DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:32 AM

Default Is It Worth It?

I just returned to drumming after a 30year break. This was thanks to stumbling across a Yamaha DTX kit. Got the kit and getting back into it. Love playing again. Started to covet an acoustic kit but one of the reasons I gave up (besides life getting in the way) was the hassle over the noise of an acoustic kit. E-kits solve that problem and they sound great. I'm starting to covet an acoustic kit but I don't know if it is worth it. Perhaps I should put the cash into upgrading/adding to the e-kit. No big plans to play gigs. Just basement jamming etc. I just love a real kit for its aesthetics etc but I would be limited in when I could play because of noise. Also, since it has been 30 years since I have played acoustic drums, I can't tell the difference in feel between e-kits and "real" drums. I know it is all subjective but I'm curious to the opinions of others out there. Stick to a good e-kit and rent a pa should I want to play any gigs or buy a mid-range acoustic as well ( and be prepared for the inevitable upgrading orgy that will follow)?
Old 09-16-2013, 01:08 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Is It Worth It?

In my book nothing beats the feel of an acoustic kit. If you have the space to keep both kits up then it's the best of both worlds and you can play the e-kit when you won't be able to play the acoustic kit.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:25 AM
Platinum Member

I'd say its not worth it. If you have no plans to do anything beyond what you're doing, and if having an eKit allows you to play whenever you want, then I'd say stay that course. You won't be in any position to appreciate the use of an acoustic kit so I wouldn't bother getting one.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:34 AM
Platinum Member

I took a long break from drumming, and when re-entering, I bought a bunch of electronic stuff.

It's fun and low noise, but no substitute for acoustic stuff. I ended up getting acoustic kits. I still have the electronic stuff, but use the acoustics more.

I can play them pretty much whenever I want without having to worry about noise. But even so, I usually have Sound-Off pads on one kit, and use brushes with another.

An acoustic kit can be set up to play very quietly. You can even go so far as to get or make mesh heads for them, and set them up with triggers for a module.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:36 AM

I hadn't planned to get back into drumming. I was on guitar, and bought a DTX 520 kit for my "studio" for the drummers to play. When I decided to switch to drums (a deficit instrument in my area), I started playing the DTX kit. Then bought an acoustic kit. And then realized why all the drummers I've had hated playing rubber drums.

I also say, keep both!

Although do let loose on the acoutsics to get the real feel for practice, I mostly practice and workout on the DTX at a nice low volume with no ear protection and no concerns about the neighbours. But I can't freaking wait for the actual jams and I can play on my acoustic kit!

There's nothing like an acoustic kit. IMO. That said, my DTX is always perfectly tuned =P
Old 09-16-2013, 01:38 AM

Like you I returned to drumming after twenty some years of not touching a stick. I to got a Yamaha DTX kit (this past winter}. In my current living situation an e-kit is my only option.

I've still no intention of gigging again. I approach drums as an individual pursuit for my personal challenge and satisfaction, sort of the way I tackle golf which remains my primary obsession.

That being said, like you I can't stop myself from wanting an acoustic set though I know there's no way it would be a practical purchase. I do enjoy my e-kit but still wish I had my old drums. Hell, my old drums are much sought vintage now. jeeeze!

If you think you'll be gigging an acoustic kit would be a must in my humble opinion. For basement jams you could try the e-kit and see how it goes. Cost you nothing to try.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipotle View Post
Like you I returned to drumming after twenty some years of not touching a stick. I to got a Yamaha DTX kit (this past winter}. In my current living situation an e-kit is my only option.

I've still no intention of gigging again. I approach drums as an individual pursuit for my personal challenge and satisfaction, sort of the way I tackle golf which remains my primary obsession.

That being said, like you I can't stop myself from wanting an acoustic set though I know there's no way it would be a practical purchase. I do enjoy my e-kit but still wish I had my old drums. Hell, my old drums are much sought vintage now. jeeeze!

If you think you'll be gigging an acoustic kit would be a must in my humble opinion. For basement jams you could try the e-kit and see how it goes. Cost you nothing to try.
This is exactly where I am. I am doing it as an individual pursuit. I think I will see where I am in one year. If I'm still going strong an acoustic kit for my 50th birthday is something I might even convince my wife to agree to.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:44 PM

I took 40 years off and last year bought an acoustic set. I have never played an electric set but then the noise has not been a problem for me. Good luck with your quest.