Bass Drum Batterhead skins

Just recently broke mine unfortunetly, and thought about using these forums for some advise, I play rock/alternate and I like a good studio sort of sound, I use a fusion kit so it will have to be 20". Dont wanna spend more than 60 quid really.

Cheers

I think an Evans EQ1 would be a great choice. Not quite as dead as an Emad but a little more control than a Powerstroke 3.

Check out the EQ series or an EMAD. Just as a side note, if you break a bass drum head, you've either had it on for too long or you're using the wrong head for your playing style.

Check out the EQ series or an EMAD. Just as a side note, if you break a bass drum head, you've either had it on for too long or you're using the wrong head for your playing style.

Or you might need a new beater.

I really like Evans EQ 4 batter heads. I have them on my 22" and 20" drums. The first time I tried one was about two and a half years ago. It came equipped from Tama on my Bubinga bass drum.

Dennis

Im still using the same stock bass pedal that I got with my Pearl Forum, and I havent changed the skin for the bass drum since.

Thanks for the info, Ill look at the Evans EMAD, they sound the right choice for me.

Cheers :)

I would start with a more open head and muffle accordingly. Another good choice is Aquarian SK1. It is a bit more muffled than the ps3.
My current combo is Aquarian sk1 with ps3 reso (5" port hole) with a folded towel inside.
It's giving me the perfect amount of sustain.
Definitely go for a ps3 style reso no matter what you get as batter.

lol......a bit of shameless promotion perhaps? :)

Here's one to stump a loyal employee......will my drums explode if I use an Evans batter with a Remo reso?

No, but you'll doom us all by creating a black hole near our solar system which will suck us all in.

It's like dividing by zero.

OP should get a Remo PS3/Emperor combo or a Remo Ambassador over an EMAD, with some muffling, not too much. Both make a nice sound, especially if the former is tuned the right way.

Does Evans even offer a 26" bass drum head that DOESN'T have a muffle ring in it?
Just a plain 26" coated G1?

We don't do a 26" G1 simply because there really isn't the demand for a wide-open single-ply bass head without the EQ overtone ring. The EQ4 still offers an open, fully resonant tone that can be tune super low without sounding boxy.

Back