John Bonham

dizkneelande said:

he used coated ambassadors on the bottom and rim shot 98% of the time? come on now yeah right.

He did use a coated ambassador if i remember correctly. Watch the Jeff Ocheltree video on bonhams page where he says how he tuned his drums. And then watch how bonham plays with his stick technique.

Take a look

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xgtiU-jNwXc

Good Ol Bonham. I would love to get his kind of sound, but I don't have the drums to achieve a similar sound. Fool in the Rain is definitely Bonham groove.

Ok. I still cant really find the exact bonham snare sound. I want to know how to get the sound he has on zeppelin 4. (you can hear it great on misty mountain hop). thanks

josh

John Bonham (Extended Studio Version)

Heres something I came across its John Bonham laying down the drums for his Moby Dick solo it just cuts off at the end, maybe one day the whole thing will be realesed

Attachments

• (John Bonham) - Extended Moby Dick.mp3
    6.5 MB · Views: 763
spoonracings2k said:
get a really deep black beauty supraphonic snare and tune it kinda high :)

Ive got what i need in a snare already. (vintage 70's ludwig supraphonic snare, 42 snare wires, remo emperor coated on top, ambassador on bottom)

rendezvous_drummer said:
Good Ol Bonham. I would love to get his kind of sound, but I don't have the drums to achieve a similar sound. Fool in the Rain is definitely Bonham groove.

sorry to differ but the half time shuffle played in that song is actually not his patented groove .... his limb progression there is nothing very un-typical when you yourself start playing that shuffle.

but yes the way that beat pulls the song continuously is unique and the drum sound definitely adds to the flavour ........ probably it would be a better point if one argues that only Bonham could articulate that beat so tastefully during the conception of the song ....

geek_boy_in said:
sorry to differ but the half time shuffle played in that song is actually not his patented groove .... his limb progression there is nothing very un-typical when you yourself start playing that shuffle.

but yes the way that beat pulls the song continuously is unique and the drum sound definitely adds to the flavour ........ probably it would be a better point if one argues that only Bonham could articulate that beat so tastefully during the conception of the song ....
Oops. I meant to say it's my favorite bonham groove. His patented groove would be in something like moby dick, whole lotta love wouldn't it?

dizkneelande said:

he used coated ambassadors on the bottom and rim shot 98% of the time? come on now yeah right.

Why is this so outrageous? Bonzo was a power player and the best way to get power out your snare is to strike the drum hitting the rim and the head at the same time! All you have to do is watch video clips and watch his left hand most of the time he strikes the drum with a rim shot. Of course some of the more quiet bluesy tunes he didn't until the music built up to a cresendo. But I am amazed you think is so ridiculous! And yes he did use Coated Ambassadors on the bottom of his toms, but I don't think he used Coated Ambassador on the bottom of the snare. That is the question I was responding to in my reply.

pcmckay said:
Why is this so outrageous? Bonzo was a power player and the best way to get power out your snare is to strike the drum hitting the rim and the head at the same time! All you have to do is watch video clips and watch his left hand most of the time he strikes the drum with a rim shot. Of course some of the more quiet bluesy tunes he didn't until the music built up to a cresendo. But I am amazed you think is so ridiculous! And yes he did use Coated Ambassadors on the bottom of his toms, but I don't think he used Coated Ambassador on the bottom of the snare. That is the question I was responding to in my reply.

Ya watch on In My Time of Dying on the dvd. Rim shots every stroke seems like. But ya he used coated ambassadors on the bottom of toms but I thought he used a coated ambassador on the bottom on the snare but its a clear. Or sometimes a clear diplomat.

pdp 9091 said:
Ya watch on In My Time of Dying on the dvd. Rim shots every stroke seems like. But ya he used coated ambassadors on the bottom of toms but I thought he used a coated ambassador on the bottom on the snare but its a clear. Or sometimes a clear diplomat.

Exactly! I have been playing for thirty one years I never have heard of anyone using a Coated head on the bottom of the snare. I would think that would really choke the sound of the drum. Maybe a hazy head but not a Coated. I would go with a Clear Ambassador or Diplomat you will be fine. Keep working with it you will get the sound you are looking for.

Bonham fills

Has anyone figured out how to mimick john bonhams fills. Can anyone help lead me through mobey dick?

John Bonham's Dazed and Confused Riff

Ive been dieing to learn this riff! I thought maybe you guys can help me out :)
In dazed and confused, starting at about 4:57 and ending at 5:02 he plays this cool riff i wanna learn :D
anyone wanna help me out with the tabs or something?

ps: thanks in advance

pss: pretty sure this is in the right thread

psss: i searched too didnt find anything

Re: John Bonham's Dazed and Confused Riff

Ian Ballard said:
You must be referring to the bass drum triplets he's playing. If this is what you are referring to, he plays it straight away but towards the end, he plays it continually though, "I know it means to be alone...." and then more toward the end of the song.

Simple, but it requires lots of practice to implement it so that it grooves. Basically all you do it play the last two notes of the triplet with your bass drum.

1-bass-drum 2-bass-drum 3-bass-drum 4-bass-drum. Play it V E R Y S L O W L Y until it's perfect... set a metronome at 60 and play it like SNARE-BASS-BASS, SNARE-BASS-BASS... until you are comfortable... then HAT-BASS-BASS... etc. Eventually as you gradually increase the speed and pay attention to your foot technique, making sure each bass note sounds equally, you'll be able to use it within a swung funk groove and you'll get that lick down.

sorry...those arent bass drum triplets. Those are his snare- tom -tom- bass triplets

Re: John Bonham's Dazed and Confused Riff

pdp 9091 said:
sorry...those arent bass drum triplets. Those are his snare- tom -tom- bass triplets

Well, I don't have a copy of the song at hand... perhaps you're right. Either way they are triplets and you would practice R, L, F... until you build speed, the exact same way you would use the bass drums as I explained below.

In fact, mastering both is essential to playing that song.

Back