The greatest thing I have ever seen.

His left wrist looks like it'd get really sore. That snare belongs on the Tom Angles thread.

A very showy kit.

Someone clearly was dropped on his head when he was a child...the result? An ego so huge, there's no room for anyone else on stage with him!

I must admit to being entertained for a few minutes, then I just started to feel sorry for him. Wailin' Smash...indeed.

My first thought when I saw the set up is he's going to do some cool visual tricks with all those cymbals, ala Tommy Aldridge, or Sonny Emory or as a drum line might do.

I'd just think if you're going to a large and interesting set up, do something interesting with it, and not just play like you would any regular kit.

Second thought is the guy clearly went through a lot of trouble to set up the back drop, run the mics, the board, etc, to get this video shoot. Why didn't he take the next step and get a real guitarist and bass player, at least on tape, to play along too?

The most priceless part is the comment below the 2nd video:
: BenMustaine1 Where's the cowbell for dont fear the reaper xD 1
#
wailinsmash (uploader) @BenMustaine1
it's still dangling from old-bessie's neck.... HOY!!!
i don't recall B.O.C.'s utilization of such, on the track;

So you make a video to show your drumming and singing skills, but then you prove you're not even familiar with the material you're playing.
(granted the cowbell is either an overdub or played by someone other than the drummer, but still....)

it's not even the drumming that gets me. his singing is really really unsettling.

Hey Crew,

No. Nope. Not even. Naw, No way.

Hope I'm not offending anyone, but SHEEESH- I think he's Elvira's Father, or the last of the Addams Family.

Between the red hair dye and the size/configuration of his kit/cymbals, I'd think he inherited a lot of money, and decided that he was going to try and achieve some kinda "rock star" status before he croaks.

Just my 2 cents,
C. P.

Why does his expression look so... odd when he is hitting and ascending them cymbal trees? Eg at 2:09 of the first video.

Just remember it's the threads. A black T shirt and a real bad hair do. When bad drugs go bad.

I thought it was pretty awesome, myself. I was entertained.

It seems Mr. Smash has taken to putting up CraigsList ads ... one showed up in Memphis this morning, why and for what I am clueless ...

All I can say is words fail me ...

wailin2.jpg

Love it! The guy's a classic - poured straight out of the Spinal Tap.

Disappointed that he didn't have a knee-high Stonehenge with dwarfs dancing around it, but I guess ya cant have everything.

Hey Crew,

No. Nope. Not even. Naw, No way.

Hope I'm not offending anyone, but SHEEESH- I think he's Elvira's Father, or the last of the Addams Family.

Between the red hair dye and the size/configuration of his kit/cymbals, I'd think he inherited a lot of money, and decided that he was going to try and achieve some kinda "rock star" status before he croaks.

Just my 2 cents,
C. P.

I'm not so sure that his kit cost as much as you might think. His cymbals all sound like Sabian B8 Pro's and his drums could be anything. The cymbal trees probably cost as much as the cymbals. Nice gongs, though.
I have a friend who has a theory about bands in which the drummer has a gong. Don't go see them. I should ask him about a band who's drummer has two gongs.

It's like watching a really awful child at a school talent show, you feel sorry for them but also think it's hilarious it because they think they're great (at least my evil side does)

It's like watching a really awful child at a school talent show, you feel sorry for them but also think it's hilarious it because they think they're great (at least my evil side does)

You summed this up so well.

I found an ad also on craigslist for Northwest Arkansas. No offense to this area but if you are posting on craigslist for this area (for which I live...and it is not known for its "music scene")...you have run out of options.

But who can argue with this taken from one of his youtube comments:

"wailinsmash
1 week ago @MrDrumstick86
the gear / threads / performance / groove, & the vocal --------- all wrapped nicely, in one tidy bundle...... "

Uh...yeah...OK....

Back