Anybody else who doesn't care about the World Cup?

I care about the cup if.........we can melt it down, make some blanks, roll, hammer reheat hammer lathe and hey presto a really nice pang cymbal.

Gold cymbals! I wonder what they would sound like. Actually I wonder if anyone has ever made cymbals out of precious metals. Obviously too pricey to market, but what would they sound like? too soft perhaps?

I don't think the England squad is anywhere near as valuable as you think, there are few if any truly world class players in it and their performance has shown them up for what they were. Don't believe what the English media tell you, they overrate the team frequently and overhype the Premier League.

Richest football heritage? How do you figure that? Sure England had a big role to play in popularising the game but there are countries who have achieved much more in the game.

Based on current market value, England are in the top five most valuable. I agree, pretty meaningless.
Heritage? Not the same as success, but the heritage is still undeniable. Believe me, i'm not bigging up England, piss-poor doesn't begin to cover it.
Still, better than Ireland, eh? ;)

Based on current market value, England are in the top five most valuable. I agree, pretty meaningless.
Heritage? Not the same as success, but the heritage is still undeniable. Believe me, i'm not bigging up England, piss-poor doesn't begin to cover it.
Still, better than Ireland, eh? ;)

The market value is likely to continue as long as young English players with one good season behind them are sold for £25/30/35 million.

Yeah, Ireland at the moment are very ordinary, a team full of journeymen players and still relying on an ageing striker for goals. Definitely a lean period.

Well done Germany! What a unit.

Disappointed for Messi, but he has silenced any critics he had left with his important displays for Argentina in this World Cup, he is one of the best of all time, as if that couldn't be assumed already.

Somebody cared about the world cup!!!

The World Cup final set a new Twitter record of 618,725 tweets per minute discussing the match, according to Twitter data.
Meanwhile, Facebook also said the game hit record numbers, prompting 280 million interactions, with 88 million people engaged globally. For comparison, 66 million people had more than 200 million posts, comments and likes during the Brazil-Germany semifinal match.
This live-time heat map illustrates just how much the Twittersphere lit up across the globe as Germany outlasted Argentina 1-0 to win the nation's fourth World Cup trophy:

On the contrary,I thought the WC final was great.Germany played their patient/waiting game,while Argentina took many limb shots on goal,and relied on a quick counter attack.Those often result in correct off sides calls,so a goal scored there is called correctly back.Germanys lone goal in overtime was a thing of beauty,and no goal keeper alive could have stopped it.

I personally,grew up around(real football) soccer,having been raised an a mostly European immigrant neighborhood,and attending a Catholic school that sponsored soccer teams,so I played the beautiful game.There were also some public and private soccer pitches(fields) to play on in Ridgewood NY.

American football is also cool but how often do you ever use your feet to kick the egg shaped ball,which isn't a ball at all?I also love baseball,but that can out of almost all sports, be as boring as golf.Hockey is a great game,but it's the only game where fighting is allowed.That's BS,as it's one of the reason for it's fan base.Take away fighting,and the sport would lose fans.The sport should be ablot the sport,skating,passing and shooting.Fight like that in any other team sport,and you're out of the game and possibly suspended,fired or arrested.There I said it.let the flames begin.

Steve B

Hockey is a great game,but it's the only game where fighting is allowed.That's BS,as it's one of the reason for it's fan base.Take away fighting,and the sport would lose fans.The sport should be ablot the sport,skating,passing and shooting.Fight like that in any other team sport,and you're out of the game and possibly suspended,fired or arrested.There I said it.let the flames begin.

Steve B

Damn Canadians eh? Really the fighting aspect is mostly a Canadian - North American slant on the game. It derives from those old original 6 teams...like the Bruins- Canadian rivalry games. The Europeans play a much more civilized and finesse hockey game, with better show of skills and talent - skating, passing shooting. You are correct the fans here would miss fighting. I think the fighting aspect of a sport is somehow very important to many fans as an outlet. For the life of me I cannot handle UFA 'fighting' as something to watch as entertainment

Oh ya world cup. Good final game, glad its over ....1 month is way too long.

Like a lot of Americans, I've never cared too much for soccer....................but I've always loved games that pit nations against nations..................................the competitive atmosphere and nationalism can be a joy to watch

Damn Canadians eh? Really the fighting aspect is mostly a Canadian - North American slant on the game. It derives from those old original 6 teams...like the Bruins- Canadian rivalry games. The Europeans play a much more civilized and finesse hockey game, with better show of skills and talent - skating, passing shooting. You are correct the fans here would miss fighting. I think the fighting aspect of a sport is somehow very important to many fans as an outlet. For the life of me I cannot handle UFA 'fighting' as something to watch as entertainment

Oh ya world cup. Good final game, glad its over ....1 month is way too long.

Europeans are the reason for the helmets and face sheilds with their constant high sticking. Not sure how civilized that is.

Europeans are the reason for the helmets and face sheilds with their constant high sticking. Not sure how civilized that is.

Huh?
The physical nature of the game, the really hard hitting - sticks on on heads, or heads on borards - is the reason for helmets. Just common sense, came about in late 70s' on, and eventually the hitting became harder, so padding went up in size. Compare the padding in a picture of Gordie Howe to say Sidney Crosby, neither of whom is super-big by their standards.

The hard hitting signature of the game originates on this side of Atlantic. Most high sticking is often accidental, and when not, is usually delivered by the brutes of the game. Are you meaning to say the European players are the brutes or goons of todays NHL?

Grunter we may need another 'off topic' thread to hash this one out :)

You guys just took soccer, put ice under it, and this became a hockey thread.

The Stanley Cup has been won…
The World Cup has been won…

Let's get back on the turf and get ready for some football. :)

… But only after the All-Star Baseball Game.

Huh?
The physical nature of the game, the really hard hitting - sticks on on heads, or heads on borards - is the reason for helmets. Just common sense, came about in late 70s' on, and eventually the hitting became harder, so padding went up in size. Compare the padding in a picture of Gordie Howe to say Sidney Crosby, neither of whom is super-big by their standards.

The hard hitting signature of the game originates on this side of Atlantic. Most high sticking is often accidental, and when not, is usually delivered by the brutes of the game. Are you meaning to say the European players are the brutes or goons of todays NHL?

Grunter we may need another 'off topic' thread to hash this one out :)

The Euros aren't the goons but they are not very "cautious" with their sticks.

nationalism and "pride" in sporting events... ain't so innocent

For example . . . let me give some cases. Take the emphasis on professional sports. It sounds harmless but it really isn’t. Professional sports are a way of building up jingoist fanaticism. You’re supposed to cheer for your home team. Just to mention something from personal experience – I remember, very well, when I was I guess, a high school student – a sudden revelation when I asked myself why am I cheering for my high school football team. I don’t know anybody on it, if I met anybody on it we’d probably hate each other. You know, why do I care if they win or if some guy a couple blocks away wins. And then you can say the same thing about the baseball team or whatever else it is.This idea of cheering for your home team -which you mentioned before – that’s a way of building into people irrational submissiveness to power. And it’s a very dangerous thing. And I think it’s one of the reasons it gets such a huge play. -Noam Chomsky

Just so there's never any question on this in the future:

I have no interest whatsoever in major televised sports of any kind, including soccer, football, baseball, tennis, NASCAR, horse racing or any endeavor that involves people chasing after or striking an object in some manner of "us versus them" adversarial construct.

While I am a strong proponent of individual athleticism, it is my observation that many televised sports appeal to all the wrong instincts in people. Second, I see these as little more than profit making schemes that distract people and leverage off of their in-group biases.

I see nothing wrong with a bunch of friends getting together to play baseball or soccer or whatever on a nice afternoon. It's good, solid, healthy fun. But sitting on a couch and watching other very highly paid people play that game while screaming at the TV, not so much.
All true, man. Hope this didn't fall on completely deaf ears.
panem et circenses ;)

Back