Playing like Moon the loon?

Hey guys I'm trying to get into playing some who songs as I've always been a huge Keith Moon fan and I was wondering if any of you guys had some advice for me. I realize hes a bit of a different animal, and playing some crazy fills are obviously going to be needed, but I was just wondering if anyone had some pointers for me as to what I should practice to play in his style. I realize no one will ever be able to replicate what he did, but I would like to try my hand at it. He's the reason I picked up a set of sticks and it means a lot to me. Any advice you guys could give me on this would be awesome. I'm thinking maybe I just need more time behind the kit to take on this challenge, but I had to ask this.

It would be a great thing to play like Moonie but I'm not sure anyone's done it yet. They broke the mold after making him - probably for the sake of hotel managers.

All we can do is look at what the loon did ... a few thoughts to start things off ...

- he played a big double bass kit with lots of toms

- usually didn't use hats

- lots of call/response with Roger while reinforcing and tying together Pete's power chords

- he had no fear and took risks all the time, so he had sloppy moments... but that lack of fear gave his playing unbounded expressiveness and his risk taking meant his playing never sounded stale or perfunctory

- he also had no fear of clutter, bombast or melodrama :)

play everything at 100mph and see what happens

I don't think anyone can really, His playing was a mirror of his life, wild, reckless and free. I've read a few of his biographies, they can describe what his playing was like, but no one can explain how he did it. I have seen all videos with him and I can say that he he played just about everything in single strokes, flams and ruffs.
Yes, at 100 mph lol

You have to walk the walk, to talk the talk. Highly not recommended, warning side effects including nausea, depression, manic outbursts, euphoria, wanton sexual acts, hangovers, destruction of property, and the likely event of death/immortality.

Go to You Tube and look up a guy by the screen name "Babyshambler" or something like that. That dude can play ALMOST Moon, note for note. He's damn close that's for sure. I've always tried to imitate Moon's playing over the years when I've played to The Who's recordings, but never realized just how off I really was until I saw this guy. This guy does have his own Who tribute band however, and rightfully so. He does a fantastic job. But for someone to play like Moon to their OWN music, I'm not sure if that would be possible. Moon was one of a kind, just like the rest of us. No one can ever play like each other. We're all different in one way or another, even if we seem similiar, ya know? I played in an original band for years and the drummers that have come after me, do not play the same way. They play THEIR own style even if the play some of the parts I created. And to add, some of their playing (I feel) is even better then what I came up with. But oh well. Anyways, just try to be YOURSELF. That my friend, is what's important and will set you apart from all of us. Don't try to copy anyone verbatum. You'll back yourself into a corner anyways and you will not be as versitile as you may have the talent to be.......just my opinion...

It's hard to play like Moon because he generally never really had a plan until after he wrote the chart. His fills are hard to get the feel of, his beats are unique, his performance was all his own. It's much easier to just play like yourself than to play like Keith Moon.

I second Polly-

I watched a video once with Daughtry and Townsend talking about recording Who's Next.

They listened to one of the songs then they started removing tracks from the song- until basically it was just Roger and Keith.

Roger makes the comment about how amazing Keith really was because he wasnt playing to the music- he was playing to Roger's voice. All his fills/beats/everything ebbed and flowed in and round the singing.

This is something that is incredibly difficult to do- try it. PLay along to a song and follow nothing but the singing-

Then of course you have ideas for songs coming from an unhinged mind and kapow!!!

You have Moon

I agree with all comments here about moonie, but you can't just try to feel what he played on his drums within the Who, that is just the end results we can all hear and appreciate, scratching our heads on how did he do it, it's more than a particular approach to drumming, it's a way to approach life in general, within all aspects of his life, that's what were all hearing in his drumming, as Polly said, not sure anyone's done it yet, and I doubt that anyone will. :)

Hotel rooms, booze, chicks... another "normal" night for Keith Moon...

Attachments

• Moonie001.jpg
    Moonie001.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 2,702
Wasn't something like this said about The Who?

John Entwistle - lead guitar
Pete Townsend - drums
Keith Moon - bass guitar
Roger Daltry - singer

?

Too many factors to take into account here.Everything that makes you an individual,nature,and nurture contribute to how you approach your instrument.There is no way to advise you how to play like any drummer,let alone someone as unique as Moony.

I suppose,you would have to reasearch,and "become the man".I think that it's impossible to truly surrender yourself,to that degree.So the only alternative I see is learning his stuff,note for note,and then eventually,your playing will become"Moon like".When that happens though,your versatility will become compromised.

There's a youtube vid of Steve Smith,doing some of Bonhams more infamous fills.I'm sure you'll agree that he is one of best players of our time,and certainly,versitile.After you watch the vid,you realize that,as well as the fills,and grooves were played,it was NOT Bonham.

I think that its the best you can hope for,Cheers:)

Steve B

Last edited:
playing like Moon is not an easy task

the man played like a madman in and orchestra pit

he had many styles on record......but live he was pretty much the same beast

listen to Live at Leeds for great reference

some of Moons tendencies were to ride on 2 different cymbals switching every 8th note.......later in his career when he played two kicks he would play them constantly playing that "single stroke four" type pattern a whole lot ........he often played fills following the guitar and rarely followed the Ox.....he would start fills in some very odd places....would place crashed in odd spots on "ands" and "e's" .....then play a fill and come back in on the "and" of 1 or even 2 ......had very poor technique.... would rarely play both hands on the same tom while playing fills ......

so check out these videos and use your second floor tom as a drink holder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_FZVD5lsAw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTUG49Uj-s0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf0d2Rx52wI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39sNXW-3MLc

We had a Ringo thread in this forum a month or two back. He was researching Ringo's style, asking advice on how to obtain a Ringo vibe in his playing. I think everybody agreed that if you can do 50 to 75 percent Ringo, you're doing pretty damn good.

I'd say the same thing about Moon. I had an audition last Thursday. They had a 3 hour slot with a different drummer for each hour. I was the middle hour. It only took me 45 minutes, ha ha! Anyway, the last song was Summertime Blues. I think the only Who I've played in a band was Kids Are Alright and Substitute. I tried to do my best Moon drumming and it completely wiped me out. Wow! In the middle of the song I could feel my energy level starting to drop, but I kept on chugging and going nuts on the drums. I think I started it a little too fast perhaps. So, after that song we wrap it up and I am sweating a little and I'm out of breath. I hadn't played for awhile and most of the stuff I play doesn't take that much energy. The bass player commented on how energetic my drumming was. But I'm a bit outta shape.

So the guitarist calls me Saturday and tells me that they saw me breathing hard and sweating after that song and they are concerned that I couldn't last a whole night. This has never been a problem for me, but it is what it is. He said he's going to try a few more drummers, and he may give me a call again. I don't really care if he does. Next!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-UelRnyTvc

Last edited:
Just remembered-

Zak Starkey does a pretty good job. I believe I read somewhere both Daltry and Townsend have praised him as the best drummer they have had since Keith

if anyone wants to play like Moon in a band, its all up to the final decision of vocalist and the guitarist, I think.

I think Daltrey and Townshend are the only two musicians in rock history who "appreciates" Moon type of drumming. :)

Zak Starkey may sound like Keith Moon, but its no fun to see him play though.

Just remembered-

Zak Starkey does a pretty good job. I believe I read somewhere both Daltry and Townsend have praised him as the best drummer they have had since Keith

Zak grew up around Keith, and Keith even taught him some drum licks as a kid so I have always felt like a tiny bit of the spirit of Keith runs through Zak

Keith even gave Zak the huge multi level tom white drum kit when he was very young

I agree Zak is a talented drummer,and plays homage to Keith,and his drum parts.But for me at least,Simon Phillips was the best Moon substitute I ever heard.Great energy,and his skills,speed and taste also complemented the music,as well as mad man Moons many fill style of playing.

Steve B

to play like moon, you have to be sloppy and fast "unpredictably". I dont think any drummers would fall into that category. Simon Philips and all the other great drummers including Zak seem so technical and well played.

Back