What do you think of this Gretsch kit?

andSometimesY

I play drums for the band at my church, and we are looking to get a new drum kit. The worship leader is looking for my input on what to get, and I instantly knew that I wanted maple drums. I also think that larger drums would be better than smaller drums since most of the music played at my church is rock that sounds good with a very "boomy" bass and tom sound. Anyway, the kit that has caught my eye is a Gretsch Renown Maple kit in some fairly large sizes. Here are the specs:
-24x16 Bass Drum
-13x9 Tom
-16x16 Floor Tom

The price is $1,076.96. I was wondering if you guys had any opinions for me concerning the kit I chose. We are also looking at the Renown '57 which comes with an extra tom (that I won't use), a throne (that I won't need), and a snare for $500 more. I was thinking we get the 3-piece and use the extra $500 to get a really nice snare. Which kit do you guys think would be a better fit for a rock/CCM setting?

Thanks guys!

Yes, the church is buying this kit and they will buy a snare also if we don't get the kit that comes with the snare. The kit we currently use is a Pearl Export that belongs to the church's former drummer. He doesn't really play anymore so he just leaves it at the church but the worship leader wants the church to have its own kit just in case. I really am just wondering if the kit I described would be a good fit.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the Renown '57 has smaller drums

Just curious, how appropriate does the '57 Chevy vibe blend with the decor/feel of the worship service? It's a cool paint scheme, but would it be deemed appropriate at your church by the members?
By the way if you have an extra 500 for a snare, you could choose from a large variety of models and materials. Gretsch, Ludwig, Yamaha etc for example as well as aluminum, bronze, brass, or wood.
Good luck!

Thanks! Yeah, if we got the '57 it would definitely be the black and it would fit alright I suppose but not as well as the selection of finishes for the other Renown. I am mainly just concerned about the sizes.

I suggest a Renown kit with a 16x22 bass drum.
12 13 racks and 16 floor toms.
10 12 racks and 14 inch floor would also work well. (I like these sizes better than the above)
Maple matching Renown snare for a warm POP!

The 1957 kit in the black would probably work better than the Aqua for Church
The 57 kit has an 18x22 inch bass drum.

The Renown's are great sounding drums.

12 13 racks and 16 floor toms.
10 12 racks and 14 inch floor would also work well. (I like these sizes better than the above)
Maple matching Renown snare for a warm POP!

The 1957 kit in the black would probably work better than the Aqua for Church
The 57 kit has an 18x22 inch bass drum.

This kit looks great. I like those Toms.

I wouldn't think the Aqua blue Renown Kit would pose a problem in church...It is the color of the sky...Churches have beautiful stained glass, statues, robes which blue drumkit would match nicely...Just my opinion but either way a great sounding kit...I've had mine 2 years already and would love to get 24" kick or 26" kick to go with it...

Personally I'd go 10,12,14 or 10,12,16 on the toms with the 22" kick. I play in church as well and I think the 10,12 are a better fit and a little more versatile. They punch through the music a little better. We bought a stage custom last year in 10,12,16 and those sizes really sound great with our contemporary services and our choir led services.

As for the 57 finish, me personally that wouldn't be my first choice for a kit for church. I'd be looking for a finish that in 10 years is still timeless and classy looking not sure that finish would be that way.

You might also look at the Tour customs by Yamaha, shell packs are like $899

I sort of agree. I love the sounds of the Gretsch Renowns, but the 57 look doesn't seem like the best place for them is in a church, especially the "aqua". They seem to have more of a feel for a fifties and sixties rock band on stage. Just my opinion.

Dennis

Back