Drummers on the Road Simple Meal.

force3005

Silver Member
Hi everyone. Simple meal that you can make while on the road in about 5-7min.

1.) Box of instant regular oatmeal in packets
2.) 2lb. Jug of 100% Whey Protein powder in chocolate. ( Body Fortress @ Wal-Mart, Target )
3.) Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate bars in 0.45 oz size.
4.) Spoon and microwavable cereal bowl.
5.) One 16 oz of bottled water at room temp.

In the bowl add two packs of oatmeal.
Add water till about 5/8 - 3/4 full in the bowl.
Stir for about 15 sec.
Put into microwave with napkin or foam plate on top covering bowl for 2-min.
Take out bowl and place it on the foam plate.
Brake the dark chocolate bar into four pieces and add to oatmeal.
Add one scoop of whey protein power.
Now, FOLD the power in for about 1-min. give or take.
Put back in for 1-min., take out and fold again for 15-sec. Done.

What you receive is about 40g of total protein. Antioxidants from the dark chocolate. About 28% daily fiber. About 50g of carbohydrates. The jug of protein powder will last about one month. My physician indicated, only eat this once a day. I eat this for breakfast or for dinner about three before I play.

Careful with the whey protein. Over time you can harm your kidneys.

Risk of Kidney Damage and Whey Protein
When increased amounts of whey protein are taken over an extended period of time, there is a risk of developing kidney disorders, including kidney stones. High protein diets rich in whey can be a health concern that may lead to possible impaired function of the kidneys. Consuming a high protein diet for weight loss stresses the kidneys, which are responsible for flushing wastes. Those who rely on this diet for an extended period are at a higher risk of developing kidney problems, kidney stones and in severe cases, kidney failure. However, there isn’t conclusive research that links excessive, long-term whey protein consumption with deteriorating kidney function. Regardless, many experts caution that there is a risk and encourage individuals to consume whey protein in moderation.
https://www.livestrong.com/article/261806-whey-protein-kidney-damage/

Hi DSOP. Thanks for looking out for me and I mean it. I have been doing this for almost three years now. Before I started, my wife & I went to my physician and he said only once a day with this meal. With my other medical conditions that I have. I receive a kidney blood test every six months now going on seven years. Thanks again DSOP.

On the road.. Cooler full of fruits/vegetables, jugs full of spring water. No chips, snacks, candy, fast food, corn dogs, soda, sports drinks, cured-meats, etc.

When you stop for food, stop at Diners, not at restaurants. Bacon, eggs, potatoes, greens. No tap water, no ice. Never order the special, unless it's prime-rib day, as specials are typically leftovers. Prime-Rib-Special on Friday is safe. The French-Dip-Prime-Rib-Special on Sunday is not.

Less preparation = better... A baked potato with a slab of salted butter is far safer than french fries, hash browns, or mashed potatoes with gravy. A plain hard-boiled egg is better than egg salad. Etc.

Last note.. Yes, rice/beans/cheese works, but then you have to spend 10 hours in a van with 5 other guys that just ate rice/beans/cheese. This particular finger-pulling circumstance has ended many bands and friendships.

Last edited:
I remembering a "meal" with a band once, while traveling. It went like this:

1. Go to 7-11
2. Pool change together
3. Buy one hotdog
4. Take one bite
5. Pass it around
6. Hope to get a second bite.

Those were the days.

I remembering a "meal" with a band once, while traveling. It went like this:

1. Go to 7-11
2. Pool change together
3. Buy one hotdog
4. Take one bite
5. Pass it around
6. Hope to get a second bite.

Those were the days.

Lol, memories. Remember chewing that one bite for like 30 seconds just so you could savor the flavor?

Remember peanut-butter-fingers?

It's certainly one way to go about it.

When it comes to whey there are serious quality differences. At the same time a bit of cottage cheese works just as well.

Reality is that with a little thought any type of meal can be made into something very practical and transportable. Cooking every piece to perfection is a bit more challenging, but I can live with that. If I'm out with my own car I have the stuff in there to do it right if I want to. Cooking up something with one of these new gasifier stoves is actually just as fast as using gas.

My main personal travel food is actually home made soup. Just a rich broth with pieces of meat that I freeze in portions in plastic pint glasses. I can easily add any veggie, noodle, herb or whatever to it. I myself usually do a Sichuan twist to it. Packed the right way they keep a long time. I just put as many as I need in a small cooler with some of those reusable freezer packs. Since it's below freezing outside now though I just put them in my skibox.

A good home made broth. Any drummer's or athlete's best friend. Heals up your joints and ligaments in no time. Add some of those TCM items in there and it's even better.

Oats and cacao are of course great stuff, no doubt.

Grab the coffee cup from your morning coffee. Rinse it out. Go to that bag you threw in the corner from last night's dinner, grab the leftover ketchup packets. Squeeze two or three into the cup. Go to convenience store, get some hot water in cup. Add ketchup. Stir & enjoy yummy tomato soup! :)

I usually nibble on my broken drum sticks to feel full.

I would like to see a human study that shows protein causing any kidney damage to people with normal kidney function.

I can't find any that aren't rats or mice.

I was doubtful until I saw it happen to my father-in-law.

Everything in moderation. Including moderation.

After reviewing all of the published research on high-protein diets and kidney disease, the authors of this paper concluded that while high-protein diets can be harmful for those with kidney disease, they do not harm the kidneys in healthy individuals. Since that paper was published, new studies have tested the effects of high-protein diets on renal function in healthy individuals, and generally, their conclusions are the same.
https://chriskresser.com/do-high-protein-diets-cause-kidney-disease-and-cancer/

Despite the number of studies associating high protein intake with certain illnesses and conditions, the subject is still open to controversy. "There's no reason for healthy individuals to consume protein in amounts above the recommended levels," says Heymsfield, but he is not certain that it will actually lead to health problems. "The effects of protein are very subtle. It's hard to answer if high protein diets are unsafe."
https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20000425/protein-popularity#1

Still has a lot to do with quality.

Low quality protein supplement loaded with additives, aspartame and sugar and factory farmed beef is probably not the best.

Everyone is different.

It's a balance and fat and good carbs are equally imporant. You won't have a very healthy endocrime system without enough of those.

My father-in-law is a published PhD scientist. He wasn't consuming anything that was low quality.

There is absolutely nothing worse than having to hit the stage right in the middle dual-sided projectile fluid excretion. Driving to a show or on the road, I typically eat very light, packaged foods (one of my favs is those packs of crackers and hummus) and save the meals for after the show. Usually drink bottled water as well.

One time while driving down i5 towards LA, the guitar player decided to get the buffet at some road-side truck stop mini-town. None of the others thought that was a good idea.

Ketchup soup.

I'd pass out before the day was over.

Most protein sources do leave more waste in the body, but they're still not equal. Something minimally processed with lots of enzymes and probiotics will be very different. It's almost pre-digested. Still not balanced, though.

My method would be to go with high protein grains and then add what's need to get complete and enough protein.

I'd certainly add some fat to the OP's recipe and "nuking" my food is not an option.

Last edited:
Back