Rototoms, Mini Timbales, or Octobans

thesdx

I've been thinking of buying either some rototoms, mini timbales, or octobans to extend my kit and add some interesting sounds. However, I don't quite know what I should get. I want to add some high-pitch toms to my kit, and all three sound like they could do the job, but each has it's downsides. What do you recommend?

I have three rototoms. 6", 8", 10". They're definitely cool for some styles of playing and you can get creative with fills. Another cool feature with rototoms is the fact you can take the heads off and use the the remaining part as a spoke.?.? i think that's what they're called. Anyways, those sounds cool, too.

I am adding a 6" and 8" roto tom to my kit for accents. They are very versatile and compact.

If I were to choose between them I would say roto toms are the most flexible.
I have a set that I use every now and then.

I am thinking of adding Octobans...but frankly not sure they justify spending around £700 on something I will use once in a set.

At least the roto toms have the ability to be re-tuned over and over and they can be really explosive

Roto toms are handy for filling voids, but do yourself a favor & mount them individually on multi-clamps & get rid of the straight mounting bar they come with.
Octobans are nice but kind of goofy & cumbersome & take up alot of space.

I'd say go for either roto toms or mini timbales, depending on what sounds you like the best. Roto toms are very easily retuned and can cover a wide range of applications, but timbales have a really distinct sound. Have you looked at the LP mini set? I'd say they would be the ones to go for if you did chose the timbales.

I'd buy octobans cause I like the sound of those but it's up to you and depends on what you are looking for and what style you play

I'd go with all three if I could. All unique, and can be used in so many ways. I think the first one I would like to get, if I could afford them, though, would be the octobans.

Maybe I will diy a 6" rototom into an octaban tube...hmm.. a roto-ban!

I've been thinking of buying either some rototoms, mini timbales, or octobans ... However....each has it's downsides. What do you recommend?
Let's find out your musical situation first. Are you in a band? Gigging? Jamming drums alone in a room? Roto's need PA support. Even in a lot of typical "band rehearsal" situations. They're just not loud enough to be heard (over the damn guitarists who won't turn down). Octobans and timbales will "cut" thru better, unsupported. That said, Roto's are the most versatile. I've had 3 drum kits in 40 years that were kicks, snare and roto's. 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 inchers. Octobans and timbales are more 1 trick ponies.

I recently played a gig with my band on a kit with rototoms, and I wasn't so impressed. They're a bit too ringy, and take up a lot of space on the kit. I think mini timbales are what I'm looking for, since they kind of sound like rototoms, but with more crack. Plus, they can be tuned down lower to sound like toms. I like the sound of octobans too. I'll probably buy some mini timbales, and build my own octobans sometime in the future.

I also had the idea of "roto-bans" a while back. That would be extremely cool.

I recently played a gig with my band on a kit with rototoms, and I wasn't so impressed. They're a bit too ringy, and take up a lot of space on the kit. I think mini timbales are what I'm looking for, since they kind of sound like rototoms, but with more crack. Plus, they can be tuned down lower to sound like toms. I like the sound of octobans too. I'll probably buy some mini timbales, and build my own octobans sometime in the future.

I also had the idea of "roto-bans" a while back. That would be extremely cool.

I have to caveat on a couple things:

1st- Harry's statement about volume. I found the 6" and 8" roto's had a cutting pop that was pretty much as loud as a 6x6 or 6x8" octaban, perhaps without a bit of body.

2nd thedx: Rotos are usually only as ringy as the drumhead used vs tension setting. As to taking up too much room: You don't need that 6/8/10 linear rail mount. Rotos can be single mounted and take up less room than an octaban. That's how I am going to use mine, just a 6 and 8" in different locations for accents. Rotos can be tuned lower like any drum, but thyey are most effective medium to tight. All I am after is the "pop" effect, not some tonality. Mini Lp's don't have much of a shell nor a huge tuning range anyway. I will be using EC2 clears on mine to focus the ring out.

What mounting is on the underside of rototoms? If you take the straight bar off the set, how do you mount them individually? Do they have short arms to clamp? I'm thinking of buying some from eBay but they don't have the bar....

I have a mini timbale that I use from time to time....I love the sound but really dont use it that much. I will prbbaly buy a set of roto toms in the future to add on,

I like that piercing Crack sound I can get from a good rimshot on the timbale...mine is PDP's mini and the stock head is the first stock head I dont mind keeping on

I have always wanted just a pair of Roto Toms- 6 and 8, I love the sound of them- I know they had next to no volume due to lack of shells- but for small un miked gigs they are fine--every time I have a go at them on E bay I get out bid! Will keep trying tho- its almost a goal now!

I have 3 DW piccolo toms which are quite sweet and have a cross sound beteen a roto and a mini timbale. The ones I have are the chome metal ones not the two headed wooden ones like Bozzio or Wackerman. But they are quite versatile drums.Anyway check em out if you get a chance.

Back