Favorite snare drum size

wsabol

Gold Member
Hey guys, I just wanted to start a poll on people's favorite snare drum sizes. Do you like them deep? shallow? small? big?

I'll start it off. I love my 14" x 5.5". Very average, but its great for everything. Its not necessarily deep, but its not shallow either. Fits in any musical situation, and always sounds good.

I love all sizes. But most of all really unique ones.

12 x 6
13 x 4
14 x 8
15 x 6 or 7

Are my favorites.

Currently useing a 14x6.5 Tama Metalworks Snare. For the price it's a very good snare and get's the job done for me.

Last edited:
14x6.5 tama starclassic bubuga wood snare

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 3,545
Last edited:
Lately I've really fallen in love with my 13x3,5 Tama Artwood snare drum. I think it's called Tama Artwood Shaggy, because of the black fur finish (Aaaaww yeah, a snare drum with a nice fur to caress). Although it is a piccolo, it's VERY versatile and blends really nice with my 80s vintage Gretsch kit B-)

Lately I've really fallen in love with my 13x3,5 Tama Artwood snare drum. I think it's called Tama Artwood Shaggy, because of the black fur finish (Aaaaww yeah, a snare drum with a nice fur to caress). Although it is a piccolo, it's VERY versatile and blends really nice with my 80s vintage Gretsch kit B-)

I've been searching for that snare for 8 months now!

Where on earth did you find it???

I've been searching for that snare for 8 months now!

Where on earth did you find it???

Haha! I was randomly looking around the internet and local music shops in Oslo, as I had just bought my Gretsch kit that summer (I think
it was in 2009). I really needed a snare drum because the guy I bought the kit from, kept the snare that was part of the kit. Anyhow, I found it
in a shop that actually functioned more as a storage place for a web-based drumshop here in Norway. I didn't expect them to have anything in,
but suddenly, there it stood. In all of its funky, furry glory B-) I liked the sound, and LOVED the finish. So I bought it :D

I have never seen a snare like it ever again, so I'm really glad I made that purchase. I think I payed somewhere between 1300-1500 norwegian
kroners for it, which is about 235-270 USD ;-)

Btw, I also love this old Tama Rockstar 14x6,5 stainless steel snare I found lying around in an old abandoned office building that we used to
rehearse in. It sounds awesome tuned both low and high =)

I prefer metal snares that are 6.5x14. For wood I like a little shallower - 5.5x14.

I have no idea. I have a 13"x6.5" steel, a 14"x5" Ash and a 13"x6.5" oak. Right now I'm leaning towards deeper - say a 14"x7". Five years ago I would've said a piccolo.

Haha! I was randomly looking around the internet and local music shops in Oslo, as I had just bought my Gretsch kit that summer (I think
it was in 2009). I really needed a snare drum because the guy I bought the kit from, kept the snare that was part of the kit. Anyhow, I found it
in a shop that actually functioned more as a storage place for a web-based drumshop here in Norway. I didn't expect them to have anything in,
but suddenly, there it stood. In all of its funky, furry glory B-) I liked the sound, and LOVED the finish. So I bought it :D

I have never seen a snare like it ever again, so I'm really glad I made that purchase. I think I payed somewhere between 1300-1500 norwegian
kroners for it, which is about 235-270 USD ;-)

Btw, I also love this old Tama Rockstar 14x6,5 stainless steel snare I found lying around in an old abandoned office building that we used to
rehearse in. It sounds awesome tuned both low and high =)

Great find!

There's one in South Africa for $220...

No much help to me.

i don't have a favorite size because, different snares made out of different materials sound better or worse in some sizes, plus I haven't played that many snares to make an opinion. I am starting a project soon, making a 14x8 snare, to contrast my 14x6 that came with my Catalina and the 13x3 Pearl Piccolo that I have.

I really like my 6x14 Suprasonic snare. My 2nd choice, though, is my 12x13 tom...really!

Do you mean Ludwig Supraphonic?Its not suprasonic.The drum you speak of is either 5x14 or 6 1/2x 14

My favorites sizes depend on shell material.but my all around go to is the 6 1/2x 14 Supra LM 402,or my 5x14 Black Beauty.My 47' Super Gene Krupa Slingerland Radio King,79 Slingerland Spitfire,laquered brass,TDR strainer 5x14,and my 81 Tama Superstar birch,8x14,and lastly my 64 Ludwig Jazzfest

Steve B

Back