'squeaky' bass drum pedal

Grace :)

Hi,
I'm having some trouble with a squeaky bass drum pedal.
It's nothing special just a basic pearl single pedal that came with my first kit 6 years ago. I haven't oiled it or anything like that since I got it and I've used it constantly since I got it. (It was new when I got it though).

But now it squeaks horribly, does anyone have any ideas to help get rid of the annoying squeaking noise?

Thanks

I haven't oiled it or anything like that since I got it and I've used it constantly

You pretty much answered your own question. Use some machine oil or a silicone lubricant and go through any and all moving parts.

I bought some spray white lithium grease at home depot and it works great. cleaning and taking it apart for a good cleaning also works well.

This sounds really dumb, but how do you make a pedal squeak? I got two 60's Speed Kings (single bass kit, got one and the base of another in a box of parts, then got a second footboard off eBay, so now I have second to do something with), and they don't squeak! Yaargggghhh! I want it to squeak like it does in Since I've Been Loving You, without hurting it! Any thoughts?

Rust will do it. There was some rust at the joints where the bar that connects my left double bass pedal to the main pedal of my DW 7002 series double pedal. I'm sure you can get it on a single pedal too. It all depends on the pedal. Mine has a chain drive too which those could squeak just like a bike chain can. Basically anywhere there might be friction with metal on metal has the potential to squeak.

...i have no idea how to make it squeak. But it's REALLY annoying when it does squeak.

On the rust thing, my pedal isn't rusting, so I don't know if that will help (although if it caused yours to squeak it probably will cause some squeaking). I think my pedal is just really cheap and probably not as well built as other pedals which means it isnt as quiet as the top end pedals

It might not be rust on the outside, might just be rust inside the joints where something pivots and you can't see it. Mine was barely visible. Basically any metal on metal that is sticking and releasing with friction can cause a squeak. You need to lubricate that area to reduce the friction so it doesn't catch. You probably want to clean the area before lubricating it too because dirt and grime will make it stick too even if there is no rust. I suppose it's also conceivable that misshapen or bent parts on cheap quality pedals can make it squeak too, but it's more likely the lubrication thing.

The first step is find out where the squeak is coming from. Just use your hand to move the pedal and not hit the drum to narrow it down. Once you figure that out, then take apart, clean and lubricate with the white lithium grease or your other favorite metal lubricant.

This sounds really dumb, but how do you make a pedal squeak? I got two 60's Speed Kings (single bass kit, got one and the base of another in a box of parts, then got a second footboard off eBay, so now I have second to do something with), and they don't squeak! Yaargggghhh! I want it to squeak like it does in Since I've Been Loving You, without hurting it! Any thoughts?

I've got a speed king myself, and it didn't squeak for a while up until it got some regular use (about three or months into using it). And honestly, you can't really hear it at all while playing.

Also Bonham mic'ed both the batter and resonant side of the bass drum which is why you hear the squeak. Take a look @ around 4:13, you'll see a mic to the right side of the pedal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMqHqADnREY

Back