How to set up for this classical piece?

MLdrum

This might be a shot in the dark, but has anyone here ever played Harald Genzmer's Symphonic Concert for saxophone orchestra and percussion? The percussion part is a set up consisting of 3 gongs (big, medium & small. I think it's 3, it's a bit imprecise in the notation), 5 drums (toms/congas/bongos. It says "fellinstrumente" which I think is german for membrane or skin instrument), snare drum, marimba, xylophone and one timpani.

My question is in the title. I tried setting it up today and I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out what the most ergonomic/logic/best positioning of the instruments is.

I found this on google

Attachments

• imagesCA938OZ6.jpg
    imagesCA938OZ6.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 77
I've never played that one in particular, but my approach with multiple percussion parts is generally the same.

I start with pencil, paper, and the part. I look for the strictest constraints on positioning. What instruments do I have to play simultaneously? Which instrument or mallet changes need to be made most quickly? Which instruments or mallet changes allow the most time? I look over the entire part and note any particularly tricky or easy spots.

Then, I use that to start brainstorming the set-up. It can be tricky because optimizing for one constraint may seriously harm another. At this point, start thinking about what instruments, hardware, and stage space are available. Something as simple as having two snare drums set up in different spots can get you out of a real pickle.

Thanks for replies! (Both ;-) ) Yeah, my next step is trying out the spots where the instrument changes have to be quick. It looks like the most practical will be to use one set of yarn mallets through a lot of it. I've been playing with a pair of Vic Firth Robert van Sice M126 up until now. Maybe experiment with a set of different mallets in a Burton grip (I don't play Stevens). Luckily first rehearsal is on sunday, so I've got time to try out a few things :)

Back