical Education...tune!

Opeths last album Pale Communion is where I'd go for good progressive playing, Martin Axenrot is a very underrated player.

Shame about the programmed drums, but I've been really digging this album. The grooves are very deep, I feel like I can just sink in to them. Reminds me of Leprous in that way. Excellent vocals.

Not programmed, but definitely heavily processed and possibly with samples added on top.

I will eat my own arm if they're not programmed. They sound exactly like Altered State. In Dystopia, the fills at 0:43, 1:43, and 2:01 heavily imply to me that they are copy-pasted parts. The stack cymbal doesn't sound like Jay's current stack at all. And the timing is so constant that it really feels computer-quantized to me.

http://ask.fm/jaypostones/answer/126252631312 It's not out of the question.

Yeah, I think I was way too quick to reply there. I hadn't had a proper listen to the album yet; I'd only had it playing while I was working and doing other stuff.

I've been spinning a few tracks now, and you're right that it does sound very digital. Might be triggered from a MIDI source and then messed around with or fully programmed, but but they do not sound organic. Apologies, I shouldn't have posted without at least having a proper listen.

I was going to say that I'd be disappointed if that turned out to be true, but that's not actually the case. I'm equally disappointed if these are in fact real drums and it turns out that they've been processed so much that they essentially completely sound digital.

It's understandable though. As big as Tesseract has gotten within their genre, they're still light years away from being a household name and making any sort of big bucks. Good drum recording is expensive as hell and requires a lot of expertise, so since guitars, vocals and keyboards can easily be recorded in a decent quality home studio I'm assuming that budget and/or time constraints made it too difficult to get a proper drum recording done.

At least there's some comfort in knowing that the decision to go for digital drums is not due to the fact that Jay can't play the parts. The man is a beast.

Real/digital doesn't bother me much for some reason. It is a very produced sounding album but it suits the musical style I think. As long as they can do it live I'm happy.

No problem ;) My issue with is just that Tesseract is entirely groove-based, and I know Jay could give a great studio performance on these tracks with all the subtle imperfections (compared to machine-perfect time) that constitute a tasty groove. And I'm sure it wouldn't sound too bad either in the recording studio the guitarist owns... 😒

Back