Taste of our own medicine.

jer

Silver Member
Although the majority of my drumming is done at a rehearsal place designed for making lots of noise, there have been times when I've not been so fortunate.

I know from folks posting here that for the most part, we've all had to deal with complaints regarding how loud and annoying we can be from family, friends or neighbors.

I work in post production for a television series, we are in new offices this season and I've been blessed with having an office beside the sound effects editor. It's a cop show. Lots of gun shots, speeding cars, sirens, etc.

Although I appreciate the guy is just doing his job, it's becoming really annoying. He'll place his effects and then play the scene back over and over again, tweaking his placement and volume. In a way this really reminds me of what it must sound like listening to a drummer hashing out a difficult passage until it's perfect...

I've been listening to the same "car speeding away" effect for almost half an hour now...

Guess I'm just venting to people who may appreciate... or maybe not.

Anyone else get a taste of their own "medicine" so I don't feel so alone?

Thanks for your time.

We moved into a small neighborhood and I did battle with the neightbor over us playing. Although no other person in the neighborhood said they could hear us and I later found out this particular griping neighbor took turns picking fights with everyone I decided it was better to find another place to play. Within a few months of moving to this rural bump in the road, I discovered it was "stock car" hell and every other toothless redneck in this area had a loud ragged race car that they worked on all hours of the night. After calling the cops at midnight to complain several times I finally just gave up and bought a big fan to make noise to drown them all out.Thankfully we moved a few years later to a better place.

To this day when I hear a car revving up I want to grap a baseball bat and do a Buford Pusser reenactment.

You want a taste of your own medicine, just have kids and let them have drums!

Oh my............
I wish I had that problem. I got a little beater cheapo kit for my boys (ages 6 and 4) that's been sitting out in the garage for about the last year. They started showing a little interest, so I brought them in the living room a couple weeks ago for them to bang on. They each liked hitting the stuff for a few minutes but got mad at each other when the other was playing them (too loud!). They got sick of being mad at each other, apparently, and they both quit playing them.

So I thought I'd show them how fun and cool they could be... didn't work. They got mad at me!

Now they're back out in the garage.

I wish I had that problem. I got a little beater cheapo kit for my boys (ages 6 and 4) that's been sitting out in the garage for about the last year. They started showing a little interest, so I brought them in the living room a couple weeks ago for them to bang on. They each liked hitting the stuff for a few minutes but got mad at each other when the other was playing them (too loud!). They got sick of being mad at each other, apparently, and they both quit playing them.

So I thought I'd show them how fun and cool they could be... didn't work. They got mad at me!

Some friends bought my kid a little pseudo-marching drum for his 1st Christmas, and he has a small collection of kids percussion. It's not quite the obsession as say trains are right now, but he digs that dad plays the drums.

I'm getting him a set soon. I found a great deal on a low end Yamaha kit with a 20's bass drum, 10 and 12 rack toms with a 14" floor and matching snare.

If he doesn't stick with it, there is always the younger one.

And if neither sticks with it, I've got a great beater kit. My plan would then be to buy raw shells in the same sizes, and transfer over the hardware to the new shells, put 'em in a vintage wrap, and I can have that small vintage kit I've always wanted.

I can relate. My brother plays xbox shooter games (call of duty, halo) with the surround sound on. Loud and annoying.

I also worked at Guitar Center for awhile. I have never heard so many kids wailing on a china while trying to play fast double pedal and failing at it. It was horrible, I thought I was gonna explode if more person came in and said "hey man, can see some sticks?"

I didn't realize the strain I had put on my family on the days when I would pratice for hours. I try to keep it short & quite if anyone is home.

My only suggestion is if you're at work quit screwing around on the internet and get back to it. They are not paying you to converse on a drum forum. This is why people who work in offices will never get any professional respect from me. I know what they do for half the day and it has nothing to do with work. Qwitcher whinin' about the noise and just be happy you work in a climate controlled environment.

My only suggestion is if you're at work quit screwing around on the internet and get back to it. They are not paying you to converse on a drum forum. This is why people who work in offices will never get any professional respect from me. I know what they do for half the day and it has nothing to do with work. Qwitcher whinin' about the noise and just be happy you work in a climate controlled environment.

Today is my day off...or late Sunday as I call it, by the way.

Over the years I have worked both sides of the fence. They both have their headaches and stress. I work a job where I split my time half behind a desk and the other half in the field getting my hands dirty. I can say I have seen non-office people doing their fair share of goofing off too. When someone says someone else has an easier job I say go out and get a job like him if your are that worried about it.

Last edited:
well, you could just get all arogent and say, "I am creating beautiful music, you should be thankful you get to listen for free"

see how that slides

I live in Abu Dhabi and our apartment building is surrounded by construction sites on all four sides! Within 100 meters, there are 6 different projects including 3 major roadworks and three 30+ floor buildings being built.

In the photo you can see the first project where a small crane identified by the red box. The second project is in the middle of the photo. The third project is in the upper right corner lit in green lights. As you can see, two of these projects are active in the evening.

Within 300 meters, there are another 3 major construction projects. The noise bylaw allows construction between 0500 and 2300 hrs. We are looking to move. C'est la vie.

GJS

Attachments

• Construction Sites.jpg
    Construction Sites.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 105
We moved into a small neighborhood and I did battle with the neightbor over us playing. Although no other person in the neighborhood said they could hear us and I later found out this particular griping neighbor took turns picking fights with everyone I decided it was better to find another place to play. Within a few months of moving to this rural bump in the road, I discovered it was "stock car" hell and every other toothless redneck in this area had a loud ragged race car that they worked on all hours of the night. After calling the cops at midnight to complain several times I finally just gave up and bought a big fan to make noise to drown them all out.Thankfully we moved a few years later to a better place.

To this day when I hear a car revving up I want to grap a baseball bat and do a Buford Pusser reenactment.

HAHAHAHA!!! I feel your pain! (Hey, I think I know that neighborhood)!

Although the majority of my drumming is done at a rehearsal place designed for making lots of noise, there have been times when I've not been so fortunate.

I know from folks posting here that for the most part, we've all had to deal with complaints regarding how loud and annoying we can be from family, friends or neighbors.

I work in post production for a television series, we are in new offices this season and I've been blessed with having an office beside the sound effects editor. It's a cop show. Lots of gun shots, speeding cars, sirens, etc.

Although I appreciate the guy is just doing his job, it's becoming really annoying. He'll place his effects and then play the scene back over and over again, tweaking his placement and volume. In a way this really reminds me of what it must sound like listening to a drummer hashing out a difficult passage until it's perfect...

I've been listening to the same "car speeding away" effect for almost half an hour now...

Guess I'm just venting to people who may appreciate... or maybe not.

Anyone else get a taste of their own "medicine" so I don't feel so alone?

Thanks for your time.

I can't stand DOGS at 8 oclock in the morning or 11 at night when i'm trying to be asleep. It's so irritating it's unbelievable.

You're right. I'm not being paid to chat here. I should just be happy to have a job and keep my yap shut.

I wonder if getting another instrument allowing them to make noise together would get them into it?

I can relate. My brother plays xbox shooter games (call of duty, halo) with the surround sound on. Loud and annoying.

I also worked at Guitar Center for awhile. I have never heard so many kids wailing on a china while trying to play fast double pedal and failing at it. It was horrible, I thought I was gonna explode if more person came in and said "hey man, can see some sticks?"

I didn't realize the strain I had put on my family on the days when I would pratice for hours. I try to keep it short & quite if anyone is home.

When I lived with my brother, his headset was my only salvation, I feel you on that one!

Working in a drum shop would be painful at times, I find sometimes even just popping into get sticks gets annoying. Especially the guys on e-kits where the only noise you hear is whap, whap, whap!

I live in Abu Dhabi and our apartment building is surrounded by construction sites on all four sides! Within 100 meters, there are 6 different projects including 3 major roadworks and three 30+ floor buildings being built.

In the photo you can see the first project where a small crane identified by the red box. The second project is in the middle of the photo. The third project is in the upper right corner lit in green lights. As you can see, two of these projects are active in the evening.

Within 300 meters, there are another 3 major construction projects. The noise bylaw allows construction between 0500 and 2300 hrs. We are looking to move. C'est la vie.

GJS

I feel you on this too - 2 condos going up on my block, 2 across the street and an entire multi-acre development in my backyard. Fortunately, they are finished work for the day by the time I get home.

I can't stand DOGS at 8 oclock in the morning or 11 at night when i'm trying to be asleep. It's so irritating it's unbelievable.

If only complaints about loud dogs were treated the same as noise complaints about drummers, the world would be a happier place indeed.

Okay, gotta run for now, my boss just made a move in our online Scrabble game... we're playing for who has to buy the beer on Friday afternoon, I have to pay attention...

I am blessed with a admirable trait. I can easily tune out anything I don't like. This includes all sounds and certain people talking directly to me.

Back