DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-09-2010, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

just ordered ^^
i'm waiting for it!!
Old 06-09-2010, 08:01 PM

did anyone ordered this snare online and if so, where? Searched the net all day but couldn't find it :(
Old 06-09-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiBanks View Post
did anyone ordered this snare online and if so, where? Searched the net all day but couldn't find it :(
santibanks, i think that all the biggers sonor dealers worldwide have ordered a few of this snare.i've ordered it just this morning, and the italian dealer have only 4 of those snares.
it's a really small production, and probably the better thing is directly contact the dealersof each country.

haha, i think that probably the great part of drummers that will buy this little jewel is made by users of this thread ^^
Old 06-09-2010, 11:19 PM

I hope you come to Austin soon
Old 06-09-2010, 11:53 PM

This new snare drum is a 9-ply maple shell. Isn't your one 6-ply?
Old 06-10-2010, 12:52 AM

From what I've read, Slippin Away is in 5/8. The following question refers to the DVD copy of the song, not the MD 2008 Festival version.

The intro to the song "feels" faster than the verse. Once you hit the crash cymbal to start the verse, it seems as if the tempo slows a little, either that or you go from 16th notes to 8th notes. What am I missing here? Is it another wonderfully frustrating illusion or am I correct for once?

Maybe what's confusing me is the little electronic sound effects are faster in the intro and seem to slow down once the verse starts...

Thanks
Old 06-10-2010, 02:58 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoric_anomaly View Post
From what I've read, Slippin Away is in 5/8. The following question refers to the DVD copy of the song, not the MD 2008 Festival version.

The intro to the song "feels" faster than the verse. Once you hit the crash cymbal to start the verse, it seems as if the tempo slows a little, either that or you go from 16th notes to 8th notes. What am I missing here? Is it another wonderfully frustrating illusion or am I correct for once?

Maybe what's confusing me is the little electronic sound effects are faster in the intro and seem to slow down once the verse starts...

Thanks

It could be heard in 5/8, but it's the same in 4/4, as "groups of 5". However, while it might feel faster, it's just sixteenth note triplets (like sextuplets). It's not really that hard, although it IS a pretty upbeat piece to be playing sixteenth note triplets, around 122 BPM, I think.
I know you're not a very experienced reader, but this transcription is PERFECT, and the part you are asking about shouldn't be too hard to follow.
Again, I recommend you try and learn how to read and write, like Gavin put it once before playing "19 Days": "...for those of you who aren't mathematically curious...good luck.". Seriously, if you want to get into stuff of this conceptual complexity, understanding music and rhythm at a deeper level than just what you hear is paramount.

EDIT: Oh, DVD copy, let me edit this, sorry about that! Well, nevermind, it's pretty much the same.

Fox.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
It could be heard in 5/8, but it's the same in 4/4, as "groups of 5". However, while it might feel faster, it's just sixteenth note triplets (like sextuplets). It's not really that hard, although it IS a pretty upbeat piece to be playing sixteenth note triplets, around 122 BPM, I think.
I know you're not a very experienced reader, but this transcription is PERFECT, and the part you are asking about shouldn't be too hard to follow.
Again, I recommend you try and learn how to read and write, like Gavin put it once before playing "19 Days": "...for those of you who aren't mathematically curious...good luck.". Seriously, if you want to get into stuff of this conceptual complexity, understanding music and rhythm at a deeper level than just what you hear is paramount.

EDIT: Oh, DVD copy, let me edit this, sorry about that! Well, nevermind, it's pretty much the same.

Fox.
Thank you Fox. The transcription helped, I could clearly see the triplets being played. Although there was no time signature indicated in the staff...lol...go figure. Thanks for your help :)
Old 06-10-2010, 10:13 AM

Sonor Gavin Harrison Snare.

I contacted my sonor guy today here are his exact words:

"Item #11173519
Gavin Harrison Special Edition Snare Drum
SSE 10 1205 SD GH
Description: 9 Ply, 12" X 5"
North American Maple Shell
White Sparkle Finish
Designer based Chrome Hardware
18 Stainless Steel Snare Wires
Tension Lugs With External Tune Safe
2.3 MM Power Hoops
Made In Germany

MSRP: $1499.00
I ordered one can't wait!!

If anyone would like contact information for ordering (US) Please send me a message and I will forward you contact info. It is hard to find and as I understand it will be a very limited run, as well as a limited ordering period. It will not be here until late August, I can wait for a work of art!

Gavin thank you so much for your reply!
Old 06-10-2010, 10:15 AM

Hello again Gavin, I was curious on a few things, you guys don't seem to play much from "Stupid Dream" any specific reason?
Also, what would be your favorite Porcupine Tree song to play or to listen too that was before In Absentia?

Cheers!
Old 06-10-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGR8DCVER View Post
Sonor Gavin Harrison Snare.

I contacted my sonor guy today here are his exact words:

"Item #11173519
Gavin Harrison Special Edition Snare Drum
SSE 10 1205 SD GH
Description: 9 Ply, 12" X 5"
North American Maple Shell
White Sparkle Finish
Designer based Chrome Hardware
18 Stainless Steel Snare Wires
Tension Lugs With External Tune Safe
2.3 MM Power Hoops
Made In Germany

MSRP: $1499.00
I ordered one can't wait!!

If anyone would like contact information for ordering (US) Please send me a message and I will forward you contact info. It is hard to find and as I understand it will be a very limited run, as well as a limited ordering period. It will not be here until late August, I can wait for a work of art!

Gavin thank you so much for your reply!
what do you think about the 9 ply shell?isn't gavin snare a 6 ply shell??
seem to be little different...but gavin on facebook wrote that it have 6 plies, not 9.
gavin, can you explain? =)
Old 06-10-2010, 01:23 PM

This snare drum works out to be just over £1000 if the figure previously mentioned is correct. That is quite steep, even for sonor. I'm not saying don't buy one, If I had money to spare I'd be waiting for one to arrive.

My point is; you could get an SQ2 version of this snare drum for a just a bit over half the price, you would have choice of shell thickness and woods of course; then you could take it to clinic and get a little Gavin signature on the side, a REAL one.

To me, that's the difference between a snare drum that says it's special on the side, and a snare drum that IS special.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:30 PM

The snare is around 500 euro in europe. You can see the price here http://www.sonor.com/sonordays2010/i...S_Specials.pdf

I ordered mine this morning ;)
Old 06-10-2010, 03:41 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi CareyCopelandCameron

So...what makes you love drums,what do you feel while hitting the drums?

it gives me the chance to express myself in a way that words just can't do. The funny thing is that I've lost my voice the last couple of days (due to a throat infection) so at the moment the drums really are my only voice.

Hi Phil Brodermann

This new snare drum is a 9-ply maple shell. Isn't your one 6-ply?

yes well spotted - that was my mistake - it is 9 ply - exactly the same as my one (which is a late 1990's Designer). And whilst I'm mentioning it - I believe it to be around the 500 Euro price mark.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

No it's all in 4/4 and it's a bit of an illusion. 16th note triplets grouped in 5s.

Hi Deathtoll

Hello again Gavin, I was curious on a few things, you guys don't seem to play much from "Stupid Dream" any specific reason?
Also, what would be your favorite Porcupine Tree song to play or to listen too that was before In Absentia?

We don't do much from Stupid Dream at the moment - but we have done in the past. Pre-"In Absentia"? I enjoy playing Dark Matter.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 06-10-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi CareyCopelandCameron

it gives me the chance to express myself in a way that words just can't do. The funny thing is that I've lost my voice the last couple of days (due to a throat infection) so at the moment the drums really are my only voice.

Cheers
Gavin
Thanks and get well soon!

Chris
Old 06-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolonx View Post
The snare is around 500 euro in europe. You can see the price here http://www.sonor.com/sonordays2010/i...S_Specials.pdf

I ordered mine for MUCH less than MSRP.....

F
Old 06-10-2010, 07:51 PM

What means MSRP?

Chris
Old 06-10-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyCopelandCameron View Post
What means MSRP?

Chris
manufacturer's suggested retail price
Old 06-10-2010, 08:51 PM

Hi Gavin,
I think a read somewhere that you cut your cymbals used on your tree down from ones that were cracked or damaged. What tools did you use and how did you do it? What's a good way to get the edges the way you want them?
Thanks
Old 06-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

Hi drumstu,

Read this:
http://www.askgavinharrison.com/arti...ur-left-bells-
Old 06-10-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian View Post
I ordered mine for MUCH less than MSRP.....

F
Me too, but that 1500$ someone posted was way too high.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:22 PM

MSRP is just that. One usually never pays it. The MSRP on a set of DW9000 double pedals is $916.00 US I paid a little over $400.00.
Then there is MAP pricing which is Minimum Advertised Price. This is put forth so G.Center for example can't put the local guys out of business by offering stupidly low prices because they can buy in very large quantities. Interestingly enough it is why G. Center cannot carry Sonor product; too many MAP violations. This applies only to US I don't know how things work elsewhere
Old 06-11-2010, 12:24 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Me too, but that 1500$ someone posted was way too high.
MSRP is 899 on that snare

F
Old 06-11-2010, 01:47 PM

Hey Gavin!

I just want to give some credit for you show last night at Norwegian Wood festival. Really professional show and I almost got a Porcaro/laid-back inspired feel to your performance. Really tight band and you played wonderfully.
Hey, even thought I spotted a 22" Swish Knocker on your left-hand side.

best,
Old 06-14-2010, 05:24 AM

Gavin,

Do you ever suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome or any other wrist/hand/forearm injuries while playing or touring? I've noticed a lot of interesting wrist twists and flips you do and just got to thinking that doing a lot of that overtime would get painful. Are there any exercises or stretching techniques you do to prevent such injuries?
Old 06-14-2010, 02:25 PM

Hi, Gavin!
First of all, I must say that you are a ridiculously good drummer who I respect and admire. First time I got to know about you was when I borrowed Rhytmic Illusions from a local library and blew my mind with it's contents.

My questions are: do you tend to crack your cymbals and do you think they brake because of improper technique? Because I tend to crack my crashes even tough hi hat and ride have remained undamaged. I got frustrated, when I cracked my last crash even tough I have paid a lot of attension to hitting my cymbals right, "slicing" them. I tend to hit hard, but I had even paid attension to the power I hit the crash.
Can it be, that cymbals just tire from playing before long?

With best regards,
Tarthur
Old 06-14-2010, 08:36 PM

Hi Gavin!!!

Recently I read that Derek Roddy and Thomas Lang from Sonor, and JR Robinson from Yamaha, left these brands to join DW drums.
Do you think that DW drums sounds better or it‘s because the money, or other factors?

Thank you
Old 06-14-2010, 10:20 PM

Hi Gavin
I really admire your playing, as well as your effort to provide valuable information to all of us here. It is one of your trademark fills (3 over 4, of course) that I am interested in: I understand a fill like FOTBP 5:01 although I find it pretty hard to execute with such feel. Nevertheless, I can't figure out the somewhat similar fill on your live performance of 'The Sound Of Muzak' (MD 2008., at 4:05 of the YouTube video). I slowed it down a bit , I got the basic idea, but still I seem to be missing something, especially the left hand hi-hat. Could you, please, break it down for us?
Thanks
and cheers from Croatia

Last edited by floortom13; 06-14-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:57 AM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by floortom13 View Post
, I can't figure out the somewhat similar fill on your live performance of 'The Sound Of Muzak' (MD 2008., at 4:05 of the YouTube video).
Hi floortom13,

Maybe this could help:

Terry
Old 06-15-2010, 02:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry B. View Post
Hi floortom13,

Maybe this could help:

Terry
Great, thanks a lot Terry, now I can remove my incomplete and awful transcription :P
But that's just ridiculous, anyway. What are your thoughts on this fill, Gavin? I mean, 32nd Note triplets mixed with 32nds, isn't it a bit too fast? Even if the tempo isn't that fast, it seems like a pretty tough thing to subdivide.
And also, about the conga player trick you do on your toms sometimes, I've seen you do it *without* hitting the drum first. Is it supposed to be done like that? I'm pretty sure I've also seen you hit the drum first with a stick, and then slide your wet fingers afterwards.
I am not sure how much it can sound if you don't hit the drum first, while if you hit it, you effectively bend the pitch of the current sound. But then again, maybe I'm wrong, so...

Thanks, Fox.

Last edited by Fox622003; 06-15-2010 at 04:34 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:30 AM

Thanks a lot, Terry!
At the first glance I think this is just the thing. Now when I look at it transcribed, it doesn't even seem so complicated. Great job!
@Fox:
about the 32nds and triplets: imho, at this speed one can think of those double bass hits like 1/64 notes as well as 32nd triplets. I am not sure there is a difference detectable by ears, so whatever looks more intuitive when written will work fine. Still, I might be wrong...
I can't wait for Gavin to take a look
cheers
Old 06-15-2010, 10:38 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Sturla

I just want to give some credit for you show last night at Norwegian Wood festival. Really professional show and I almost got a Porcaro/laid-back inspired feel to your performance.

Almost????? that's funny!

Hi euphoric_anomaly

Do you ever suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome or any other wrist/hand/forearm injuries while playing or touring? I've noticed a lot of interesting wrist twists and flips you do and just got to thinking that doing a lot of that overtime would get painful. Are there any exercises or stretching techniques you do to prevent such injuries?

Luckily I never really get any strain injuries or CTS. I have of course on rare occasions twisted something and had a sore wrist for a couple of days - but I try to stay loose and I try to warm up before anything really strenuous.

Hi Tarthur

do you tend to crack your cymbals and do you think they brake because of improper technique?

Yes I certainly have cracked quite a few crash cymbals in my time. I don't always have the time to properly 'slice' the cymbal. However I have - for the last two years - been developing a special shock absorbing washer that has had very positive results regarding not breaking my crash cymbals. Since I've been using them the breakage rate has gone down a massive amount. When they are ready to market I'll announce it on this forum for sure.

Can it be, that cymbals just tire from playing before long?

Metal fatigue of course can be a factor.

Hi Rítmico

Recently I read that Derek Roddy and Thomas Lang from Sonor, and JR Robinson from Yamaha, left these brands to join DW drums.
Do you think that DW drums sounds better or it‘s because the money, or other factors?

I don't know why these guys left the companies they were with. Or why they chose DW.

Hi Fox622003

What are your thoughts on this fill, Gavin? I mean, 32nd Note triplets mixed with 32nds, isn't it a bit too fast?

It's certainly fast alright!!

And also, about the conga player trick you do on your toms sometimes, I've seen you do it *without* hitting the drum first. Is it supposed to be done like that?

You can do it either way - you probably get a better result if you get the skin moving first with a light tap of your finger or with a stick.

MANY THANKS to Terry Branam for the transcription.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-15-2010, 10:49 AM

Terry is THE man! :)
Old 06-15-2010, 11:47 AM

Gavin,

Enjoying the new Porcupine Tree DVD very much. Great playing all round from the band. The drums sound superb and they're nicely 'up' in the mix.

Of the many questions I could ask about your perfomance in the show, one is about your playing on Dark Matter.

The left-hand 'bounces' on the snare you play near the start are something I've never seen played before in that context.

I've been working on doing them and had a little success. (I can manage to control four or five decent bounces before I run out of steam).

Are you able to describe the technique/mechanic you use?

Cheers
Old 06-15-2010, 02:08 PM

Hi Gavin,

I am a conductor of a few young concert bands, and I am no drummer, but very interested in rhythms and drumming. I was discussing this with some people, what do you think is the effect of cleaning the cymbals? We have some nice Meinl Crashs and they don't sound as good as they used to. I cannot imagine that they are simply aging, but they are getting more and more dirty and I think the dirt and dust on them are bad for their sound.

It would be very nice if you can tell your opinion. And also, can you give some hint about a book or DVD on tuning the drums? That's another field where I feel some simple things can improve the fun a lot.

Regards and thanks

Andy Lux
Old 06-15-2010, 02:37 PM

Mr. Gavin sir, a strange question;

What was the inspiration for the title of 'Sanity and Gravity'?

Thanks very much, I do enjoy that album, there's some fantastic bass playing on there!
Old 06-15-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:

That's funny. I went to high school with the other guy in the flyer, Dave Langguth. I remember him playing Neil Peart drum solos note for note at our high school variety shows, whilst I would be playing Cult covers. :) Another great player!!!

Gavin, did you get a chance to hear Dave play at all at Sonor Days?

Kevin
Old 06-15-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floortom13 View Post
Thanks a lot, Terry!
At the first glance I think this is just the thing. Now when I look at it transcribed, it doesn't even seem so complicated. Great job!
@Fox:
about the 32nds and triplets: imho, at this speed one can think of those double bass hits like 1/64 notes as well as 32nd triplets. I am not sure there is a difference detectable by ears, so whatever looks more intuitive when written will work fine. Still, I might be wrong...
I can't wait for Gavin to take a look
cheers
I actually think of it as all 32nd notes, excepnt for the double bass hits which would be 1/64 notes, or flams. Thinking of it as triplets, then 32nds at that speed is just crazy for me, but maybe someone with a more developed ear (like Terry) would say that that's what's actually going on.

Either way, stellar fill!
Old 06-15-2010, 06:32 PM

Hey Gavin!

At first I just want to thank you for answering questions, inspiring me and last but not least your great performance in Bergen, Norway last Wednesday! :-)

My question:
The 5 bells that is placed above your hihat, what kind of stand are they placed on?
(pic below)

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:14 PM

I've been looking at the recent kits you've been playing on the tours lately. I noticed on the first leg of The Incident tour here in Seattle you seem to be playing just an all black kit that also seem to have a bigger bass drum then i've seen in picture before that tour. I then noticed halfway through you got the new black and white psychedelic look. Any reason you got a new kit halfway through that tour?