Pearl aluminium, or Ludwig?

I agree, get a used Acrolite. I prefer them to chrome Supraphonics because I like the slightly less ringy tone they have

if you like a dry sound consider a Blackrolite. The powder coating really mutes the overtones.
BTW- Pearl discontinued the aluminum Sensitone although you could get lucky and find one in stock

The new 6.5X14 reissue Acrolite is a fantastic drum, and in my opinion better than the Pearl Sensitone. I like the the drier sound, and I feel like it is a very adaptable drum- more so than the Supra or the Sensitone.

I have the 6.5 Acro. It's a great drum.
The Pearl is a nice one too though (well, all of Pearl's snares are nice IMO).

Not surprised that Larry likes his BRONZE Sensitone, over the BRASS BB, being as he is a fan of wood snares. That Bronze shell is really great, one of my faves. I don't really have an issue with seamed shells really. There's some small differences, but so what? You tune a drum to sound the way you want, so it's gonna sound like "your snare" regardless of a seam or not.

The P-85 strainer is an issue for some, they were fine for me when I had them.
I've had the P-86 on my snares since they came out (years ago), and have never had any issues with them (10). I like how they look more than the 85, so I changed the few I had, and just kept buying with an 86.

I use Ludwig's gold colored cord on my snares, and I haven't had to change any sets in since I put them on (more than a year), so having screws rather than key head screws isn't really an issue to me either. I also carry a screwdriver (in a multi-tool) in my small parts box on gigs--but you'd be shocked at how many drummers don't even have a drum key at gigs(!!) so having key head screws on their snare strainer wouldn't help them if something needed fixing anyway haha!

Ludwig's edge (and snare bed) is a little different than Pearl's, so there will be some sound differences.

It's not like you'd "go wrong" buying a Pearl, so it's up to you.

However, thinking a(ny) Ludwig snare isn't going to hold up to giging (for one reason or another) is just not accurate IMO--or experience of using them on gigs since 1986.

Have fun choosing!!!

BTW, the Acro Classic, Brushed Aluminum shell blows away the Blackrolite.

It still seems to be available normally in the UK. But maybe this is a sign it will be discontinued here too ....

Here in the NL it's still available as well.

I for one would have gone staight for the 14 x 6.5" alu Sensi (but along came a 'similar' 14 x 5.5" Tama, at a better price than the new and second-hand Pearls).

Make sure to also check out your local Yammie market. The SD3465 could be your friend.

This is really a can't lose decision. There is no denying Ludwig's legacy and sound qualities. To be honest, I have never heard a Pearl snare from the sensitone line that sounded bad. Pearl makes remarkably consistent well performing drums. Shop around and get what ever one is the best deal, than go buy another to make yourself feel even better for being so frugal.

Guitar Centers around here still have the aluminum Pearl Sensitone snares in stock and they say "exclusive" on the tag. Maybe they only still make them for GC, not sure.

IMO, you can't beat a Ludwig metal snare drum................it is the sound / look that everyone seems to copy. Not knocking Pearl or any other manufacturer, but to me, it is the epitome of what a snare drum should be.

I've owned and spent time with both, and I ended up getting rid of both of them. The Sensitone is made better...it just is...and it's cheaper. It sounds great, too! The LM402 is also a great sounding drum, but it just didn't do it for me. I play a Black Beauty 99% of the time and I'm always comparing other snares to it...which you really can't. ;)

Each of these snares sounds entirely different, so I'd just sit down with both, if you can, and decide which one you like best. If I had to choose again, I'd probably side with the 402...Ludwig snares have that special something that others just can't touch.

Back