How often do you guys play?

brianbags

It's kind of embarrassing but I play an hour a day on average lol. Just wondering if that's a lot compared to others.

It's kind of embarrassing but I play an hour a day on average lol. Just wondering if that's a lot compared to others.

Nope, not a lot compared to a bunch of guys I know. . . I've been playing for a minimum of 1 - 2 hours pretty much every day for over a decade! I believe it was Weckl who said that at one point he was practicing as much as 8 hours a day.

Now that would be pretty sweet.

Nope, not a lot compared to a bunch of guys I know. . . I've been playing for a minimum of 1 - 2 hours pretty much every day for over a decade! I believe it was Weckl who said that at one point he was practicing as much as 8 hours a day.

Now that would be pretty sweet.

Well an hour to two hours is all my hands can take at once lol. They get all red and if I go over two hours I get some nasty blisters

It would be nice to practice for 8 hours...but I have a job and other stuff to do...I am about one hour as well...sometimes 2. As a beginner, 2 hours really starts to hurt my hands and arms.

I practice independently an hour a day at least four to five days a week. Some weeks I devote an hour or two less to independent practice.
I practice with two bands about six hours a week. Three hours per band roughly.
I gig about three times a month.
I'm not a pro and I work a day job 50 hours a week. I would practice more if I had the time.

I wish I had the time to play for an hour a day. I have band practise or a gig at least once a week and some weeks that is all the playing time I get. I would say that I average 4 hours a week, but those are usually in large 2 hour chunks a couple of times a week. Unfortunatly I work long hours and finding time to play the drums during the week is difficult.

2-3 gigs a week. Zero practice time.

I wish I had time to work on stuff, but I am definitely glad I get to play as much as I do.

An hour a day is honestly nothing...most high school musicians spend like 50 minutes a day in orchestra or concert band, then two and a half or three hours in marching band, and maybe an extra hour in jazz band, and if they have their own band, two or three hours a week there.

When I was in high school, I had a practice schedule that was roughly 8 hours a day M-S, then 4 or 6 on Sunday. I would take days off, of course. It was rare.

An average band that plays out (by themselves, not in multi-band shows) is going to play three or four hours of music, and needs to be able to do it without getting tired and losing steam, so you have to have chops built up from hours of practice to do that.

I gig on average 3 days a week 4 hour gigs so thats 12 hours.
Practice with the band twice a week from anywhere from 4-6 hours so another 8-12 there.
I practice on my own at least an hour 6 days a week. so thats another 6 hours.

26-28 hours a week.

Well you guys all make me feel like a bitter failure. :(

I don't know anyone to play with anymore, and I live in an apartment complex, so playing much of anything is really difficult. And I work full time.

I WISH I could do an hour a day.

Well you guys all make me feel like a bitter failure. :(

I don't know anyone to play with anymore, and I live in an apartment complex, so playing much of anything is really difficult. And I work full time.

I WISH I could do an hour a day.

Don't feel like a failure...but at the same time, realize that you CAN put in more time if it's really important to you. You live in an apartment...so do I, but I spend hours working with pads. There are also SoundOff pads, etc, that can mute drums. Most people watch some TV, or go see movies, or just hang out with friends, etc, a few times a week. All of that is fine, of course, but if you really want to, most people (except for maybe new parents and people who work two full time jobs, or situations like that) have at least an hour of downtime in their day, that they choose to fill with those other things. Instead, if you discipline yourself to spend it drumming, you will see great results.

An hour a day is honestly nothing...most high school musicians spend like 50 minutes a day in orchestra or concert band, then two and a half or three hours in marching band, and maybe an extra hour in jazz band, and if they have their own band, two or three hours a week there.

When I was in high school, I had a practice schedule that was roughly 8 hours a day M-S, then 4 or 6 on Sunday. I would take days off, of course. It was rare.

An average band that plays out (by themselves, not in multi-band shows) is going to play three or four hours of music, and needs to be able to do it without getting tired and losing steam, so you have to have chops built up from hours of practice to do that.

I had some days in high school (tuesdays and thursdays fall semester) where I would put in an hour in wind ensemble, jazz band, and marching band, then another 2 hours in marching band, and then go home and play another hour or so. It was very tiring.

I jam with my three!! (yes, I am that mad) bands at the rehearsal space for 4 hours a night (tues, weds, thurs) and then about 1 - 2 hours on the other days at home with the e-kit.

Add in a gig or two a month... adds up to around 16-20 hours a week. Been playing for 18 months :)

hmm I average maybe 12hrs, I have an e-kit at my house which I use to rehearse fills or the set.
Practice pad for after hours when my house mates are in bed. I have practice pad and metronome at my g/f's so when she's talking to her family back home I can get an hour in there.
I also have a pad and sticks in the car for those annoying traffic jams but rarely get anything meaningful done in there.

Also rehearsal with band is for 4 hours and we play 2 - 3 hour sets no gigs so far in 2010! Bit of a slow start.

Minimum 3 hours a day either practicing, playing along to music or playing with the band.

I play 1 1/2 hours a day,45 min a day on the practice pad during the quiet hours and about ten hours a week with my band. wish i could give up my 40 hour a week day job and just play drums ...sigh....

I play in three bands, 3 hour rehersals per week per band. I try to put in 1 to 3 hours a day on my own. I do stick control for an hour every day even if I don't get to practice on my kit.
I use stick control on my feet for the same time every day. After work family and bands there is only so much time in the day left.

I practice for an hour a day Monday-Thursday and take my 1 hour drum lesson every Friday. If I'm lucky I might get in another hour or so each week here and there and rarely get to play on the weekends.

Back