Want to teach privately - start-up help needed!

Zorlee

Hi everyone!
I'm a 19 year old drummer, from the west-coast of my lovely country Norway.
This year I'm taking a year off school, before I start my music-studies next year.
I'm using the day-time for practising, and I love being able to play and practise many hours a day. BUT I would really like to start teaching privately - it would be nice to get a small income doing something I enjoy. I would like to teach maybe 1-2 days from around 5-8/9 pm.
I've been a teacher for a year at a local marching-band, for the percussionists. It was okey, but I really want to teach drum-set, and (okey, maybe I'm aiming a bit high, but still) I would really like to teach students that actually want to learn something - therefore doing it privately! And hopefully I can be a drum-teacher that way, and not act like a parent, as I usually had to do that during my time in the marching-band - the kids were running around like crazy, haha!

But anyway - I'm wondering how to market myself, and how to show people that I'm something they can believe in. I've been thinking about hanging up flyers, maybe putting in ads in the local papers etc.
What do you guys recommend?
My old drum-teacher told me he would definitely recommend me students, if they asked him, so that will help, hopefully.

I know there's a lot of teachers out there, so give me some "start-up" tips!
Thank you so much!

Yours sincerely,
Zorlee

Back