DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Default Does the Music Move You when You Play?

It moves me. It moves me to the point that nothing else in the world matters. Music is my true form of escapism. I exist on a totally different plane of reality - one that I sometimes have a hard time coming back from.

What about you?
Old 10-10-2016, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Does the Music Move You when You Play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 View Post
It moves me. It moves me to the point that nothing else in the world matters. Music is my true form of escapism. I exist on a totally different plane of reality - one that I sometimes have a hard time coming back from.

What about you?
It moves me when it all comes together beautifully and everyone is bang on the same wavelength. When it doesn't, it's like fingernails on a blackboard.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:48 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Most definitely. Not all the time, but enough.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:34 PM
Gold Member

I am the opposite.. When i'm not playing music can make me cry, dance, feel.. when i play i go blank and have nothing. Which will make me always be bad :)
Old 10-10-2016, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

It can be the salve on the day's wounds, it can be a flight of fancy, it can be pure escapist joy or spiritual bliss. And then sometimes it's !#@$ing WORK.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

Ideally it would always move me but, sometimes it move me and sometimes it's more like a job or routine.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:30 AM
Platinum Member

It does.

Music works as a stress-reliever for me, in addition to helping me steam ahead and stay focused when I feel I haven't the strength or drive to continue. Music allows me to tap into a hidden part of my inner-self which affords me the ability to draw upon coping skills I never knew I possessed. Music also enables me to forget about the daily rigors of life. Music is my escape from the real world.

In a nutshell, music is my healer.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:07 AM
Platinum Member

Just sometimes there's that magic moment when everything just clicks.

Also sometimes you can go through the motions and play a song which bores you, but someone in the audience is really moved by it for some reason. So you can't always judge the value of a song while you're playing.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

For me there is a sweet spot with every song where the feeling is almost euphoric. Every song has a heartbeat and when the band is up, and we all find it, it is wonderful. Its not about me playing brilliantly its about the band really cooking and making the songs live. Love it.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member

I just like hitting things and any excuse to take off my shirt.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:00 AM
Silver Member

There is music that moves me when I listen to it. Being able to play those songs just takes that feeling even further.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
For me there is a sweet spot with every song where the feeling is almost euphoric. Every song has a heartbeat and when the band is up, and we all find it, it is wonderful. Its not about me playing brilliantly its about the band really cooking and making the songs live. Love it.
^^^ This.

There are two songs that I play with my jazz band, that our singer used to have difficulties with. However, now that she's nailed them, they're probably her strongest ones and I usually get real actual tears in my eyes and goose bumps when we do them. I don't know if that affects my playing, but it makes me feel wonderful.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 10-11-2016, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
^^^ This.

There are two songs that I play with my jazz band, that our singer used to have difficulties with. However, now that she's nailed them, they're probably her strongest ones and I usually get real actual tears in my eyes and goose bumps when we do them. I don't know if that affects my playing, but it makes me feel wonderful.
Sounds great. A couple of years ago we were auditioning singers and a 20 something female turned up. She had decided to do "Love you more than you will ever know", the Amy Winehouse version.
She absolutely nailed it, but decided the band was not for her. I loved playing it on the night in question, as did the rest of the guys, and we recorded the sessions for obvious reasons.

As I say, It was great to play, as I was following the vocalist, all her inflections and emotions. Afterwards the rest of the band said the same thing. "Oh, I usually follow the bass but I was just responding to the vocals" This from the guitarist. On later listening back to that recording it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, still does.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:52 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I move the music when I play. :)
Old 10-11-2016, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Yes. It's the reason why I play. The moments are sometimes fleeting, but I savor them. I wouldn't be doing this if not for those moments.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

When it's going well, yes. Chasing that experience keeps me coming back for more.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:33 PM
Jazz Man

I feel EXACTLY the same.

Even if there is a song that isn't my "cup of tea"....I STILL psych myself into having fun with it.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:59 AM
JohnoWorld

Quote:

What about you?
Same.

Music affects me so much at times that I have to stop listening to it as it makes me too emotional. This is fine at home but when at work it's bad.

Take something like a film, at a high emotion kinda crescendo, take the music out and you don't feel the motion of the scene. If a scene is meant to be emotional, you need the right music.

Put the right music in and I get upset about anything

Playing-wise, when I'm jamming along to music, sometimes the big emotional moment comes and I get that buzz from the back of my ears and it's just amazing.

Damn I love music
Old 10-12-2016, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

The related topic is does it affect you TOO much when playing. I love the observation larryace (the other Larry) made a while back about not getting drunk when you're serving the beer. Or something like that. It's really true. You can't be so intoxicated by the music that your playing suffers. It's easy to fall into that trap. I have many times and it's only recently that I feel like I'm better at avoiding it.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
You can't be so intoxicated by the music that your playing suffers. It's easy to fall into that trap. I have many times and it's only recently that I feel like I'm better at avoiding it.
Interesting observation. I never thought about that.

I become more moved when I enter the "zone." When you and the music are one - kind of like dancing with the perfect partner. There's no thinking there's just existence.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Interesting observation. I never thought about that.

I become more moved when I enter the "zone." When you and the music are one - kind of like dancing with the perfect partner. There's no thinking there's just existence.
I first noticed it in my own playing when I started recording performances. Those parts when I thought I was really "feeling it" in the moment were the parts where the playing started sounding sloppy and unfocused upon playback.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:27 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
You can't be so intoxicated by the music that your playing suffers.
There's a line between being absorbed by the music, and playing from a clinical, detached perspective. My focus tends to be more on my playing, but I'm obviously aware and usually enjoying the music as background, probably a 70/20 split. The other 10 is my mind wandering, thinking about stuff I have to do the next day, etc. I hesitate to call it auto-pilot, because I'm still focused on my playing. It's more like multi-tasking. :)

Bermuda
Old 10-13-2016, 02:38 AM
Renegade

It varies for me. My bands' good days and bad days were more obvious than they are for pros. I surely wasn't intoxicated when I or the other players were stinking up the joint lol. It's also not intoxicating to play with lousy foldback or messy acoustics. Meanwhile, the good days tend to fly by unexamined because everyone's so immersed.

The trouble with being "intoxicated" by the music while playing is that the thought, "wow, it's sounding awesome" is always followed by something ordinary because you'd stopped being involved with the music while playing the critic.

The "good days" state is more immersive than intoxicating.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:20 PM
Gold Member

This question just lent validation to my decision to change bands, which I am in the process of doing. If all members of the band are properly prepared, and everyone is feeling at the time, then I can really be moved by a song. Seems those aspects have diminished in my current band.

I do wander at times playing and that I suppose is normal. The audience plays a role in how much I am moved also. I know we are supposed to give a full and engaged performance every time but an enthusiastic and engaged audience really helps me to truly enjoy and get deep into the music.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

To borrow from Matt Groening..

Music is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
At night, the ice weasels come.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

What about you?
Yup. It blows me away. ALL the time I am playing. I LOVE the music my band plays. And I love the fact that people give us applause and tell us how much they enjoyed it.

And even at home, when I have my headphones on and I'm labouring my way through a Genesis song, or a Yes song, I'm THERE. I literally feel I'm playing in that band. I know I'm not of course but I get so deep into the experience of playing WITH the music that my mind takes me there.

Playing drums, creating music, entertaining people, is THE most special experience anyone could possibly experience. I'd compare it to having my children, who I love dearly, but it would be an unfair comparison....having them didn't even come close :-) :-)

The nicest thing about drums of course is that pretty much anyone can play them. I'm a very large guy. I never fail to observe people's jaws drop in the venues we play when the guy they presume to be helping the band lump stuff around grabs sticks and knocks out an hour to two hours of exciting punk rock music.

Love it....great subject by the way. I'm off to my mancave know to knock some more shit out of ma Edrums....woop
Old 10-14-2016, 07:02 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Those parts when I thought I was really "feeling it" in the moment were the parts where the playing started sounding sloppy and unfocused upon playback.
So true Larry (the other white meat :). It's kind of cruel in a way. To be able to feel that good...you would think that the playing would be that good too. But no, that's not the way to make music the way we'd like to hear it. (Thank you recorder)

My original story was the guy brewing the beer can't get intoxicated, not the guy serving the beer. Let's get these facts straight in the future OK Lar? :)

I used to get "into it" way too much, and it held me back for years. I had to learn a little healthy separation. But that's me. I see drummers who could use more of the "getting into it" mindset. It's a fine line between nailing it and letting my emotions hamstring me.

I do best when I have the assassin mindset. It's just business, I can't get emotionally involved, at all. That's what works in my world.

The reward I get for keeping my emotions out of it is recordings that don't make me cringe. And compliments. So there are rewards for forfeiting that feeling.

Last edited by larryace; 10-14-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
My original story was the guy brewing the beer can't get intoxicated
But the brewer has to taste the beer, right? He can't just ship it off and hope for the best. But he also can't get so smashed that he don't care what it tastes like anymore.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:41 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headbanger View Post
But the brewer has to taste the beer, right? He can't just ship it off and hope for the best. But he also can't get so smashed that he don't care what it tastes like anymore.
That's where the analogy falls apart. A brewer can't drink much beer without it dulling senses. But a musician can hear music and resist it's intoxicating effects.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

As with any kind of "art," emotion is the driving force. Period.

You may have to let it sit for while and come back to it and take another look (or listen, in this case) and see what you've got. Sometime it may reveal itself to be a brilliant masterpiece and at other times you'll find total rubbish. But that's what art is all about, like putting your soul out there for all to see and hoping that nobody runs away screaming and having terrible nightmares.

I'm not saying that total emersion into the music breeds perfection in our performance, but rather it conceptualizes the music, allows for a point of reference from which the music came.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:22 PM
Silver Member

Well, after playing for about a half hour, it moves me to the bar fridge in the basement to grab a few beers.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:37 PM

That's the point, isn't it?

I mean, I could play only to move others, or even just for the money. But that's not enough.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:38 PM
Mongrel
This message has been deleted by Mongrel. Reason: I don't know...it sounded stupid I guess?
Old 10-14-2016, 11:53 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrivarna View Post
That's the point, isn't it?
Not for me. Sure I could easily let the music affect me, but I know my drumming comes off better when I don't go there. I can't get intoxicated while brewing the beer. I'm sure some can, but I can't. I can get into a semi trance, but for me that's a different mental space than when I allowed the music to intoxicate me.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Not for me. Sure I could easily let the music affect me, but I know my drumming comes off better when I don't go there. I can't get intoxicated while brewing the beer. I'm sure some can, but I can't. I can get into a semi trance, but for me that's a different mental space than when I allowed the music to intoxicate me.
Weird. The musicians high is literally what I am constantly seeking. It does not in any way mean I'm not paying attention, to the opposite, it's actually a sign that everyone is locked in and playing great!
Old 10-15-2016, 01:34 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Weird. The musicians high is literally what I am constantly seeking. It does not in any way mean I'm not paying attention, to the opposite, it's actually a sign that everyone is locked in and playing great!
I hear ya man. I do get high too. But it's not like before, where I would become so immersed, my listening degraded in favor of what I thought was happening.

There's a tipping point that I learned to stay away from.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:04 AM
Platinum Member

I don't get high off playing but it does move me-like grabs me where my body starts moving in time. I don't even think about it-I start tapping with hands or feet the beat, melody, groove, tune- I've always done it. The problem was when the music stopped I had nothing to make me move so took a bit to keep playing in my head and keep moving. Still grabs me to this day-even if sick or wore out-music makes me come alive.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:59 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Yes, the musicians' high. I agree with you and one of the Larrys (probably both) about that. I guess my point is you can never get excited about how cool it's all going because then you're no longer fully involved in the flow of the tune because part of you is in ego stroke land.

At some informal gigs when everyone wants to go crazy then energy matters way more than precision. Recording is different. You can't afford to be spirited and sloppy if it forces the band to keep repeating the tune - that's basically just an expensive self-indulgent buzzkill.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I hear ya man. I do get high too. But it's not like before, where I would become so immersed, my listening degraded in favor of what I thought was happening.

There's a tipping point that I learned to stay away from.
Still weird to me... How can you be immersed in something but not be listening to it? Maybe you mean you're getting too immersed in what you're doing as opposed to what the band is doing? Are you going for a detached robot state where you simply execute?

I think for me, I'm so sensitive to things sounding "off" that it's impossible for me to fully get into it unless it really feels great as a whole. Even something like a slight tuning difference between guitars or a single beat being out of time will snap me out of the happy high state.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:24 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Still weird to me... How can you be immersed in something but not be listening to it?
It's called being in your own little world, where what you think is happening is not actually happening. These were my pre-recorder days. Playing too loud, trying too hard, not relaxing, thinking the drum part is the only thing that matters. I was working way too hard, because I thought I had to. I know you've seen this before. Guys deluding themselves. I couldn't relax enough to hear what was really required. I didn't understand blending and dynamics yet. My ego hadn't learned to stay out of my playing during those years. I'm thinking a lot of people can relate. A lot of drummers travel that worn out route early on. I've overcome all that stuff, but at the time, I was totally unaware of it all. I thought I was the friggin bom lol.

Then I started recording myself and wow was that an ear opener. Truly, I wouldn't be Uncle Larry if I never bothered to record myself. I would never have enjoyed the gigs I've enjoyed. Recording myself and technique lessons are the 2 best things I ever did as far as my playing is concerned.

I used to play from raw emotion in those days. I've learned to refine my heavy handed ways thanks to recording. This website has also helped to mature me as a player.

Last edited by larryace; 10-15-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:33 AM
Silver Member

Depends on the music and the situation. Sometimes yes sometimes no. Tends to move me the most when I'm sitting alone with staff paper writing something of my own if I'm honest. Ecstasy of creation and all that. I like reading other composer's scores too.