Evans collar

I sent a link to this thread to EvansPrez, a member here. Hopefully you'll get an answer directly from the person who knows.

We are in the process of changing the profiles of our collars. lt will take most of the year to implement the changes. The reason for the change is to improve the fit of all Evans heads to the bearing edges of all makes of drums.

The testing we have done shows that the new collar improves the ease of tuning, increases the tuning range and actually improves the life of the head. We have implemented the change on some G1, G2 and EC2 heads over the past year. We are making more improvements going into 2012. We have not advertised the changes as they are not complete through all the lines. It will take time as we build the new equipment necessary to make all the new collars.

Thanks for asking,
Rick Drumm

Since you're here Rick, did Evans change the coating on your coated heads? I swear they feel thicker. If so, when was the change. If so, how's the feedback?

I feel that the coatings changed. If I am correct, I prefer the old coating FWIW.
It seems to me that the new coated heads...the coating robs tone, it's too dead or something. Am I off?

We are in the process of changing the profiles of our collars. lt will take most of the year to implement the changes. The reason for the change is to improve the fit of all Evans heads to the bearing edges of all makes of drums.

The testing we have done shows that the new collar improves the ease of tuning, increases the tuning range and actually improves the life of the head. We have implemented the change on some G1, G2 and EC2 heads over the past year. We are making more improvements going into 2012. We have not advertised the changes as they are not complete through all the lines. It will take time as we build the new equipment necessary to make all the new collars.

Thanks for asking,
Rick Drumm
Very interesting Rick. Even by PM, I would value some more detail, especially the thinking behind the fit to bearing edges. As a builder, we offer Evans heads as standard on all our drums, so we're very used to working in harmony with the existing Evans format.

We did a lot of shell testing last week, & bought in a bunch of extra G1 & G2 clears & coated heads. We noticed a change in hoop design, & had some difficulty fitting the heads to some drums. The hoop seemed a touch large, & wouldn't fit inside the triple flange hoops we were using, without slightly compressing the head & causing wrinkle prior to tensioning. Thing is, it happened on some heads with the new hoop design, & not with others. Only an issue on the 12" size.

Anyhow, more detail on how you believe you've aligned the film form such that it offers a beneficial interface with the bearing edge would be very interesting to us. We believe strongly in the Evans brand, & want to ensure our existing & future edge profiles work in harmony.

Thanks, Andy.

Hi Andy,

Please contact me via email [email protected] so we can continue this discussion. I would like to learn more to make sure you have the latest versions. I am traveling and will be back in the office on Thursday.

Thanks, Rick

Hi Larry,

Please contact me at my email [email protected] on Thursday. I am going to ask you to give me a code that is from your drumhead so I can check the date of manufacture. I do not believe that we have made any changes to the coating formula but I will check to be sure.

Thanks,
Rick

Since you're here Rick, did Evans change the coating on your coated heads? I swear they feel thicker. If so, when was the change. If so, how's the feedback?

I feel that the coatings changed. If I am correct, I prefer the old coating FWIW.
It seems to me that the new coated heads...the coating robs tone, it's too dead or something. Am I off?

Hi Andy,

Please contact me via email [email protected] so we can continue this discussion. I would like to learn more to make sure you have the latest versions. I am traveling and will be back in the office on Thursday.

Thanks, Rick
Thanks Rick for your attention. Unfortunately, I'm travelling too for the rest of the week, but I will keep in touch. The occasional deviation in hoop diameter I've seen before, it happens, but I'm much more interested in your designers thoughts on interfacing better with bearing edges.

Thanks, Andy.

Back