The Grand Master Buddy Rich

Re: The Grand Master BR

Henry II said:
Without a doubt, there is no other drummer who had, or has, the musical vocabulary that Buddy Rich had.

I'm not buying that.

He's an astounding player and his chops are phenomenal. But musical vocabulary? He's not a patch on Vinnie Colaiuta in that respect, to name but one. He never had much in the way of rock chops, indeed he expressed great loathing for the style on many occasions. I've never seen footage of him playing any convincing latin material either. And likewise I don't recall seeing any of Elvin or Tony's innovations making their way into his jazz time playing.

He was an enormous big band drummer, there's few who could touch him on that ground. And his soloing chops were jaw dropping too. But if you're going to put him forward as the kind of stylistic versility and musical vocabulary then we're going to have to disagree. His range was really rather limited compared to many drummers today, he just had astounding control inside that range.

Let's rephrase it, I guess. I feel that this metric modulation and other concepts of this ilk don't swing. It sounds like math equations worked out. Buddy not only swung but
none of the "big" name drummers of today come close to his(Buddy's) chops.

P.S. Earlier I hadn't seen this thread and posted a new one that vanished.

I am amazed at how few people replied to this. I am even more amazed that it took so long for someone to make a thread on Buddy Rich. I am only 15. I was never alive at the same time as him. I feel that I would have more friends in the drummer world if I was born a few decades ago. Buddy Rich is by far the best drummer ever. And now a-days all I hear about is how Travis Barker or Joey Jordison are the greatest drummers ever. At least from people my age. I have grown to hate most Blink 182 and Slipknot fans because they are soo close minded. They refuse to listen to Buddy Rich. And not because he plays jazz or because he doesn't play death metal. It is because he died. They don't think a dead drummer could be good. Buddy Rich is faster with better technique then any drummer I have ever heard. His arogence and the willingness to back it up. He not only a great drummer. He is an icon. There should be a bronze statue of him somewhere. No drummer has influenced more modern drummers and non-drummers than anyone.

Buddy Rich is drumming with the gods.

Buddy is than man, no doubt...It's true alot of younger drummers don't care to hear him...To me he os one of the great pioneers of the instrument...I do think he really was a jerk though...Not showing others how to do the famous 1 handed roll? Seems a bit arrogant...I also think claiming he is the greatest drummer ever hands down is beyond arrogant...Like eveything else, drumming has evolved and gotten better with time and knowledge...

toteman2 said:
Not showing others how to do the famous 1 handed roll? Seems a bit arrogant...I also think claiming he is the greatest drummer ever hands down is beyond arrogant
Those are some of the least bad things about him. I like his playing though.

I'm with finnighins on the musical vocabulary point. But I do think Buddy probably played greater within the range of what he did than practically all other drummers within the range of what they do. In that I'd say he's as close as it comes to holding the title of "best drummer", although I believe noone ever will. I do wonder how Buddy would have played if he'd have been born in, let's say the 60's or 70's and grown up hearing all the popular styles and all the big name drummers of the time through today. Would he be another Vinnie, Dennis, Steve Smith, etc.? Would he be better? Worse? Heh, wunderring stuhf iz kewl.

Buddy Rich was an unbelievable drummer. Without a doubt one of the greatest drummers to ever live, and he had an influence over almost the entire drumming community. I don't that one person has not tried to copy one of his moves or tricks.

I try to copy his arm crossover move which he does about five times as fast as me. I wish I could play like Buddy Rich because he could solo so well. It seemed like he had endless ideas of what to play during his drum solos. It's just amazing.

the buddy rich live video were he plays both sides of his hi hats is what i think one of the best vidieos on the entire site

Re: buddy rich

Hmm - not sure. I think he was a singer with a Big-Band, forgot the name. And his daughter can sing also.

Bernhard

Bernhard said:
Hmm - not sure. I think he was a singer with a Big-Band, forgot the name. And his daughter can sing also.

Bernhard
This is true. I remember seeing footage of a video where he was dangled upside down by a rope and swung over a TV audience while in the peak of a barritone vocal solo....

Ahh - now I remember - appeared also in the Jerry Lewis Show and Muppet Show..

Must be a comedian so..

Bernhard

he always came down to montreal to play at the Jazz festival. I watched one of his tapes from the montreal jazz fest and it was amazing! I can tell he liked to come down to montreal

Buddy Rich makes me wanna throw the sticks down and stop playing, the stuff he puts together is amazing, lol

I have heard stories of him berating guests on Johnny Carson's show... where would you get this footage???

I have to say, I think Ed was my favourite in that battle... Buddy repeats himself a bit too much. Just MHO.

Lambo said:
I have to say, I think Ed was my favourite in that battle... Buddy repeats himself a bit too much. Just MHO.

I think I liked some things about Ed better,,,

Ed played a bigger kit with two kicks. Nothing wrong with Buddy's kit (except the inexplicable dual 16" floor toms, only one of which he ever used. The other was a towel rack.) But Ed showed more melodic possibilities, and tom work, not just snare-centric stuff.

He reads music and composes, and seemed to be a more versatile and sophisticated musician. I always wondered why his tom sizes were out of order. He explained it like he was playing a piano.

I like the sound of Ed's kit better. Buddy's sounded flat.

Ed seems like a more likeable guy.

Yes, I'd like to shake his hand...seems like an amicable bloke. He's 76 now...I wonder how he's doing healthwise. Well I hope...

Thinshells said:
He reads music and composes, and seemed to be a more versatile and sophisticated musician.
Yes, as Sabian Cymbals put it, "The world's most versatile drummer".

Back