Trad. grip players check in ....

A

Anthony Amodeo

....even if you are part time trad grip....

Gvdadrummasum checks in

I'm a full-timer. Checking in!

I'm a believer of using what works. On bass, I play mostly with fingers, but will use a pick when appropriate. On drums, some thing feels better trad, others matched. I don't even think about it -- I automatically turn the stick around in anticipation of what to play.

I'm a believer of using what works. On bass, I play mostly with fingers, but will use a pick when appropriate. On drums, some thing feels better trad, others matched. I don't even think about it -- I automatically turn the stick around in anticipation of what to play.

in other words......

plangentmusic part time trad player checking in

:)

Count me in although I like to change it up depending on the tempo and who I am playing with/what style....

80/20 matched to trad. I agree that some things just feel right traditional. I practice both. ALWAYS with brushes as well.

80/20 matched to trad. I agree that some things just feel right traditional. I practice both. ALWAYS with brushes as well.

absolutely

each grip has it benefits and each offer something the other does not

in my opinion every drummer should learn both even if they eventually choose to just use one most of the time

Checking in.... I play both however. Trad feels better with the grooves - can execute more fills with much greater ease with matched.

Snare is on a 1 or 2 degree angle towards me.

Checking in.

I practice with Traditional grip 60/40 to matched, but play live mainly with matched.
With my new trio, I use some traditional grip, & brushes are always played with matched grip.

My snare is tilted away from me.
It just feels natural, and it's easier to play rim shots (or no rim shots) tilted down a little. With the snare flat, then it's 99% rim shots, which is fine for the heavy rock stuff.

Always trad grip when playing w/brushes. And I'd say...50/50 w/sticks - music and/or rudiment practice.

I play mostly traditional.

I play with traditional when I'm playing with the right kind of music. About 75% of my drumming gigs call for matched grip, but when I'm practicing rudiments I'll practice both grips extensively. I'm addicted to playing traditional, so I could never stop completely!

are you a tilt the snare forward guy 8?

it feels worlds more comfortable for me

Gvd,

Yeah, but I didn't start that until fairly recently. I used to play it perfectly flat, but I find that forward and slightly to the right works best. Especially if I'm playing backbeats and want to hit consistent rimshots.

Probably 80/20 matched/trad for me. Padwork usually ends up being traditional; I guess it reminds me of high school marching snare. And yes, I always play traditional with brushes.

Back