Drum Shed Hell

A thunder of Coxy

Hi again guys,

I've got a wooden shed in my back and some time ago had it 'soundproofed' as best as I could at the time. Sticking quite a bit of insulation foam between the original wall and boards of dry wall to get a room within a room feel. Since then however the roof of the shed has not been strong enough to hold up the wood and began drooping so I took it down with now just the walls and door covered.
I was thinking with regards to the roof to get some decent foam to reduce the volume bit at the same time not be a heavy weight. I'm not sure whether the foam itself will just dampen the sound rather than cut out noise pollution outside for the neighbours. Or I had the thought of getting a new piece of wood to act as a new roof inside running parallel to the original triangle roof of the shed. This would then give a loft type of place which I could load with rock wall or something. This parallel wall would rest on the angle of the walls so the triangle roof would not have all the weight on it.

Your thoughts and opinions are greatly welcomed :)

Coxy

You will have to post pics.
It sounds like the shed has some structure issues that have to be addressed.
If the shed isn't structurally sound the roof could colaspe.
Collar ties may be needed to keep the roof from sagging and pushing out the walls.

Foam does nothing for sound proofing. Honestly, heavy insulation does only slightly more than that when used by itself and only slightly more than that when used in conjunction with proper methods.

Any description of a roof that includes drooping can't possibly be good thing for sound proofing either. You need mass and lots of it, so you also need framing strength. Without that, you're going nowhere fast.

So, like bobdadruma says, it's pretty hard to say where your efforts should go without some kind of image of what is going on.

Ok thanks for the replies guys.

I've uploaded various angles of the shed just to give you an idea.

Help and opinions again wanted......needed. Thanks

Callum

Attachments

• PICT0077_resized.JPG
    PICT0077_resized.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 990
  • PICT0079_resized.JPG
    PICT0079_resized.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 926
  • PICT0080_resized.JPG
    PICT0080_resized.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 864
  • PICT0081_resized.JPG
    PICT0081_resized.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 903
  • PICT0082_resized.JPG
    PICT0082_resized.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 908
  • PICT0083_resized.JPG
    PICT0083_resized.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 842
  • PICT0084_resized.JPG
    PICT0084_resized.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 852
With the long span of the sub-par support joists holding the roofing material, I'm really not surprised the roof hasn't collapsed on it's own. Without more and adequate support joists, I wouldn't be hanging anything from that ceiling. In fact, I'd think about getting my drums out of the way.

I'm not talking code here, but just plain safety.

Dennis

hi
I offer the following suggestion...build room with a room. Walls with a spaces between them prove sound proofing. you also need a raise floor!
All ceilings and walls should be of double layer sheet rock with a 3" air space. You will also need an air condition unit!
good luck! Denis

From looking at the pics I can see that that roof systen will not hold a lot of weight.
There are no ties that run across to keep the roof from pushing the walls out.
You will have to build a room within a room that doesn't hang from the shed roof.
I would add triangle shaped joists and collar ties suport the roof.
You need to add joists and collar ties like the picture.

Attachments

• Collar Tie.jpeg
    Collar Tie.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 7,302
Thanks for the input guys. Bobda you are gent for that diagram, I had something similar in mind and yes I really do need collars. With regards to the space between the ceiling joist and the roof, apart from the collars for support would it be practical to place sheet rock or foam in parts to reduce them volume or will this make no difference? Cheers

Well my 2 cents. If you're not going to rebuild it, you've got to get at least three trusses in on each roof slope that run from the ridge to the eaves. You might be able to cram a 2"x6" in there with some Simmons straps or a truss bucket but you'll have to remove at least six of the tongue and groove boards in the ceiling.

As long as the wall framing is adequate that should take care of the sag.

Back