Dennis Wilson's monster Blaemire kit found!

Mendozart

Platinum Member
Today was a very surreal day for me. This all started a couple weeks ago at the NAMM show. It was early on Friday before the show started when Todd Trent told me I needed to go talk with a friend of his. He had a friend who says he has Dennis Wilson's monster Blaemire kit. Jerry Jenkins had always mentioned this kit, but we could never find any pictures of it. This was a kit built by Howie Oliver, whom had built the other kits for Hal Blaine, Karen Carpenter, and Ringo Starr. This kit was built for Brother Studios, which was owned by the Beach Boys. I met their former production/equipment manager who has stored the kit for the last 40 years. It was very exciting to see this kit, and all I could think was how much Jerry would have loved to see this kit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 715
So cool. I love how primitive the rack system is.​

Yikes, that kit looks like it could use a serious restoration. Chroming and cleaning at the very least.

Are there any known pics of Dennis with this kit????.That is so cool thanks for posting this.

Last edited:
What a find! Very cool.

Now that's cool!

First time I've ever seen a full set of these. So used to just seeing the concert toms and a blue sparkle bass drum and floor.

Great story and great kit, Greg. Post more pics after you get done with the restore.

Damn, man... I saw you at the NAMM show! At the Ludwig booth, hanging with Bermuda and another guy. If I'd have known what you look like, I would've said hi!

Great story and great kit, Greg. Post more pics after you get done with the restore.

Damn, man... I saw you at the NAMM show! At the Ludwig booth, hanging with Bermuda and another guy. If I'd have known what you look like, I would've said hi!

Hey Chris,

Oh man, that sucks about the NAMM show. Hopefully I can get out to one of your gigs these days. As far as the Blaemire kit, I can't wait to get that thing cleaned and tuned up!

So, did you buy it? Didn't realize Dennis had a "real" drum kit. Maybe he learned to play in his final years.

No, but I sure wouldn't mind owning it. I'm more than likely going to clean this kit up for the owner, and we'll go from there. He wants to see it go to the right person. I'm waiting to hear from Howie Oliver, as he has build notes from when he built this kit. This kit may be worth quite a bit.

Back