Bands ... The Franchise

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
This is an idea I've been working on for a while. If we apply the same thinking that goes into producing Starbucks, Ruby Tuesdays etc. to band performances. What would happen. Sort of along the lines of one central contractor that owns the equipment for multiple "bands"**! and moves the equipment, then negotiates contracts for play conforming to a certain standard, then hires musicians to fill these roles. The "musicians" would earn fairly minimal but existant wages. On the surface it seems like a horrible arrangement just like comparing your great neighborhood coffee shop to Starbucks, however on the other hand every neighborhood coffee shop isn't that great, and many locations wouldn't have coffee shops if it weren't for Starbucks and the like (ie the airport). For younger employees the corporate environment provides a relatively safe introduction to the cruel work world. Many of the musical idioms are so standardized playing the same beats and songs on the same equipment, it shouldn't be difficult to find and contract players. Furthermore, by a central contractor owning the equipment, the contractor can ensure that the sound is balanced and fits the venues(the owner wouldn't have to worry about a half stack showing up at the gig).

Have you been listening to Gene Simmons too much lately? LOL

You are going to create a band BRAND within a style that serves a particular segment and then use that brand at establishments where it would be welcomed?

I immediately thought of Kiss and all of their tribute bands....You just know that behind the scenes and while keeping it very quiet (so as not to ruin the public perception of Kiss) that they have harvested some remuneration for the profits the tributes make by using the Kiss brand...and they DO use the Kiss "brand" and capitalize on it.

Sounds like a lot of non-musical logistics and, well, work; if thats your thing. But I like the concept from a business perspective and suspect it would work....honestly.

This already is going on with cover bands and some other acts that are focused on a certain style over individual musician.

Some of the bigger acts that do corporate parties or tour certain circuits are indeed a brand, and different musicians are sent out depending on the location and who's available that day.

My concern is the number of roadies etc needed eating up the money the band would pocket. Too much administration

Sort of along the lines of one central contractor that owns the equipment for multiple "bands"**! and moves the equipment, then negotiates contracts for play conforming to a certain standard, then hires musicians to fill these roles.

The inherent problem is that the contractors face the same issues with establishments that independent bands already grapple with. Standardizing and legitimizing the 'product' won't be any more attractive or generate more pay.

As for places (and events) that need music and don't wish to deal directly with band personnel, there are event planners and booking agencies that provide talent that can be relied on to be professional, and suited for the job (such as cruises, weddings, corporate, etc.)

So, such a premise does exist, though not typically with the gear included (except on cruises, I would imagine.)

On the surface it seems like a horrible arrangement just like comparing your great neighborhood coffee shop to Starbucks, however on the other hand every neighborhood coffee shop isn't that great, and many locations wouldn't have coffee shops if it weren't for Starbucks and the like (ie the airport).

I'd say that more people are likely to want coffee or other beverage or snack on a 24/7 basis, than need to hear live music. On the other hand, I've heard bands that make coffee come out of my nose (whether or not I'm not even drinking any!)

Which makes me wonder, what do Mormons spit out of their nose?

Bermuda

Welcome to the world of mercenary semi-casuals. Lots of "bands" around here that do this. Leader with a rotating cast of sidemen. I even know of one where even the leader/singer rotates out when he's on tour. Standardized cast of subs so the quality as Jon puts it is consistent. You never know who's going to be in the band but it will be good. Also, some tailoring to the gig or venue. Some combinations know some songs together but not all of the leaders book. So the leader will run a first call of folks doing the material they want. If anyone is booked (and the first call folks around here are in many people's line ups) then they adjust from there.

Welcome to the world of mercenary semi-casuals. Lots of "bands" around here that do this. Leader with a rotating cast of sidemen. I even know of one where even the leader/singer rotates out when he's on tour. Standardized cast of subs so the quality as Jon puts it is consistent. You never know who's going to be in the band but it will be good. Also, some tailoring to the gig or venue. Some combinations know some songs together but not all of the leaders book. So the leader will run a first call of folks doing the material they want. If anyone is booked (and the first call folks around here are in many people's line ups) then they adjust from there.

Yep, that's what I am talking about, except as a band leader it's a royal pain to track down these would be musicians, and well the work isn't all that dependable, but I figure if they can IPO a coffee shop. Maybe if someone wrote an app like UBER for bands.

Band leaders already have access to countless players via 1) countless networking sites, 2) forums dedicated to specific players, and especially 3)personal experience.

Having a clearing house of sorts for eligible players still subjects the band leader to the same interview and audition process that he'd have on his own. Having an organized version of that, even if it was possible to establish a reliable standard for such a subjective 'art', isn't going to save any time for the people trying to find band members. Not to mention, you only need one clown to render such an organization useless, which then hurts the good players who might rely on them for work.

Here's sort of an analogy. If guitar players were certified, maybe even ranked, to some agreed-upon standard, would you hire someone based on their rank, with complete confidence in the certifying organization's assessment? I hope not! You'd interview and audition that person, just as it's always been done.

Bermuda

Band leaders already have access to countless players via 1) countless networking sites, 2) forums dedicated to specific players, and especially 3)personal experience.

Having a clearing house of sorts for eligible players still subjects the band leader to the same interview and audition process that he'd have on his own. Having an organized version of that, even if it was possible to establish a reliable standard for such a subjective 'art', isn't going to save any time for the people trying to find band members. Not to mention, you only need one clown to render such an organization useless, which then hurts the good players who might rely on them for work.

Here's sort of an analogy. If guitar players were certified, maybe even ranked, to some agreed-upon standard, would you hire someone based on their rank, with complete confidence in the certifying organization's assessment? I hope not! You'd interview and audition that person, just as it's always been done.

Bermuda

I guess it would be nice to have some one else manage it wouldn't it? I'm guessing this is why most bands aren't that great, because even if they can play, they still can't get it together, there is always something missing. Equipment, players, gigs, etc.

Seems to me the hardest part is finding people, establishments and venues that want a band and are willing to pay for it.
Also, getting these places to trust you to provide the quality of music they want.

For instance, if someone needed a band for this weekend, I could easily put together a band with musicians I know. Not a problem.

I assume you have heard of "Gig Masters" on the internet.

Back