Alex Van Halen

some pix from 1976...
1154.jpg

1164.jpg

1210.jpg

1238.jpg

Alex's drumming on the new Van Halen record absolutely slays me. This is, by far, the "heaviest" Van Halen record and Al does a bang-up job (pun intended) kicking these songs into high-gear. Nearly 60 years old? You'd never know it. His signature snare tone is prominent and his double-bass work on songs like China Town and As Is, is amazing.

The guy has an incredible pocket and grooves the more "subtle" tunes like Blood and Fire and You and Your Blues, like a master. This could be the best rock drumming since... well... the last Van Halen record (like Van Halen III or not, the drumming was the highlight).

Looks like his live solo has taken a "Latin" flavor! Good stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfKQKRk4wXM

He sure has had some interesting kits...

What? No pics of his Peavey Radial Pro kit...lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV4V46r_fUc

His signature snare tone is prominent and his double-bass work on songs like China Town and As Is, is amazing.

Most times that signature snare tone came from one of these he has tucked away in his studio since the mid 90's when Eddy was endorsed by Peavey. I know of a couple drummers that have tried to buy it and the radial pro kit he has but he wont sell. There were only 2 of those Koa wood snares made, the second for Matt Sorum of G&R which is the pic below that was purchased from Matt a couple months ago by a drummer I know in Memphis.
431424_10150587662745073_559290072_9362472_1838558967_n.jpg

Last edited:
Alex does a good job on the new CD, but I can't think of any "wow" moments from him on the entire record (or anyone else for that matter).

Hey guys,
As far as his snare drum sound, He usually uses a black dot, or silver dot, with a layer of duct tap on the underside of the batter head, and then turned up table top tight.
I found this info out on a lengthy phone conversation with Tod Trent when he was at ontario music, back in 91 or 92. Bass Drums from 1984, 5150, and OU812 had plywood glued to the inside of the batter heads, and was triggered. Earlier bass drums were open, Kieth Moon Style, an sometimes had felt strips installed.
Now he just has wide open, un muffled bass drums.
Bass drum on F.U.C.K. was open, Ambassadors on batter and reso, tuned just above a wrinkle...Live, Remo muffs were used on batter and reso, with a 7 inch hole .
Toms are tuned up high, Jazz style. studio floor toms are 14 and 16, with ambassadors, as apposed to the live floor toms that are 16 and 18, and usually have double ply heads.
10 and 12 have ambassadors in the studio, and dot heads live, or coated ambassadors.

According to the guys at Pro Drum Shop, Alex Van Halen turned 60 years old today. Amazing. I remember buying Van Halen II back in 1979 at Tower Records for $5! My how time flies.

Yup. We're all getting old.

First time I saw Alex play, it was a free summer show, at Hamilton Park, in Pasadena. The band was called Genesis back then.​

I saw Van Halen's first tour at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto. I think the tour actually began in Toronto. I was 14 at the time and was with with my old band. We had really good seats.

At the climax of Alex's solo the bass drums burst into flames and then extinguished themselves. It was freaking awesome and the audience went nuts!

Now I get excited if I can sleep through the night without having to get up to pee.

How times change.

Happy Birthday Alex!

Well...I feel old now too.

I've only seen Van Halen once, back in 1991. I know this may be sacrilegious to some VH fans but I was never really a huge fan on them until Sammy joined the band. To this day, I don't even own one of their records with Dave. That could also be due to the fact that I grew up on Sammy Hagar more than Van Halen.

Anyway, awesome drummer. Very unique sound. One snare hit and you know it's Alex.

Happy Birthday Alex!! Thanks for the music!

60 is the new 18 lol.
What some people will say to lie to themselves, right? 60 is still 60.
Flareless you almost got me, I was drinking tea when I read your thing.

I thought their first album was a game-changer. With Eddie's guitar licks and the vocal harmonies, and of course Alex. I never much cared for them after they got all keyboardy/poppy. I think Alex is a great drummer, but I always hated the sound of his drums. They sound like rubbermaid trashcans to me.... like those street musicians ....
-------------------------------------------------------
Well...I feel old now too.

I've only seen Van Halen once, back in 1991. I know this may be sacrilegious to some VH fans but I was never really a huge fan on them until Sammy joined the band. To this day, I don't even own one of their records with Dave. That could also be due to the fact that I grew up on Sammy Hagar more than Van Halen.

Anyway, awesome drummer. Very unique sound. One snare hit and you know it's Alex.

Happy Birthday Alex!! Thanks for the music!

I never cared for AVH's drum tones either. They were OK, but not a tone I would go for myself.
But IMO the guy was arguably the best strictly rock drummer since JB.

I never cared for AVH's drum tones either. They were OK, but not a tone I would go for myself.
But IMO the guy was arguably the best strictly rock drummer since JB.

Arguably is the word indeed Uncle Larry :)

Happy birthday Alex, you're only as old as your mind allow it, keep rockin'...

Back