Who still puts a pillow/blanket in the bass drum?

Frost

Silver Member
Just wondering who muffles their bass drum by putting the old pillow/blanket in it.

I do, what else do you use?

...one looks at what is already in the home before going to the store...

...although I cut a circles out of rubber mat that I got from Clark Rubber and put them on all the other drums. I cut out two for the bass drum (rear and front), it muffles really well and depending on how tight you tape it to the bass drum can influence the feel, you try to make it feel as much like the drum head as possible.

I do. A pretty small pillow or blanket preferably, but that's what I found works best for my playing situation.

When I went to add just a scoche of muffling to my kick, I grabbed the first thing that was ready available - an old Army field jacket. I took some duct tape and rolled it up tightly to something about the size of an airline pillow and put it in my kick just across the bottom to where it grazes both heads. I still have a lot of oomph and projection, but this keeps it from sounding like a 20" tom.

I do, I have a small 'scatter' cushion I liberated from the sofa. I still get the boom but also the thump I like.

I use the EVANS EQ Pad. Sounds great, and you can add several for further muffling. It also looks a lot nicer than just some clothes and pillows.

Fox.

I've used the Simon Phillips "rolled towel" method for years and love it.

I was raised on a muffled bass drum and everytime I try to remove the muffling, I end up putting it back in. Im irreverseably inprinted. I prefer the sound and feel. There's plenty of people here who run it unmuffled. How about you Frost? Unmuffled right? (thread title provides hints)

Poke fun at me all you like...

I use my baby blanket. It provides the perfect balance of muffling and nurturing.

I use enough muffling to tighten up the sound enough for a mic. I have no issue with a blanket or pillow to do that but I prefer the Evans RGS pad because I can fine tune the muffling to a much greater degree.

I think the stigma against bass drum muffling that surfaces here from time-to-time is reduckulous.

I've tried just about everything...blankets, pillows, EQ pad, felt strips, nothing. To me, a balance between sound AND feel is critical. If it sounds good but feels crappy under the foot, causing me to work much harder for the same notes...something has to give.

I buy Wicked Pissa pillows from the guy who makes them, on eBay. They're DW-style "hourglass" pillows. I play a 16" deep kick so I buy 14" long pillows. I put them very lightly against the batter head and obviously, they don't touch the reso.

Not only does this feel excellent...but it only removes the unwanted basketball-slapping "PONG" overtones, leaving all of the boom and sensitivity that I want.

I find that putting a blanket or pillow in the bass drum produces a dry thump, reminiscent of hitting a cardboard box. It, literally, absorbs all of the life out of the drum. I like there to be some actual "bass" from my bass drum. With the options commercially available; EMAD, SKII, and Aquarian Regulator reso, and all of the do-it-yourself remedies; porting the reso head, felt strips, etc., there's no need to throw a blanket or pillow in the bass drum anymore, unless you want it really dry.

Also, the feel is very important. Stuffing a comforter up to the batter head will make playing the bass drum like playing a wall, and that's not my cup of tea.

I do recommend that my students put a blanket or pillow in their kick drum if their parents complain about noise levels in the house, but that's about it.

To each their own, though...

I use a very small feather pillow in my 20" Yamaha Oak Custom when I play at home just to control some of the volume. When I play in a bigger space I take it out - it's pretty load for a 20" hmmm love it...

It provides the perfect balance of muffling and nurturing.
Hilarious! I wish my bass drum provided me with nurturing.

I like having a pillow that just barely touches the batter head and doesn't touch the reso. This way I don't get the batter moving around all over the place (I have my Bass Drum tuned rather low) and my reso head is able to resonate freely.

I'll admit I have been interested in trying the Aquarian SKII and no pillow. just to hear what it sounds like. But then again, I'm sure its harder to get clear defined notes when playing busier bass drum patterns...

-Jonathan

I run my kick with no pillows or blankets. PS3 batter , Aquarian regulator reso (soon to be PS3 reso)

I used to. Now, GMAD on the batter, PS3 on the front. I don't need anything in there.

With the EMAD/REMAD thing going, any more muffling and I don't think you'd actually be able to hear the kick at all.

I have an Evans EQ Pad that came with the kick when I bought it (used). Sometimes I put it in, sometimes not. It sounds good both ways.

Back