ZYN 5 Star cymbals

Xavia_V3

Hey - My current kit has ZYN 5 Star 20" Ride and 14" Hi-hats - I've never really heard anything about ZYN - or 5 Star (Not sure which one is the make and model so could be either way round :S ) and was basically wondering if any of you guys had any idea as to how old they are? How good they are? Or really any other information about them that anyone has -

I know theyre at least 8 years old because thats how long Ive had them - also Ive checked them both and the ZYN 5 Star marks are etchings (engraved) and there are no codes, etc. on them

Thanks

Matt

Hi,
I bought a 20 " crash-ride Zyn 5 stars (made in England), in London on... 1970 ! Less expansive than Zildjian by that time, I still have it and it still sounds good. I recorded singles (at EMI) using this cymbal. I have another 20" ride (Zildjian) and Zildjian hi-hats.
The brand of a cymbal might be quality security, but the most important are your ears. Does the cymbal please you and does it correspond with your other cymbals? This is what you have to look for (or ear for !) ;-)

Bien cordialement

RD

Zyn was made by Premier way back, and were actually okay sounding B20 cymbals. The 5-Star was a 'better' Zyn line, and some of them were pretty good. I've got a few pair of Zyn hats, and some 20 & 22" rides & crashes. I only have one 5-Star Super though, it's pretty nice.

BTW, Premier was also behind the old Krut cymbals, which were budget priced, and deservedly so.

Bermuda

It's possible he had Zyns with his Premier kit.

My first crash cymbal was a Zyn. To my untrained ear, it sounded way better than any of the others we could afford, and I even liked it better than a Zildjian the shop had. Maybe I just didn't know any better at age 11 or 12.

I don't think mine was a 5 Star. It just had a Zyn stamp, and was kind of silvery in color.

I played that cymbal for years!

Back